At last - Sept 30th Confirmed by VALVe at ECTS

Unless VU already has a contract for all of the expansions to HL2 (it is possible)... they won't pull any crap that will anger Valve and make them move to another publisher for the distribution of TF2, CS2, DOD2, etc. The follow-ups will be worth much more than the extra copies of HL2 they could sell.

If VU pushes it back to sell a few extra copies I might be forced to boycott purchasing anything VU touches (I'll get HL2 via Steam)... but if Valve needs extra time to fix bugs I won't mind.

the game is coming fast... And i need a new comp... I have the money ( 2500$ ) but i don't know what to buy.... Geforce or Ati, amd or athlon :)

I'm along way from a new computer, but that won't stop me from buying the game.

It is nice that were finall getting a official statement on this whole thing, although I wonder if Coombar is being overly optimistic.... In any case, that's great news!

/me pukes from excitement

actually when I first saw this game I was giddy with excitement

now im just like "Woot, this game will ownz"

Originally posted by Feath
Great News. In your face, EB Guys.

Also, does anyone else remember this?:

I REMEMBER IT! I was just about to bring my own screenshot (yes, I took one too!) of it! Hehe, this is gonna be great.

In responce to somthing that was said about 3 pages ago :p

I doubt Valve would state this at somthing as big as ECTS , so close to the release date if it was not true.

Also.

Would VU really allow Valve employes to run around shouting release dates if they wernt true?

My two cents =)

Originally posted by Feath
13th of September is the reported Gold Date.

Im sorry, but what do you mean by the game going Gold? Dose that mean that they've printed so many copies of it? or that they've finnished with it and have a final version?

Originally posted by Fender357
Im sorry, but what do you mean by the game going Gold? Dose that mean that they've printed so many copies of it? or that they've finnished with it and have a final version?

going gold means that the code for the game has been finalized and burned onto a master disc, which is then sent to be manufactured.

as for 13th of sept. being the gold date, thats just an approximation from some german magazine/website, the game wont go gold until valve feels its finished, whether thats sept 13th or septermber 28th or october 31st its upto them, i think its pretty funny that people are taking the sept. 13th line like it was passed down from god or something.

Originally posted by Fender357

Let me try my crappy defination...

Basically when a game goes gold, it means they can start mass producing it and sell it soon afterwards. It means that they've complteted the code, fixed up the bugs, and so forth....

EDIT: Nevermind...someone got to it before me.:cheers:

The term "gold" comes from the fact that early CD writables used gold foil, so a master disc was literally pressed onto a gold CD. This is why they'd say that a project has "gone gold". While CD writables aren't made out of gold foil any more, the term is still used out of tradition.

Originally posted by Tyl3n0L
the game is coming fast... And i need a new comp... I have the money ( 2500$ ) but i don't know what to buy.... Geforce or Ati, amd or athlon :)

First off for Half-life 2 get ATI, for DOOM 3 Go Nvidia.....

Why? - Half-life 2 uses the directX to the EXTREAME! and ATI specifies in mainly in Direct X and so you will get better frame rates in HL2 with 9800 PRO then a 5900 ULTRA.

- Doom 3 uses a advanced version of Open GL which Nvidia is has made its cards for pretty much, it does directX ok but it really shines in open gl.

2nd off AMD and ATHLON are the same thing ...LOL i think you meant Intel..... and for processors it really depends how much you want to spend, for 300-400 you can get a P4 3.0GHz 800MHz fsb Intel that is faster then any AMD chip out there.

33 days, 1 hour, 52 minutes, 0 seconds from the time of this post.

That means that Valve has 16 days left to finish HL2. I really hope they can pull it off.

Cus if they don't...
/me shakes his fist in the general direction of Valve HQ.

Yes where I live, which I think is just a little off from the time at Valve HQ right now.

I cant believe Im saying this, but Half-Life 2 is going to be the 2nd game I EVER bought, the 1st one ironicaly was the original Half-Life :)
Come on Valve, finish this sucker up and release it so I can THROW MY MONEY AT YOU :D

they have said the 30th numerious times, and i have no doubts on their word.

Its funny when people say "If they release it holiday it will make more money." Thats BS. Hl1 is still ****ing selling! i dont think 1 month will make that big of a damn difference. Millions will buy it this christmas, and next christmas, and after that....after that...blah blah. This is not a game that people will forget about after one holiday season. They dont need to worry about selling as many as they can right this damn minute. Weeeeee HL2 pwwwnnnsssss

WHAT ?
30 Sept !!
omg I cant breath...i cant breath....

It will be out toward the end of October, possibly first week of November. That is just my guess. I will be a man and admit when/if I get proven wrong. I just don't see any possibly way the gold announcement will be until the end of Sept.

Originally posted by FluxCap
I just don't see any possibly way the gold announcement will be until the end of Sept.

You are just one of the MANY people who assume that they know how far Valve has got with Half Life 2.

I mean, where do you people get your information from? There hasn't been a preview for months, and we've all seen the same videos. There has been no up to date information on the progress of Half Life 2.

And a guy from VALVE says they can make The 30th of September release date.

He's in a better postition to know don't you think?

rage_fan, that's cool!

acid trip...is that because you steal all your other games or because you just don't buy any?

I figured a countdown clock would be starting soon.

They need to release on Sept 30th just to prove it can be done.

Sure, there will be bugs they couldn't account for. Get the game out there on the 30th. Find the bugs, then
Re-Gold the game so the newest update goes in the boxes that will be shipped for the holidays.

I e-mailed my shop where i pre-ordered half-life2. They say that the publisher ensured that 30 September absolutly NOT the good release date is. They say that the release date that has been given 21 November is. ;( ;(

(not good english, i had to translate it in my one words).
This is the truth, i really got this e-mail from my costumerservice. It;s one of hte biggest internet shops there is. (bol.com).

I don't get this either, don't blame me for saying this, i only say what i have got e-mailed. I don't know what is going on, but they say they have contact the publisher personaly (i think that is vivendi). They got this answer. Ik think this is no mistake, because they are really proffesionally.

I don't think Vivendi or Gabe, had confirmed 30 September. I don;t know for sure, but I never heard Gabe officiale confirmed it. Why doesn't he do that?

AARGHHH :flame: :flame:

I am just disapointed, maybe I or they will have it wrong. I DON'T KNOW?:x

Sure, there will be bugs they couldn't account for. Get the game out there on the 30th. Find the bugs, then
FOR GOD'S SAKE NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Please god they should get the game as bug free as single player HL was before release, i.e. better than most PC games.

Kenny. I'm going to be nice to you about this. Please understand that everyone and their grandmother has asked their local store, be it EB or bol.com or amazon or toy 'r' us, claiming that their store assured them it was delayed. Despite this, and considering that stores are often wrong and usually have no idea what they are talking about, the people on this forum trust Valve. So when Valve says the Sept. 30 date is still on, we tend to believe them. And it is frustrating for someone new to post more crap like this, as if we could possibly care.

BUT BUT, where should I order Half-Life 2 then??

I don't want pre-order HL2 on a shop that sends the game when it is already a month old:cool:

Please help me!

EDIT: just one question, has Gabe personally confirmed it, or has anyone send an e-mail?

Feath,

I get my information from the same place everyone else does, the only place you can, forums like this or "official" announcements from sites. If you honestly believe it will be the 30th as the release date then I am happy for you but it isn't going to happen.

Even though I am being pessimistic I want to play this game as much as anyone but the fact remains that a comment like this one using the word "tight" for making the date doesn't really sound like it will make it. Then you have to deal with Vivendi and the publishing.

Originally posted by FluxCap
Feath,

I get my information from the same place everyone else does, the only place you can, forums like this or "official" announcements from sites. If you honestly believe it will be the 30th as the release date then I am happy for you but it isn't going to happen.

Even though I am being pessimistic I want to play this game as much as anyone but the fact remains that a comment like this one using the word "tight" for making the date doesn't really sound like it will make it. Then you have to deal with Vivendi and the publishing.

I also have my doubts, sorry. Don't flame me.

I am just trying to be realistic and I pray this is true but I don't want to see a lot of pissed off people when it turns out to be untrue. The best we can hope for in my opinion is the gold announcement or the HL2 benchmark (which would hold me over for a while). One possiblity is that Valve would release the benchmark utility about the same time they announce gold, that would be great.

the benching utility would hold me over through any delay no matter how long.

Why?

All it would do was show scenes from random shit using hl2 graphics.

Just because it isn't a video and it will let a lot of people know how well or not so well their machines will run the game...

Back