Are YOU supporting Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bigbot

After getting fed up trying to post my opinion on the steampowered.com forums (the mods there are power hungry and love to delete any post saying any little bitty bad thing about steam), I decided to post my lovely songs here that I worked so hard on.

I have always loved Half Life, but Valve has gone too far this time... I reject any "Content Distribution" application or whatever they call the crap. People are out there blindly buying this game without a clue as to what they are in for. Heck, I almost bought it before doing a little research and changing my mind. If we, as a gaming community support this kind of "bundled" software what are we saying? How would you like to have "Halo Helper", "Warcraft Whitehead", and "Everquest Eschelon" running on your computer in a few years? It's time for the gaming community to reject this crap... HL is a great game, but if enough of us reject Steam it will go away. And now, for the fun songs:

Nightmare Before Christmas Steam Inspired Songs:

Valve Is Raping Me! (This Is Halloween)

Boys and girls of every age,
Wouldn't you like to see something strange?

Come along and you will see,
This, how Valve is raping me.

Valve Is Raping Me, Valve Is Raping Me,
Game ownership is a far memory!

Valve is Raping Me, surely gamers can agree,
Eye for an eye as a corporate strategy?
"Let's herd all these "hackers" into one big group,
Ban their accounts and turn their paid games to poop!"

TFC was my favorite pasttime,
Now i'm outside to bury it in lime!

Register with Steam?- It makes me want to scream!
I'd rather smash my head into this thick steel beam!

This is just perspective from a Half Life fan.
Your game I would have bought if it wasn't such a scam.

Good luck planning all your future games,
Getting rid of Steam will surely be to your gain!

What's This?

What's this? What's this?
There's spyware everywhere,
What's this?
There's foulness in the air,
What's this?
I can't believe my eyes
I must be dreaming
Wake up, Valve, this isn't fair.
What's this?

What's this? What's this?
There's something very wrong,
What's this?
Steam's loading all day long,

What's this?
My RAM is crammed with
Background applications racking
Forums suckups won't stop backing
Maybe I will just start hacking!
What is this?

I notice anything and everything anti-steam :) i had posted these songs in the steampowered forums (in fact i am still arguing in a 3 page thread i'm sure you could find it easily in the general forums haha)... but the mods took out my songs and banned anyone who reposted them.. sigh

I never had any problems with Steam, I bought Silver, I'm happy with what I have so now **** off :)

Steam doesn't put any adware or spyware on your system. Infact, Steam has no advertisements except for the very, very occasional advertisement for a Valve game. They have no outside sponsors, everything is funded by Valve. It's not like AOL where there are tons of background programs hogging RAM and your processor and throwing endless amounts of ads and spyware onto your computer and even locking the computer up. All they do is take the necessary precautions to prevent mass piracy of their games. If you worked on something that cost you 40,000,000+ dollars to make, would you want people to easily steal and use it without any consequences? Surely you wouldn't.

People really make a big deal about Steam. But it's not as bad as everyone makes it seem. It's an ingenious system and it is good for Valve because it will eventually eliminate the need for a publisher which equals more income for them. Plus, it automatically updates every game you own and eliminates the need for manual patching which can be quite a bitch sometimes...Especially when you need to wait in line at Fileplanet for 2 hours before you can even start your download. Valve even says that an adequate internet connection is necessary to play their games right on the box.

Don't look at it as Valve taking your property away from you if you pirate their games, look at it as if you are taking their property and your own away by yourself. You have a warning not to do it, so don't do it. It's simple. It's about time that game companies take action on piracy. I applaud Valve in their efforts.

Ive never had a problem with steam. I feel bad that you hate an application with such feeling that you write hate songs about it.

Steam never hurt me. It made Hl2 available to me 15 minutes after it was released. It automatically patches things for me. And makes it easy to find and play the several HL1 mods i have and in the future this will apply to hl2 mods.

Also, im pretty sure no one at valve has ever forced you to have sex with them.

So you guys trust Steam? Yeah, and I trust Gator E-Wallet... you dont know what the program is doing, and it runs in the background using resources, and they can push out updates at any damn time, and push out advertisements, whatever.

Like I said, you guys see how you like it in a few years (with gamers like you supporting this BS) when all the other game publishers follow suit and we have an array of shady programs running on our desktop.

Valve would make a hell of a lot more money without Steam.. it doesnt prevent piracy.. it's worse... and customers like me are lost in the process (the fact is, they lost 50+ dollars from me, and many people like me)

I think some people need to get over it, its a ****ing application that you run games through.

GROW THE **** UP.

Steam is great, easy updates for new/better content, VAC, ingame messenger,warez people cry,can purchase games from the comfort of my desk.

I LOVE Steam!

EDIT: I just caught your last post. I'm willing to bet you were one of the freaks screaming "Y2K STOCK UP ON WATER COMPOOTERS GOIN' DOWN!" am I right? huh huh?

bigbot said:
So you guys trust Steam? Yeah, and I trust Gator E-Wallet... you dont know what the program is doing, and it runs in the background using resources, and they can push out updates at any damn time, and push out advertisements, whatever.

Like I said, you guys see how you like it in a few years (with gamers like you supporting this BS) when all the other game publishers follow suit and we have an array of shady programs running on our desktop.

Valve would make a hell of a lot more money without Steam.. it doesnt prevent piracy.. it's worse... and customers like me are lost in the process (the fact is, they lost 50+ dollars from me, and many people like me)

Just because it isn't apparent what it does, doesn't mean we can't find out what it does. You could use a Packetsniffer and check for any traffic, and it would take a rocket scientist to find out what it sends.

Also updates can't be rolled out automatically, you need to restart steam.

Also noone is forcing you to keep Steam open, if the time comes that you have multiple steam-like applications you can just start them up when needed, close them again when not needed.

And i think Valve knows a little better than you what they're earning, and Valve never claimed it prevent piracy, however the encryption and other custom protection, does make the pirated releases late for a couple of weeks, which is also roughly the time they would need for the protection anyways.

Also i'm sorry for your 50$ loss, let me guess, you bought Half-Life 2 and then you wanted to register with the leaked key.

I'm saddened that you guys cannot see past your optimistic "Valve Rocks" attitudes... maybe you enjoy having a program running in the background downloading updates at will, but those are those of us who enjoy control over things. I hate windows updates and have it disabled. Yet I cannot disable steam... all I can do is enable some "offline" mode. I've seen the process my friend went through after buying it.. completely ridiculous...

It's a freaking game, not a $10,000 video processing program... this level of security and privacy breaching is not required.

bigbot said:
I'm saddened that you guys cannot see past your optimistic "Valve Rocks" attitudes... maybe you enjoy having a program running in the background downloading updates at will, but those are those of us who enjoy control over things. I hate windows updates and have it disabled. Yet I cannot disable steam... all I can do is enable some "offline" mode. I've seen the process my friend went through after buying it.. completely ridiculous...

It's a freaking game, not a $10,000 video processing program... this level of security and privacy breaching is not required.

OK, you mentioned everquest. Everquest pretty much pioneered the technology. Steam is NOT a new concept. The only people I can think of who would have a problem with it are the warez kiddies.

Oh noes! Steam lost $50. We are all going to die from ass cancer!

Yes, I get problems with steam but I don't run around throwing temper tantrums because of something. My friends list is always wiped out and I can rarely log in. I don't care, I have MSN to replace it, I understand why the Steam forum mods would delete your threads. I don't blame them. Steam does not give you spyware, although it monitors gaming patterns and automaticaly updates when I don't want to (I can turn that off too btw).

Shut up. You are adopted. You're the reason behind your dad being an alcoholic. You do not love and therefore you are not loved.

SUBJECT: RANTING LUNATIC
POSTMORTEM: SUBJECT DECLINED ACCEPTANCE OF BEING WRONG

bigbot said:

You can't even see past your own bullshit, but when you realize the truth then you can try to continue your bullshit.

I am adopted you $%$%^... lol.. yeah im sure they are not crying over 50 dollars.. but do you think i am the only person? i bet most of them gave up arguing by now... im a stubborn bastage though. I'm frustrated that such a great game could be destroyed... one guy in the other forums said "a top grade steak served on a toilet"... that about says it. Everquest didn't pioneer anything... it downloads updates when you start it.. then the game starts.. it doesnt have any BS running in the background downloading things at will. And EQ has always respected me... I never had an EQ rep tell me im a dirty thief like my good pal Taylor Sherman from Valve Development did. And as soon as I make a good point or two with him, what does he do? Bans my forums account of course... its a stubborn attitude Valve has... you think if they took a poll most people would embrace valve? I think not.. only the people that are not concerned with all the junk running on their computer (like my brother!) Anyone with half a brain that knows anything about how software works knows how invasive this kind of software is.

I understand what u mean about the loading process, and what u have to go through to get Steam started at first. it took me a few days to work out that it was just going to take a long time to unlock the files (It got stuck at 16% for half an hour, with broadband). but all in all, steam is working fine for me, and i quite like being able to instantly obtain updates. and i have had no instances of spyware or adware from steam, and i highly doubt that valve would be stupid enough to put spyware downloading code into steam, especially after the ordeal that they went through to actually make the game.

i see where you are coming from in terms of your upset, but if u only wish to complain about steam and valve, do it elsewhere. i think everybody else is happy with it.

<Also, im pretty sure no one at valve has ever forced you to have sex with them> Well said

bigbot said:
I am adopted you $%$%^... lol.. yeah im sure they are not crying over 50 dollars.. but do you think i am the only person? i bet most of them gave up arguing by now... im a stubborn bastage though. I'm frustrated that such a great game could be destroyed... one guy in the other forums said "a top grade steak served on a toilet"... that about says it. Everquest didn't pioneer anything... it downloads updates when you start it.. then the game starts.. it doesnt have any BS running in the background downloading things at will. And EQ has always respected me... I never had an EQ rep tell me im a dirty thief like my good pal Taylor Sherman from Valve Development did. And as soon as I make a good point or two with him, what does he do? Bans my forums account of course... its a stubborn attitude Valve has... you think if they took a poll most people would embrace valve? I think not.. only the people that are not concerned with all the junk running on their computer (like my brother!) Anyone with half a brain that knows anything about how software works knows how invasive this kind of software is.

He called you a thief, so you tried validating with a fake/stolen cdkey or you tried using a fake/stolen credit card.

Until you can back up your rant with facts about steam doing evil things I suggest you take a long walk on a short pier.

bigbot said:

So then we agree, cause Steam doesn't do that either. Besides for the loader then there's no difference.

It's obvious that your personal experiences with Taylor Sherman is what you try to pin your hate at. But you forget, usually he has a damn good reason for saying what he says, even though i agree he is loudmouthed in those matters.

bigbot said:

The security isn't the point. The point of Steam is to create a new way of getting games, and skipping past the publishers, so the developers control the sales online and thus get more money out of it. The security possiblities just happened to be something they took advantage of.

bigbot said:

So what, you don't like Steam becauce you think it's doing something bad in the background? Honestly, I think you're just paranoid. Valve aren't going to do anything malicious to you or your system through Steam. Why the hell would they do that to their consumers? As for stopping updates, you can. Just right-click a game, go into it's properties, and select "don't automatically update this game". Though I don't know why you'd want to stop them, I find it damned useful to get updates on the fly, rather than wait for a huge patch to download manually.

bigbot said:
I am adopted you $%$%^

Wow, I guess your 'Dad' did that?

yeah im sure they are not crying over 50 dollars.. but do you think i am the only person?

Millions of people can't be wrong

i bet most of them gave up arguing by now

[SARCASM]Yes, they were absorbed by the evil empire that is VALVe[/SARCASM]

I'm frustrated that such a great game could be destroyed...

Destroyed? Steam is doing the exact opposite, preventing pirating is saving VAVLe and HL2

one guy in the other forums said "a top grade steak served on a toilet"... that about says it.

...? If you mean that Steam is a piece of cow on a toilet then you are saying it is a good thing

EQ has always respected me...

Lemme guess, you are one of those guys who fap over the elven chick?

as soon as I make a good point or two with him, what does he do? Bans my forums account of course...

If you made a program like steam and some wierd little geek with nothing else to do in his life complained about it. You would ban him as well...

you think if they took a poll most people would embrace valve? I think not..

Erm, a poll on the steam forums AGAINST VALVe? Dude, think MAN THINK!

only the people that are not concerned with all the junk running on their computer (like my brother!)

My brother is the same... He thinks Steam is a whore becuase it won't work properly on Linux.

Oh and btw, he isn't your brother. You can fall in love and no one will look down on you, you are not truely related :D

Anyone with half a brain that knows anything about how software works knows how invasive this kind of software is.

Ok, I will get a Microsoft A++ certified professional such as my father. Explain the full potentials of steam and get his opinion...

That is, if you are up to it

Nevermind guys, I checked steampowered forums, he tried buying HL2 with a fake/stolen credit card and got caught and banned. He's pissed he can't play ANY games on steam now. lol.

Here's a sample of his bannedness:

"And we all read the EULA right? Please.... at the most i'll skim through to make sure it's not spyware. Almost every damn gaming company probably claims the right to take away your game or some BS at any time.... but does that ever happen?

Hell no, not until this game came along.. then wooosh, 30,000 accounts terminated. EULA's are nothing more than "cover our puppypuppypuppy" type documents... you remember the forms you fill out at work to get hired? Some ridiculous stuff they would never do.

You guys can argue all day, but it will never change the fact that what this company is doing (taking your paid games away) is not the right thing to do, and certainly not ethical. It's called not dropping down to scums level (and yes I am scum in this case..) Valve should be the better man, setting a good example by banning the accounts with firmness, yet making damn sure nobody loses a paid for game."

bigbot said:
its a stubborn attitude Valve has...

Riiightt.

Anyone else notice the irony? I do! :)

I have no clue why you're wasting your time on these forums ranting and raving about Steam if you think so little of it.
I personaly would have just either delt with it or uninstalled =/

If it makes you feel any better, i've never had ANY problems with Steam. It doesnt take up any more than 600K of ram, the game runs beautifully. Steam doesnt download anything else other than what I tell it to.

Ahh well, everyones gotta B1tch about something.

-Alix

Ahh, the smell of justice... Or is that bacon?

Boy thats a great rebuttal Fisker_Q... you fail to make even one valid point however.

dont assume too much...i dont screw around with "fake credit cards"... it was a crack that got me banned. you guys can take the steam up the ass for all i care... enjoy the songs

HAHAHA! You got your ass handed to you by steam, then Valve and now us. Good start to the new year, you best hope it can only get better. :)

bigbot said:
Boy thats a great rebuttal Fisker_Q... you fail to make even one valid point however.
bigbot, i have no need to make my valid points more than once, if you do not believe them, then try to counter them, however your recent actions does show that you indeed CANNOT counter any argument, cause you are WRONG.

Danimal said:
Ok, I will get a Microsoft A++ certified professional such as my father. Explain the full potentials of steam and get his opinion...

That is, if you are up to it
And now when Danimal reminds me of Windows, what makes you so certain that Steam is the only bad boy?

It's a relatively small program, especially compared to Windows, and you know what? Windows has been checked, double-checked and triple-checked by others to see if there is spyware.

What makes you think that Steam is harder to check for spyware?

I hope you're not that epidemic guy on the steam forums.

R we talking about Half Life 2 now, or just insulting the hell out of bigbot. Either is enjoyable

ranga said:
R we talking about Half Life 2 now, or just insulting the hell out of bigbot. Either is enjoyable

I enjoy insulting the thief.

Too bad he didn't put up a good fight though. Started with "steam is like spyware" and then "I tried stealing HL2 and got banned now I can't play HL1!" immediately followed. :LOL:

bigbot said:
dont assume too much...i dont screw around with "fake credit cards"... it was a crack that got me banned. you guys can take the steam up the ass for all i care... enjoy the songs
oh no! you just admited you did something wrong to get banned jackshit!

bigbot:

Steam doesn't download anything in the background. It doesn't update anything until you restart it either. Both of these things can be easily checked by anyone with half a clue.

Do you really think you're going to convince people that you're right? Are you going to rouse the masses, have them metaphorically march on the steampowered forums, brandishing torches and pitchforks?

You're getting your arse handed to you repeatedly. Wake up and smell what you're shovelling...

bigbot said:

Look, maybe it isn't so great for you, but I ccan't tell you why. Some people find it hard to use, sure, but a lot of us find it very convieniant. I've never had a major problem with Steam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back