Are YOU supporting Steam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
STEAM sucks! If you want VALVE controlling how and when you play games then you probably love it.

glitched_firewal said:
the only thing i dont like about steam is that it doubles up all of my installations, requiring twice the hard drive space :(
Ummm... you do realize that the GCFs arent back ups, right?
There is no doubling up. Your "Half-Life 2" folder is only ~200MB at the most. While the GCFs for HL2 are like 3gigs.
Dont worry, ur not loosing any hard drive space.
STEAM sucks! If you want VALVE controlling how and when you play games then you probably love it.
Funny... I play VALVe games whenever I want...
You do realize that any developer has the power to program into their games a shut down sequence that they could control.
Your a fool if you think Steam controlls how or when u play.

I've not had a single problem with Steam. I particularly enjoy the convenience of having multiple games automatically updated at the same time.

Absinthe said:
OH JESUS IF THEY TRACK MY HARDWARE AND GAMING HABITS THEN THEY WILL GAIN THE ABILITY TO EFFECTIVELY CREATE A NUCLEAR HOLOCAUST WORLDWIDE ONCE THE STEAM SUPER COMPUTER HAS GATHERED SUFFICIENT ENOUGH DATA, AND THEN ME AND A GROUP OF RAG-TAG REBELS WILL HAVE TO FIGHT THROUGH THE RUBBLE AND UPLOAD THE COMPUTER VIRUS TO SKYNET GAK GAK GAK GAK

Oh wait, why would I care?
instead of Skynet...STEAM NET!!1!!!1
:LOL:

WhiteZero said:
Ummm... you do realize that the GCFs arent back ups, right?
There is no doubling up. Your "Half-Life 2" folder is only ~200MB at the most. While the GCFs for HL2 are like 3gigs.
Dont worry, ur not loosing any hard drive space.

Funny... I play games whenever I want...
You do realize that any developer has the power to program into their games a shut down sequence that they could control.
Your a fool if you think Steam controlls how or when u play.

Yah, but some of my old opposing force, cs 1.5, and cs:cz are still in the Sierra/valve folder, and Steam wont let me delete them for some reason...

By the way, why isnt Blue Shift part of Steam?

glitched_firewal said:
yah, but some of my old opposing force and blue shift files are still in the Sierra folder, and steam wont let me delete them for some reason...
by the way, why isnt Blue Shift part of Steam?
Thats because VALVe didnt make Blue Shift, GearBox did.

Also, when u installed thoes games in Steam, it should have asked you if you wanted to get rid of the old files; I know it did for me.
Try reinstalling them in Steam.

just imagine what will happen to your computer if more, or even all game developers decide to base their games on a system like steam to protect them from piracy, or whatever.

your systray might look like this ;)

3gb ram, anyone?

steam doesn't bother me much, the hundred steams that will follow do bother me.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH THE HATE!

How the feck can you "hate" a piece of code, it's so funny when people usually through there own stupidity have a problem with a steam and they come onto a forum and are like" OMGWTFBBQWSTEAMMM!£"

Fact | Opinion Learn The Line.

WhiteZero wrote: "I play VALVe games whenever I want"

John’s Reply: No you don't, when you open the game and it starts automatically updating you are not playing you are waiting on an update.

WhiteZero wrote: "You do realize that any developer has the power to program into their games a shut down sequence that they could control.”

John’s Reply: My point exactly

WhiteZero wrote: "Your a fool if you think Steam controlls how or when u play.”

John’s Reply: ”I wonder why America spends so much money on law enforcement to catch speeders? Why not just computer control all cars speed? Because that would be taking away our freedom of choice.

This is what Valve is trying to do with STEAM. I bought the Single player version from Target. I would like to have a choice and be able to turn off the automatic updates. I do not have that choice. It was taken away by Valve. That’s not a big deal but what is next? What happens if every game you buy you have to auto update or perform whatever actions the developers come up with.

I do not know about you but I like freedom of Choice and do not want Valve or any other company taking that away for any reason.

johnadaniels said:
WhiteZero wrote: "I play VALVe games whenever I want"

John’s Reply: No you don't, when you open the game and it starts automatically updating you are not playing you are waiting on an update.

WhiteZero wrote: "You do realize that any developer has the power to program into their games a shut down sequence that they could control.”

John’s Reply: My point exactly

WhiteZero wrote: "Your a fool if you think Steam controlls how or when u play.”

John’s Reply: ”I wonder why America spends so much money on law enforcement to catch speeders? Why not just computer control all cars speed? Because that would be taking away our freedom of choice.

This is what Valve is trying to do with STEAM. I bought the Single player version from the Target. I would like to have a choice and be able to turn off the automatic updates. I do not have that choice. It was taken away by Valve. That’s not a big deal but what is next? What happens if every game you buy you have to auto update or perform whatever actions the developers come up with.

I do not know about you but I like freedom of Choice and do not want Valve or any other company taking that away for whatever reason.

You do have freedom of choice and in this case you CHOSE to buy HL2. I shouldn't have to read the requirements to you.

Are you saying you dont like updates?
o_O

I have broadband, so I'm connected all the time anyway, thusly I dont care that Steam is always connected.
ZOMG! My precious 10megs of RAM!!! NOOOOO!!!!!
pfft

Nice conspiracy theories BTW. Oh no, VALVe is trying to control us!! OMFG, save us from Steam!!

Sorry you dont like it guy. But your stuck with it, so get used to it.
I wonder why America spends so much money on law enforcement to catch speeders? Why not just computer control all cars speed? Because that would be taking away our freedom of choice.
You think we have freedom of choice? hehee, thats hillarious.

Valve didn't include anything from OppFor in HL2 because they don't want to have anything to do with Gearbox. I would imagine it is because Gearbox owns the rights to the characters they created, and Valve would have to pay royalties in order to use them.

johnadaniels said:
yes...i'd post more, but VALVe is telling me i have to play more Counter-Strike.

:rolleyes:

That’s not a big deal but what is next? What happens if every game you buy you have to auto update or perform whatever actions the developers come up with.

OH MY GOD YOU'RE RIGHT!! Now i won't get to sit in line at fileplanet for 2 hours anymore!!

That’s not a big deal but what is next? What happens if every game you buy you have to auto update or perform whatever actions the developers come up with.

Then either you get used to it, you buy a Playstation/Xbox/Gamecube, or you stop playing video games altogether.

This is what Valve is trying to do with STEAM. I bought the Single player version from Target. I would like to have a choice and be able to turn off the automatic updates. I do not have that choice. It was taken away by Valve. That’s not a big deal but what is next? What happens if every game you buy you have to auto update or perform whatever actions the developers come up with.

Right click on a game, selct "do not automatically update my game". it works for me. maybe it's ur computer that is controlling u, not the programs that it runs.. :devil:

Pi Mu Rho said:
Even the dullest-minded moron would have thought to use the warez version on a different account to the one with his legitimate games on.

If you spend all your time splashing around in the shallow end of the gene pool, you're going to get laughed at.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

So many contradictions in what he says... not point responding... but your post is spot on! :LOL:

Ps- I love steam. I love knowing the developer is getting more of the pie. I love knowing it discourages piracy and illegal purchasing (it was sad to hear D3 had 50k copies stolen before it was even released). I love the updates. And i lost my cable for 4 days last week during a storm and was able to play offline. Offline play + No CD + Developer more $$ + Better piracy protection + Convienent updates + nailing CC theifs and Pirates = Great in my book :)

Shoudn't this thread be closed/deleted or something by now? BigBot's reign of terror is over now...

johnadaniels said:

Just play in offline mode. I do if there's an update -- I wait a couple of days to see if it breaks anything before I go back online with Steam. 'Tis easy to do offline mode...

Danimal said:
Shoudn't this thread be closed/deleted or something by now? BigBot's reign of terror is over now...
Terror? More like hilarity.

If Steam didn't exist chances are half the forum would have downloaded a pirated copy of the game....

Steam only doesn't work if you're haunted by vampires.
The only solution is to make the sign of the cross and eat more garlic than you already do.

Yah, but some of my old opposing force, cs 1.5, and cs:cz are still in the Sierra/valve folder,
Go to the folder. Click on it. Right click, click delete. There you go.

I agree. Why are we being subjected to advertisments when we've already paid $50 for the game? Steam is the equivalent of Gator
I agree with this guy. Why are we all being subject to ads when we already paied $50 for the game,
Wait a second... STEAM HAS NO ADS
Ohh and trust me, I'd figure if steam did.
1.) Im a 56ker, I would know the instant lag if there was an ad. Trust me, there are non. Its your imagination!

bigbot said:
ohhh, you can turn off updates... well thats a start.. but it doesnt solve the problem that its still running... i get nervous with anything shady running. I don't have viruscan running constantly, only when i scan... i dont have E-GATOR freaking wallet or Kazaa... and I don't plan on downloading this steam anytime soon

Dude you are a paranoid little whiner. There is no f*cking way that you will get a virus when using Steam. You just need to shut up and deal with it. There are no shady background programs, there is no spyware and there are no advertisements for anything other than occasional Valve advertisements. If we all knew how much money Valve spends per year on advertisements, it would shock us. How often do you see Valve adverts in magazines and billboards and newspapers? Pretty much never. However, other companies use Half-Life 2 to sell their own stuff (ATI).

You got banned because you stole from Valve. It's common sense man. Valve won't just take away your rights to play HL2, they'll take away all of your games. I think it's time for an example. Okay...lets say you have this neighbor who you let in your house. You go in the kitchen and when you come back, you realize that your neighbor and your plasma television are gone. Now, do you do the smart thing and never let them in your house again, or do you invite them back for some more stealing?

So do you understand now?

Either way, you really need to stop worring about having your security breached. It's just a computer and whatever happens to it can always be fixed. Valve is not out to get you, they just make games and use their Steam Network as a place for you to easily enjoy them.

And yes, it is safe, you can take off that tin-foil hat now.

It is too late to insult him, he is running away to mexico

bigbot said:
I'm saddened that you guys cannot see past your optimistic "Valve Rocks" attitudes... maybe you enjoy having a program running in the background downloading updates at will, but those are those of us who enjoy control over things. I hate windows updates and have it disabled. Yet I cannot disable steam... all I can do is enable some "offline" mode. I've seen the process my friend went through after buying it.. completely ridiculous...

It's a freaking game, not a $10,000 video processing program... this level of security and privacy breaching is not required.

Dude get more RAM if its hogging your system resources...

Steam is good for (most) users and good for the industry. Automatic patches and content delivery is great. Cutting out publishers/retailers means more money to devs and bigger budgets for games.

I dont see how anybody could have a problem with it. The resource argument is bullox: if you dont want to run it in the background then dont.. just load it when you want to play. The only people who have a legitamate beef are those without internet connections.

So I take it you don't use any P2P programs either then? They come with bundled software too ya know!

I like steam because it has all my games in a handy location, and carries a lot of my basic settings across from game to game such screen resolutions and video card settings.

Besides, Valve's steam subscriber agreement, which you would have had to agree to if you have ever installed steam states the following:

10. EXCLUSIVE REMEDIES
A. EXCLUSIVE REMEDY--STEAM AND STEAM SOFTWARE.

YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY FOR ANY DISPUTE WITH VALVE WITH REGARD TO STEAM OR THE STEAM SOFTWARE IS TO DISCONTINUE USE OF STEAM AND CANCEL YOUR ACCOUNT. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR THE LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS, VALVE, ITS LICENSORS, AND THEIR AFFILIATES LIABILITY SHALL BE LIMITED TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.

In other words, when you installed steam you agreed that if you have any disagreements at all with the way the program works, that you sole and exclusive solution is to stop using steam and cancel your account. By sole and exclusive, that means that is all you agreed to do, and by trying to encourage others to stop using steam, you are breaching the agreement you agreed to. That is most likely why the deleted your posts :)

Annnnd closed.

For Spam.
And Flames.
And general "being a really badly damaged, derailed trainwreck of a thread" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back