ATi Vouchers

el Chi

Reaction score
I'm gonna get a Radeon soon and I just wanted to know about the bundled HL2 vouchers: Do they entitle you to a proper, full, boxed version or is there some sort of catch like it's the Steam-only version or what? How does it work, exactly?

I think you get to dl it over steam for free...

No I think you take it into the store and they give you a box version. After all how would any online system recieve the voucher?

You get a cd key on the back of the box Shuzer said...

Well, colour me confused.
Another quick question - is there a massive difference in performance between the 9800 Pro and the 9800XT?

el Chi said:
Well, colour me confused.
Another quick question - is there a massive difference in performance between the 9800 Pro and the 9800XT?

Only 128mb. :)

Yeah voucher has a cd-key hidden like a scratch card. You can also send it away to receive a copy of the game as well.
Personally I got the voucher with my 9800XT but I needed a new card as my old card was bonked. I'm still going to buy the special boxed version of the game though and keep the voucher.

from what I hear they differ by like 1-5 fps so no there isn't really any difference.

I was reading it and it said allow 12-16 weeks(or some insane number) for shipping, referring to HL2. So...just pre-order the game and buy it at best buy and when your voucher HL2 comes grab the best buy receipt and return the un opened voucher game.

Foxtrot said:
I was reading it and it said allow 12-16 weeks(or some insane number) for shipping, referring to HL2. So...just pre-order the game and buy it at best buy and when your voucher HL2 comes grab the best buy receipt and return the un opened voucher game.

Or give it to meh! :afro:

Overclock the pro, I have a pro and it's a gem, it overclocks higher than the xt!

I think the vouchers are buggy i bought a 9600 XT but when i go to fill in the form for HL2 CD at www.ati.com/online/hl2 its says my cd key is invaild like how can that be, if i dont get it working then what a crank of shit this is.

The Mullinator said:
None of the vouchers CD-keys will probably work until HL2 has gone gold.

eah but other people have sent in there forms for the CD. And you cant print the form if u have an invaild key even though you have the real thing

As far as I know ATI has discontinued the voucher program. You'll need to find old boxes if you want a HL2 coupon...

No they haven't, iirc only the XT boxes have the vouchers these days, since I got one when a relative bought a 9600xt.

What I'm dying to know is what kind of crap is going to come with the download? There has to be something extra cool for the people willing to put up with steam long enough to download that many gigs. Extra levels, printable box art, something. Because you know the discount for people buying it from steam is only going to be $5-10. That's hardly worth forsaking a paper manual and discs for. Also, does anyone know if the download will be burnable, an iso or something? Valve needs to get this info out so people can start making plans.

MaxiKana said:
No they haven't, iirc only the XT boxes have the vouchers these days, since I got one when a relative bought a 9600xt.

from HardOCP:

ATI Pulls HL2 Coupons:
Jason Hayes emailed us with information that ATI boxed video cards are showing up with no Half Life 2 coupons any more. We have confirmed with ATI that the 9600 series cards will no longer carry the "freebie." The game will be now be limited to the 9800XT. The boxes are clearly marked as to which cards have them and which cards do not.
So I guess it is only 9800XT cards now, I stand corrected!!!

Gossoon said:
Also, does anyone know if the download will be burnable, an iso or something? Valve needs to get this info out so people can start making plans.

They don't plan anything special there, you can simply burn the Steam Cache Files (*.gcf) onto a disc. I guess the problem will be that there's only one huge cache file, so that you would have to burn it onto a DVD :|

Gossoon said:
What I'm dying to know is what kind of crap is going to come with the download? There has to be something extra cool for the people willing to put up with steam long enough to download that many gigs. Extra levels, printable box art, something. Because you know the discount for people buying it from steam is only going to be $5-10. That's hardly worth forsaking a paper manual and discs for. Also, does anyone know if the download will be burnable, an iso or something? Valve needs to get this info out so people can start making plans.
its the same as all the other games...burn the gcf..

For those of you that are buying new vidcards, wait until may. By then ATI will have released the x800 which will then bring the price down of the 9800 pro and xt. Or you could just get the x800 or Nvidia 6800.

I have a voucher but I only have a 56k line in my house. I was planning on dowloading it at my gf's place and then burning it onto CD's. I could always rar or zip the file into pieces of the right size, but its a pain in the ass to move all the files off of the cd's onto my computer and then unzip/rar them. my CD drive only reads @ 24X so it would take forever :(

I bought the ATI 9600 Pro AiW in December, and its came with the cd key in "scratch-card" form. The CD key entitles you to HL2 the second its released (via Steam pre-dl) the same way as CZ was done. The CD key also entitles you (me) to the Valve Premier Pack (CS, DoD, BS, HL etc). I'm still going to buy the game though :)

What I'm dying to know is what kind of crap is going to come with the download? There has to be something extra cool for the people willing to put up with steam long enough to download that many gigs. Extra levels, printable box art, something. Because you know the discount for people buying it from steam is only going to be $5-10. That's hardly worth forsaking a paper manual and discs for.

Even if the Steam version of Half Life 2 doesn't come with extra stuff (or even a discount), I'd still choose to buy my game over Steam :). It's faster (the download will be done within a maximum of a few hours of it's release time), it's easier (no need to go to the store, wait in lines, deal with possible delayed shipments/out of stock issues), and, no CD's to deal with! It runs right off one's hard drive.

It's the simplest and quickest option :D.

Mine worked and i got it off ebay, when i registered it it said something about a ATI bundle and that some of the games cannot be downloaded because they are not out.

Risiko said:
Even if the Steam version of Half Life 2 doesn't come with extra stuff (or even a discount), I'd still choose to buy my game over Steam :). It's faster (the download will be done within a maximum of a few hours of it's release time), it's easier (no need to go to the store, wait in lines, deal with possible delayed shipments/out of stock issues), and, no CD's to deal with! It runs right off one's hard drive.

It's the simplest and quickest option :D.

What if your hard drive crashes or something? I dunno.

vegeta897 said:

Still on your Steam account. You can download it once you get back up and running, purchasing it over Steam will permanently add your account into the DB with access to the said game

vegeta897 said:

As Shuz said, its in the Steam DB. I've fragged my drives 3 times since I registed with steam, and It always works. Its like Hotmail.

Risiko said:
faster (the download will be done within a maximum of a few hours of it's release time),

Actualy you'll be able to play the second its officialy released, It pre-downloads like Condition Zero did.

Tork said:
Mine worked and i got it off ebay, when i registered it it said something about a ATI bundle and that some of the games cannot be downloaded because they are not out.

But did it let you print out the form when you clicked sumbit and was it the CD?

Agent said:
But did it let you print out the form when you clicked sumbit and was it the CD?

No but it did come with the upc box and reciept, i was supposed to mail that i think but I decided to get the download version instead. Also i Just tried using the key on another account i just made and i cant use it, it says its being used by my other account. If anyone needs a reciept and upc box from a 9800 XT so they can get the retail msg me, i dont need it since i got the download version.

Tork said:
No but it did come with the upc box and reciept, i was supposed to mail that i think but I decided to get the download version instead. Also i Just tried using the key on another account i just made and i cant use it, it says its being used by my other account. If anyone needs a reciept and upc box from a 9800 XT so they can get the retail msg me, i dont need it since i got the download version.
Are you saying you're giving hl2 to someone? :eek:

vegeta897 said:
Are you saying you're giving hl2 to someone? :eek:

no, this is just for those who have the voucher but without a reciept or upc code, with the upc and reciept he can get the cd version.

Tork said:
no, this is just for those who have the voucher but without a reciept or upc code, with the upc and reciept he can get the cd version.
Ohhh, I was kinda suprized for a second there. :x

Here's a question, although I doubt anyone here can answer it (hope so). I plan on buying HL2 even though I have the voucher (dont want to download through Steam, and dont want to pay shipping to NZ). When I buy the game, can I use the CD Key that comes with it on my computer, then install the game onto my brothers computer and use the number from the ATI voucher for his CD Key so we can both play?

Or at least just get Valve to email me a CD Key through the voucher instead of making me download the whole game?

iamaelephant, the answer is yes. Both the retail box and the key that came with your card represent two entirely different "accounts" that give you the right to play HL2.

Whether you download the game content or get it off a cd is completely irrelevant. You can download the game content as many times as you want, install the game on a computer as many times as you want. But without the key to play the game, that content is useless.

If you and your brother want to play each other over the internet, then you will need two cd keys. Everything else is irrelevant. (i.e., you can use the cd to install the game on both computers, and then a unique key to activate the game on each computer.)

hehe, i got the Voucher but i had already pre-order'd becouse i didnt want to wait 7 weeks for the disk to come in.. (manual and cd :) ) so i just gave the voucher away :p

Is this true that the vouchers are only coming with XT cards? Because the card I had my eye on (9800 Pro 256Mb) apparently - according to overclockers.co.uk - does.

i got a voucher!

and it give me a web site to go to then to fill in the Key number i have in the bk of the voucher.

then it also reads that the game will be delivered 2-3weeks AFTER release!! LOL

with this voucher i can Order the game Or get it via steam.

What i am gonna do is order it... (because i want to use the voucher) and also buy it so i have 2 copies! One will be used for Back Up safety Plus i have 3 computers in my house so it can be used on one of them so i can play my Bros online hehe.

Back