ATTENTION: Read this before posting upgrade questions/'Will my PC run HL2?' questions

IntimidatingAnt said:
Anyways, blahblahblah, thank you for your three options. I would never do number 3, as I HATE Celerons. I'm also not sure I would be happy with a P3 1.1 Ghz processor. Now for the AMD. I'm not very familiar with AMD processors, so I don't know what's good and what isn't. Could someone give me comparisons relative to pentium processors?
Also, being that I live on Canada, I can't purcahse stuff from newegg. However, I have a hookup to a place up here where I can get cheap hardware.

Another thing: How can I reuse my PC133 SDRAM with a higher up motherboard. I thought for the nextgen motherboards you have to have DDR Ram.

To get to the meat of my problem, to be ready fo HL2, I'll need a new video card too no matter what (if I want anything but the low settings). I think I'm going to wait until the game comes out, see how it runs, then seeing that it runs crappy, spend a whole bunch of money on my computer instead of saving fo school. Thanks again for all your help.

Generally, AMD equals (if not exceeds) Intel P4 performance on most areas. The Athlon XP processors are a great buy when you consider the price of a corresponding Intel P4 processor. Here is a link here. THe article talks about the Barton core (which involves higher speed processors out of your price range), but if you go to the benchmarks, you can see how the entire spectrum of Athlon XP compares to various Pentium 4 processors. AMD processors are a great buy.

You can re-use your SDRAM if you do some searching for a motherboard that can take your SDRAM and Athlon XP processor. Finding a motherboard that takes SDRAM will be a slight challenge, but they do exist. Like you might guess, your performance will be reduced, but it will save you money untill you want to upgrade to DDR Ram. You will want to make sure the motherboard has slots for DDR Ram and has slots for SDRAM since they have different number of pins. I also found that ASRock ASR K7VT2 also takes Athlon XP processors and SDRAM. If I were you, I would ask a local computer store if the XP processors and SDRAM are completely compatible just to make sure you wouldn't be wasting your money.

As for HL2, I know Valve is aware of the numerous mainstream consumers who will probably play HL2. That is why they are making the game compatible all the way back to TNT 2 cards. So if you upgrade your computer, it may not display HL2 at its highest settings, but I am willing to bet that it will do an okay job with your current graphics card.

My specs

Dell Dimension 2350
[email protected]
256MB RAM (might by 512 but graphics card first)
Nvidia Geforce FX 5200 (getting 9600xt or 9800pro if prices drop)
30 GB HDD

I've got 10GB left on the HDD but I'm gonna get rid of some old stuff. I'm not getting the RAM anytime soon because I'm saving up all summer for the gfx card as it is.

Hey, they've just announced the x600 and x300.

"The high-end X800 graphics chip will sell to the sub-$500 market, the mainstream X600 in the sub-$200 market and the X300 in the sub-$100 market."

x300 sub-$100?! And Ati says it will come in 64-bit and 128-bit versions... ok don't buy these.

bosox188 said:
x300 sub-$100?! And Ati says it will come in 64-bit and 128-bit versions... ok don't buy these.
Hehe, yeah.
Should never buy a card that has just been released for 100$. Most likely it is crappy.
GF4 MX...9200SE...FX5200.

Even the X600 is going to be disappointing in my opinion. Why? The x600 is only going to have 4 pixel pipelines. Looks like 9600 redux.

blahblahblah said:
Even the X600 is going to be disappointing in my opinion. Why? The x600 is only going to have 4 pixel pipelines. Looks like 9600 redux.

It won't even support smartshader 2.1, a 9800 pro is better. I wouldn't touch the x300, I've had enough problems after I wasted $130 on a geforce fx 5200 pci at bestbuy. (Why, why?)

I know my system that I just ordered not too long ago can play Half-Life 2, but will I be able to run it with the highest settings on with out any problems?

Specs Specs Specs...

Power Supply ( 500 Watt Power Supply )
Processor ( AMD® Athlon-64 2800+ CPU w/ Hyper Transport Technology )
Memory ( 512MB DDR-400 PC3200 Memory Module Major Brand )
Video Card ( Nvidia GeForce 6800-Ultra 256MB w/DVI + TV Out (Require Min. 480W System Power Supply) )

I mean I better be able to beause I just put down almost 2 grand on that beast..I'd be ****ing pissed if it didn't.

Yeah it'll probably run with everything maxed out. But ATi cards work better than Nvidia in Half Life 2, but I think a 6800 is more than enough, the real problem was the FX series I think.

I'm looking to build a new computer. Here's what I'm looking at:

Motherboard

ASUS "SK8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard - RETAIL ($182)

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, 940-pins, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail ($811)

RAM

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200LL - Retail ($345)

Hard Drive

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only ($75)

CD/DVD

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, Model SOHD-167T Black, RETAIL ($30)
Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM ($30)

Graphics Card

I'm having a problem deciding here. I can get these:

ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card 256MB ($399)
or
ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card 256MB ($499)

Is the performance of the XT worth the extra $100 I'll be forking out?

Case

I don't know any good cases. Suggestions anyone?

OS

Windows XP Home Edition ($90)

I also want to know if any of these parts are no good or if I'm going to be paying to much for a certain thing. If I am paying to much can you show me where I can get it for cheaper? I also need suggestions on a good case for this. For cooling should I get some extra case fans? Please take note and tell me if I need to change anything because that would help me a lot. Thanks!

I've changed the processor to the AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail ($821). This changes the socket from 940 to 939. I'm also going to change the mobo to either the ABIT "AV8" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL ($145) or the ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL($171). I'm leaning towards the ABIT mobo because it's cheaper and I've had a good experience with my other ABIT mobo(IC7-G). I feel these changes are for the better.

Edit: Since I'm on socket-939 now can I used unregistered RAM since it's cheaper?

Edit: If I can I'll be able to get the Corsair Value Select (Dual Pack) 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - OEM ($189)

Stats:

Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

I currently have a 9800 Pro, but my CPU is a Athlon XP 1700+... I want to get a new CPU, but not the big expensive ones, can you suggest me a good CPU and a Mobo that goes with, so I can take whole advantage of my 9800, without paying too much? Thanks in advance...

go for the amd xp3200

a good processor that gives good performance and is relatively cheap.
it will last you a good while. well worth it

Pressure said:
I'm looking to build a new computer. Here's what I'm looking at:

Motherboard

ASUS "SK8V" K8T800 Chipset Motherboard - RETAIL ($182)

Processor

AMD Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache, 940-pins, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor - Retail ($811)

RAM

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) ECC Registered DDR PC-3200LL - Retail ($345)

Hard Drive

Western Digital 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD800JD, OEM Drive Only ($75)

CD/DVD

Lite-On 16X DVD-ROM, Model SOHD-167T Black, RETAIL ($30)
Lite-On Black 52X32X52 CD-RW Drive, Model LTR-52327S, OEM ($30)

Graphics Card

I'm having a problem deciding here. I can get these:

ATI RADEON X800 PRO Video Card 256MB ($399)
or
ATI RADEON X800 XT Video Card 256MB ($499)

Is the performance of the XT worth the extra $100 I'll be forking out?

Case

I don't know any good cases. Suggestions anyone?

OS

I also want to know if any of these parts are no good or if I'm going to be paying to much for a certain thing. If I am paying to much can you show me where I can get it for cheaper? I also need suggestions on a good case for this. For cooling should I get some extra case fans? Please take note and tell me if I need to change anything because that would help me a lot. Thanks!

yes the performance of the xt makes it worthwhile, it should be cheaper no with new ati card out. try dabs and ebuyer for a case , read reviews of people that have bought cases. try and go for a case that is quiet that is roomy allowing for cooling and expansion and you wont go wrong. go for a nice looking case that will look good in your room

neil7 said:
go for the amd xp3200

a good processor that gives good performance and is relatively cheap.
it will last you a good while. well worth it

ok, but I need a new mobo... any suggestions? (I just need something that can fully advantage my 9800 Pro AIW, like I said.)

I dont know if this has already been posted, but I really dont want to read all of the posts.

I read somewhere in an interview with some valve employee that the minimum will be closer to 1GHz, and you will start to see differences at 1.2GHz. (From 1Ghz)

if i can run AmericasArmy at full settings, will i be able to run Hl2, with all the bells and whistles. how bout D3

specs:(yes i know it sounds liek im bragging...)

p4 3ghz
ram 512
9800pro

Will HL2 playable at full DX8.0 setting on: Athlon XP 2000+, 128Mb-RAM DDR333Mhz (oops I haven't money for more...), GeForce3ti200, on motherboard with KT400 chipset ???

Has the minimum specs been updated? I mean i've been to some places and it said you'll need a 1.2 GHz CPU, DX6 gfx and 256MB RAM.

Pressure said:

From what i've heard, the Home Edition is more for work use, Professional is good for both gaming and work use.

Fordon Greeman said:
Will HL2 playable at full DX8.0 setting on: Athlon XP 2000+, 128Mb-RAM DDR333Mhz (oops I haven't money for more...), GeForce3ti200, on motherboard with KT400 chipset ???

I think you can run on a mixture of DX 7 and DX 8 effects. You will notice a big difference if you are able to increase your RAM to 512 MB. And if you have the money, buy a new graphics card.

Fordon Greeman said:

On this site: http://www.steampowered.com/?area=css_b1
valve is announcing about beta 1 of cs:s and they've posted system specs.
"
Min:
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard

Preferred:
2.4 GHz ProcessorB 512MB RAM
DirectX 9 graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard
"

Use that.

Do you think that GeForce FX5200 or Radeon 9200 can be enough for run the game in full DX8 setting??

Ps:
(I invested more money to that computer so now I have Athlon 2500+ and 256Mb-ram...)

hi. P4 2.4400fsb with geforce 6 ultra and 512 mb ram ddr 266 mhz...wil hl2 play if full setings at 1024x768...aax4 and 8xaf?

Hey people, is it possible to have 2gig of mb ram? Doesnt have mobo's only 2 memory slots? Isnt the max 512 mb ram? So max is 1024 mb ram? Or are there mobo's with more slots?

And whats the difference between Asus radeon cards and VGA cards? Something to do with the company who publish the cards? Or basicly all the same? :|

I have a Nvidia GeForce4 MX420?

Considering the imminent release of Doom 3, and HL2 not long after that, what video card should I upgrade to?

I have a 1.7GHz AMD Athlon (it should be 1.8 but it won't run at that speed for some reason), Asus A7N8X deluxe MB, 512 dual channel RAM, and onboard sound.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but any recommendations are welcome

Thanks

if you're on a budget get the sapphire 9600xt. If you have a bit more to spend get the 9800 pro ...2 best choices for the price range

Ok, what kind of perfomance do you reckon i'll get with this:

AMD 1900xp (1.6ghz)
512MB RAM
GF4ti4600

I guess I should be able to handle Medium settings maybe? Maybe a little lower?

Also, how hard is it to replace a motherboard for a faster one? I've only ever replaced RAM and a graphics card.

Fordon Greeman said:

128 mb ram is below the minimum requirements. Get more ram and a 9600 pro. You will do great. :)

And for me..

AMD 2500+ at 1.83ghz
512 mb pc-2700
Geforce 2 mx (Doubt it will work, I am going to get a 9800 pro later)

StardogChampion said:
Ok, what kind of perfomance do you reckon i'll get with this:

AMD 1900xp (1.6ghz)
512MB RAM
GF4ti4600

I guess I should be able to handle Medium settings maybe? Maybe a little lower?

Also, how hard is it to replace a motherboard for a faster one? I've only ever replaced RAM and a graphics card.

Gabe stated himself that the level designers had to work with an AMD 2.0ghz Duron with a gf4 ti 4600 so im guessing you should be fine if level designers got it to work

specs

computer specs
2.6 ghz processor
512 mb sdRAM
geforce 4 mx 440 graphics card

u think its my computer good enough?

Ekinflog said:
computer specs
2.6 ghz processor
512 mb sdRAM
geforce 4 mx 440 graphics card

u think its my computer good enough?

First question is how important are graphics to you? If they are important to you, you probably need to upgrade. However, your computer meets (and exceeds) the minimum requirements for playing HL2 (and even Doom 3).

If you want to upgrade, and you have an AGP slot, I would recommend the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro which is around $220 at newegg.com. This graphics card should be able to last you for a long while.

If you want to upgrade, and you only have a PCI slot, it is debatable if you should upgrade. The only realistic upgrade would be to a Geforce FX 5200 PCI card. However, this card will only be a small improvement over the Geforce 4 MX 440. Not to mention the PCI version of the FX 5200 is around $80, I don't think it is worth the cost in your case.

-TaNaKa- said:
Hey people, is it possible to have 2gig of mb ram? Doesnt have mobo's only 2 memory slots? Isnt the max 512 mb ram? So max is 1024 mb ram? Or are there mobo's with more slots?

And whats the difference between Asus radeon cards and VGA cards? Something to do with the company who publish the cards? Or basicly all the same? :|

Yes, it is possible to have 2 gig of ram. You can actually have up to 4 gig of ram if you have a mobo w/ 4 slots and you buy 1 gig sticks of ram. 513mb sticks are faster though. Most mobos have between 2-4 slots, though I think I saw a 6 slot one out there somewhere. However 4 gigs would be a bit waste until a few years when things start getting REALLy advanced. Also I think certain processors can only handle a certain amount of memory.

Unless you want performance like this, then 1GB is great.
If you really want more banks of memory then you would want to invest into a system that uses Registered/ECC memory like an Opteron system. ;)

Now, I know I'll run the game at playable framerates at medium, but could I max out and still get a decent performance?

System:
Amd Barton 2800XP (2ghz)
Radeon 9700pro
2x512mb DDR 333mhz

ive got..

256meg sapphire 9600XT
2400+ amd cpu
768 meg ram

im pretty sure my system will run hl2 well, but how well is well?

ideally id like it to run at 1280x1024---> at this res im not bothered much about AA or AF...

but would anyone know what kinda resolution/settings my system will be able to take?

this is my video card

S3 graphics pro savage

sistem memory 256 mb

video memory 32 mb

directx 9

in my opinion is enough o HL2 cuz the minimun are a video card compatible whit directx 6

and the RAM is 224 mb

1.8 gightz
648 ram
fx 5200

will i be able to run the game on 800x600 medium?

Back