ATTENTION: Read this before posting upgrade questions/'Will my PC run HL2?' questions

ok, well i can run those games fine so far, but i would like to upgrade once i need to. Any certain processor i should look into getting? I really want to stick with AMD Athlon XP, i was thinking of upgrading to atleast 3ghz. Im also upgrading to a gig of decent ram sometime. maybe ill do both at the same time :p

I'm saving for one of those new Athlon 64 bit CPUs (obviously with a matching motherboard) because I think that's where the future is for hardware.

how will halflife 2 or doom 3 play on my computer? it is a athlon 2400 (2ghz), 512 MB Ram, geforce 3 ti200 64MB. I dont care if i play these games on the lowest graphic level, as long as I can play them and it doesnt jerk and slow down all over the place.

I'm thinking about changing from an Intel too an AMD mobo. Do I have to change my computer casing (I don't know if thats the proper name, I mean the box all the hardware is in :p), or do all mobo's fit in any ATX casing?

All ATX mobos are compatible with all ATX cases(99.9% of the time). They can becalled cases or towers btw.

I thought so but my tower is called Codegen Long 300W P3/P4 Middle. I'm worried about the P3/P4.

Sorry I make another post under my last one, but I could not edit the previous one as the 15 minutes for editing have passed.

Another question coming up :)

My specs:

Intel D845PESV mobo
Celeron 1.8Ghz
256 DDR RAM (333mhz downgraded to 266 cause of the processor)
GeForce4MX440

My options:

1) Processor/mobo upgrade
a) leave the mobo and buy a Pentium 2.8Ghz
b) buy a GA-7VT600-RZ Via KT600 + LAN Socket A mobo + an AMD Athlon 3000 XP+ Barton OEM (the price would be only a bit higher than the price of a Pentium 2.8Ghz)

2) Graphic card upgrade
to a HIS RADEON 9600XT TURBO 256 DVI/TV BOX (my mobo has an 4xAGP slot but someone wrote its no big difference)

3) RAM upgrade
add 512MB

What should I do first? I could afford only one of these upgrades (well if I bought RAM it would leave me some money) and I would like to be able to play HL2 and CS:Source at 800x600 and medium details. I know I posted a similar post a while ago but now I give some more concrete options.

If I were you I would upgrade the RAM first, then the video card, then the CPU. Out of your CPU options, I would go for the Pentium 2.8.

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/ax800xt/overview.htm#

I know this is a very good card and all but, everybody is saying its got to be a 256 bit, so i was checking the info on this site and found something where it stands 128 bit.
im not so good at this so could somebody please tell me how many bit that card is?

My computer specifications are:

Processor : Pentium 4 with HT- 2.8 Ghz
Ram :1024MB PC3200
Graphic Card: nVIDIA GForce 6800 128 MB

Will I be able to run Half Life 2 at a high resolution?? Thanks...

Bio said:
http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/ax800xt/overview.htm#

I know this is a very good card and all but, everybody is saying its got to be a 256 bit, so i was checking the info on this site and found something where it stands 128 bit.
im not so good at this so could somebody please tell me how many bit that card is?
The 128bit refers to one of it's Pixel Floating Point Colour Format, not it's memory, which will be 256bit

:)

I just recently bought a computer, and I was wondering if I would be able to run HL2 on best graphics available on a comfortable frame rate

The specs are as listed:
3.6 ghz P4 with HT
1024 GB RAM
ATI X800 Pro

Those are the basic specs. If im missing anything crucial that is needed to determine the answer, let me know... I'm kinda new to this pc hardware thing.

Ofcourse, you can drive it on full, what the hells is it with you guys. you got a monster pc. Jesus Crist... :)

3.0 ghz P4
4gb of Corsair memory
Ati Radeon X800 XT PE

How do think HL2 would run.........

LOOKING said:
3.0 ghz P4
4gb of Corsair memory
Ati Radeon X800 XT PE

4gb?!?!!?! what are you? a ****ing loon?! i bet that was a pretty penny. A pretty shiney penny, v.special that you're NEVER GONNA GET BACK AGAIN BECAUSE YOU WASTED IT ON QUADRULING THE AMOUNT OF RAM YOU ACTUALLY NEEEEEDDD!!!!!

LOOKING said:
3.0 ghz P4
4gb of Corsair memory
Ati Radeon X800 XT PE

Not as good as if that machine only had 2x512MB sticks. Link

Can somebody please tell me what level of gxf i can expect lowest, medium or high (i wish)
I have;

2GHz
512mb DDR-SDRAM
80GB (7200 rpm)
Nvidia GeForce MX-440

(I know slim to none about pc and hardware)

I got Doom3 to work on the lowest settings (800x640 or something)

Thanks for all help

You should be able to max out detail settings (for DX7 hardware) and run it at 1024x768 pretty well. My friend has a MX440 and is upgrading to a 9600Pro. He gets 60FPS in CSS right now on his A64 2800+ rig.

The thing is it's running DX7 effects so there is little stress on the card. If you want the effects you will have to put some money into a DX9 card but you should run the game good.

Computer jesus...

LOOKING said:
3.0 ghz P4
4gb of Corsair memory
Ati Radeon X800 XT PE

Athlon 3800+ 64bit @ 4500+
4Gb-RAM DDRII@566Mhz
Ati X800XT-Platinium Edition (overlocked->1000Mhz-core/1500Mhz-Memory)
...ok ok I'm just kidding...

Fordon Greeman said:
Athlon 3800+ 64bit @ 4500+
4Gb-RAM DDRII@566Mhz
Ati X800XT-Platinium Edition (overlocked->1000Mhz-core/1500Mhz-Memory)
...ok ok I'm just kidding...
I'm sorry but that just wouldn't be playable since it would crash the game with it's pure speed.

P4 2.8 Gightz
256mb DDR RAM (hopefully getting another 512mb stick soon)
MSI Starforce GeForce Ti 4200 128mb

I just want to know what setting I will be able to go on.

Probably medium on that machine, might need to turn off some effects for medium detail. The extra RAM will be very useful.

hmm, how about:

2.8 HT (p4)
768 mb 350mhz ram
9600 pro (128 mb)

Which card would you reccommend for HL2, bearing in mind if it's cheap I can get another stick of 256 ram, as i only have 256 at the moment

what would you think would be the minimum hardware specifications to run HL2 in maximum?
is a 1.6 ghz processor too slow to run it even moderately high?
or a 64mb GF4 acceptabe?
i suppose 512mb ram is enough? if i added more would it make much difference to performance? or would that require a faster processor!
help me, i am very unknowing when it comes to hardware!! :(

UrbanLeonard said:
Which card would you reccommend for HL2, bearing in mind if it's cheap I can get another stick of 256 ram, as i only have 256 at the moment

Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro is what you'll "need" to play HL2. You could go for a 9600 XT of course but the 9800 Pro kicks it's ass pretty good. That Ram-stick would be a good buy anyway.

Hi, this is my first post here although i've been around for quite a while.

I was wondering, I have a Pentium 4 2.4 HT, 4x256 400mhz DDR Ram and a Gigabyte X800 XT. I was wondering if the CPU would act as a bottleneck towards my graphics card. Thanks for you're help guys :)

bmw.williamsf1 said:
Hi, this is my first post here although i've been around for quite a while.

I was wondering, I have a Pentium 4 2.4 HT, 4x256 400mhz DDR Ram and a Gigabyte X800 XT. I was wondering if the CPU would act as a bottleneck towards my graphics card. Thanks for you're help guys :)
I'd say you're just about on the boundary. It'll maybe cost you a few frames, but it's nothing to worry about at all.

Thats good :) I only plan on running at 1024 with full aa and af instead of some extravagant tiny resoloution :)

Thanks very much for your help and your speedy reply! You are fantastic :) Cheers.

Just letting you know ahead of time, you might have to lower your AA settings slightly. AA kills framerates, but with your set up you shan't have a big problem.

Hey Im wondering if i can run Hl2 at max settings on 1024x768 with no aa and 2x af.

Intel Pentium 4 2.4c HT
Asus P4P800
768 MB PC 3200
Ati Radeon 9800 Pro

Thanx in advance.

:cheers:

Back