ATI or NVIDIA?

• ATI

Votes: 121 72.0%
  • NVIDIA

Votes: 47 28.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm... Geforce FX 5900 Ultra is the leading performance card right now overally. It wins the majority of the benchmarks... so I don't know where the above post came from.... probably from ATI-land.

Geforce FX 5800 Ultra beats even the Radeon 9800 PRO in certain benchmarks... does that make it a better card? No... the one that wins the majority is the better card.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Whether ATI cards work better with HL2 FSAA accidentally or by design, you can't deny that it's a fact.

Again....

If FSAA works at all (correctly) then why wasnt it on in the videos? Where exactly are you getting your info saying that FSAA works and only works on ATI cards?

Originally posted by qckbeam
I wrote an e-mail to Valve asking why they decided to keep AA off for the videos and here is what they had to say:

There are problems with the way that current hardware implements FSAA. If you enable it, you will see a lot of artifacts on polygon boundaries due to the way that they sample texture subrects with FSAA enabled. We are working with the harware companies and the DirectX team to make sure that future hardware doesn't have this problem.
Gary

I guess this means that Half-Life 2 looks bad with AA enabled [at the moment]

Where does it say anything about ATI being able to run it correctly with FSAA?

It doesn't. It says that at the moment it can't.... Self explanatory isn't it?

I can't believe how many brainwashed noobs lurk these forums. Nvidia was the king until the 5800 Ultra. The 5900 Ultra is a GOOD CARD. All of these people are running around bashing Nvidia and talking about how the 9700 and 9800 Pro are so much better than any of Nvidia's cards. The 5900 Ultra beats any ATI card with FSAA and AF activated. Only recently has ATI become an equally good company as Nvidia.

That was my entire point, read my first post. Lone say's "AT cards work better with HL2 FSAA", "Its a fact"......... truth is HL2 FSAA doesnt work right now.

I think the difference between the nVIDIA and the ATi is the same as the difference between the AMD and the Pentium. IMHO neither are better, I'm sure a lot of other people do. Then there's people that like ATi more. Then there's people that like nVidia more. But it's a pretty much equal spread.

And it's pretty much the same with AMD or Pentium. There's always going to be this argument.
Gabe says the best card to run the game at the moment is ATi, but even that's probably just his personal opinion.

Everyone should agree to disagree.

Another.

Those pretty much sum it all up. If you have the cash go for the 9800. If you dont want to spend that much but have like 200 bucks, go for the 9600, if you are very strapped for cash, go for the 5200 (the one I have, my gf4 ti4200 burnt out after overclocking it a bit too much).

Originally posted by subs
ati , cuz nvidia u can't do fsaa in hl2...hhahaha

but who knows they may fix it rite?

wats fsaa? does this mean hl2 wont work with nVidia graphics card?

:eek: ;( :flame:

Full Screen Anti-Aliasing = FSAA.

This is only a setting that gets rid of the rough edges, or "jaggies" as they are called, from any 3d object in a game.

FSAA doesnt work in HL2 yet, but nvidia and ati cards will run the game fine without it.

FSAA =full-scene anti-aliasing, reducing jaggies along the edges (lines) of objects.

You dont need it to play HL2 and it doesnt work on ATI either right now. Valve is working to fix it on both ATI and NVIDIA cards.

Edit: Damn... beat me to it.

Originally posted by Kamakiri
I'm really shitty at nVidia. Because when they brought out 3DFX they didn't support all those Voodoo cards anymore and everyone had to get rid of them once Windows XP came out.

Sure there are 3rd party drivers but they aren't that good and that's not the point.

same here.. and ya know its just too bad theres no more 3DFX.. one can only imagine the competition between 3 companies as opposed to 2.. us gamers would benefit from something like this.

Originally posted by Chris_D
3DFX :cheese:

hehe ya :) i have a voodoo3... needless to say, an upgrade is neccessary but i'll tell anyone that wants to know, at the time i bought the voodoo3, it was the best bang for my buck..

yes there were other more expensive cards out there at the same time.. but as soon as money becomes an issue, the "best bang for ur buck" element brings 3DFX to mind..

Chris_D said it best.. theres always going to be arguements about whos the best.. we can agree to disagree

at best what one can do is, own one brand one time around, then when its time to upgrade, give the other brand a try.. and from there see which brand keeps u the happiest the longest and stick with it :)

Originally posted by mrBadger
I would like to point out that in 'real' games the GeForce FX 5900 gave a better rate of FPS on maximum settings than the equivilent ATi card. Thank you

keep your few extra fps while i enjoy my AA playing HL2

LoL why buy a video card for one game... if you had to get any, get the fx 5900 which is best for all games, maybe not hlz cuz valve is stupid.

I have an nvidia card but have started saving for a new ATI card, as long as I can run the game until I get my new card then I will be happy.

Dear crabcakes66,

Originally posted by SilverBullet
FSAA =full-scene anti-aliasing, reducing jaggies along the edges (lines) of objects.

You dont need it to play HL2 and it doesnt work on ATI either right now. Valve is working to fix it on both ATI and NVIDIA cards.

Edit: Damn... beat me to it.

Who cares which card.....I have a Geforce 4 ti 4600 and the game is going to rock and look gorgeous, forget getting the latest ati or geforce card....its not going to look all that much different then mine...and mine has fast performance.....newest card may mean a few more features however it does not mean its as fast as previous cards

Originally posted by maximus0402
Who cares which card.....I have a Geforce 4 ti 4600 and the game is going to rock and look gorgeous, forget getting the latest ati or geforce card....its not going to look all that much different then mine...and mine has fast performance.....newest card may mean a few more features however it does not mean its as fast as previous cards
Of course it wont be a speed difference. HL2 will automatically scale down your game from DX9 to DX8 (or 8.1 I beleive in this case) and lower detail to keep you at the same speed of a 9800 Pro :D

Btw, yes its going to look different in a very important area. Cause the people with the latest ATI, even if the FSAA fail, will have trilinear 16xAF.
To keep up in speed Nvidia will probably force bilinear filtering, and that is assuming you can run with enough speed for AF in the first place :rolleyes:

Actually I think there won’t big difference between Nvidia or Ati cards at all. It is if you won’t spend hours looking for mistakes. I think people went completely nuts with all these next generation cards. I would choose 9700 pro over 9800 pro any day, because of the lower price and because I know it will last for a LONG time. Also I see people go crazy about fps too. I don’t see our eye can even see difference between 65 fps and 100 fps.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Actually I think there won’t big difference between Nvidia or Ati cards at all. It is if you won’t spend hours looking for mistakes. I think people went completely nuts with all these next generation cards. I would choose 9700 pro over 9800 pro any day, because of the lower price and because I know it will last for a LONG time. Also I see people go crazy about fps too. I don’t see our eye can even see difference between 65 fps and 100 fps.

I'm pretty sure most people don't even think of getting a Radeon 9800 or the nVidia equivalent at this point. You have to realise the vast majority of gamers worldwide DON'T have the resources or will to get all the lates and greatest. They know just as well as Valve does that you don't *need* the most powerful graphics card avaliable on the market to enjoy the game.

What I'm trying to say is that no one cares if you get some jaggies or somesuch - and it sure as hell ain't worth buying a new video card for.

Originally posted by dawdler
Of course it wont be a speed difference. HL2 will automatically scale down your game from DX9 to DX8 (or 8.1 I beleive in this case)

ARRRGGGGH will it never end. HL2 IS NOT A DX9 GAME, FOR GODS SAKE...... :flame:

It has DX9 features. What the hell else do you need to be a DX9 game?

it isn't? but gabe said it has elite dx9 capabilities....

Originally posted by mrBadger
ARRRGGGGH will it never end. HL2 IS NOT A DX9 GAME, FOR GODS SAKE...... :flame:

FFS I wish people would get their info right before joining a debate.

Quotation from the Valve Discussion Thread:

Originally posted by FoxHunter
Gabe: We use DX9.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 05, 2003 4:58 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Half-Life2: OpenGL or Direct3D?

Hi Gabe (I hope I may call you so),

I just have a very simple question regarding Half-Life2:
Does the Source-engine use OpenGL or Direct3D for rendering?
I case of Direct3D: why did you switch from OpenGL (used in HL)?

thanks in advance and best regards

Wow... can I please have the 13 minutes of my life back that I wasted reading through this thread? I feel like I am back in first grade when we debated whether Super-man or Batman would win in a fight. Truth is, despite a few extra FPS depending on the game/application running, and a slight difference in image quality, the cards really aren't that different. Sure, they each have their own strengths and optimizations (which, btw, is NOT cheating... every part of the industry is FILLED with optimizations!) yet when it comes down to it, both cards will run this game (and every other application) blazingly fast and look extremely good.

So simma dahn now... can't we all just get along?

P.S. In case there was any confusion, Super-man is clearly at an advantage soley based on his ability to fly. [Feel free to insert parallel comparison to NVIDIA-ATI here] ;-)

I don't know, he did give Batman those kryptonite bullets. In a pinch, Batman just has to shoot him a few times. "Faster than a speeding bullet" only applies when the gun isn't to the back of your head before being fired.

The guy who played super man in the movie's fell off his horse and is paralyzed so im going with batman.

erm.... how can Valve have coded for DX9 instructions.... on an engine that has been in development for 5 years.... sure .... an instruction set thats been out to the industry for just a few months. What they mean is that it will need DX9 to run, but you won't see any special features exclusive to DX9 or most likely DX8 :p

There are features exclusive to DX9. Just check out August's edition of Maximum PC.

DX6/7 was probably the best when they started to develop the game 5 years ago, you think they took what was there at the time and made HL2 what it is today? Of course not, they take what's there and as what's there increases with power and performance they increase what they've made to the same standard. They've been working alongside Microsoft I believe to develop the engine as far as it will go. And as far as it can go at the moment is DX9.

Dude, if you have a DX8 card, you will only seee DX8 features. If you have a DX9 card, the engine will detect it and use DX9 features.

If you dont believe us, then you are effin retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back