Audio Problems with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey dudes! Got the poroblem here too.
Tried all the suggested fixes, and while some help a little, the problem persists!
I don't think it is a sound problem its just thats the most noticable side effect. Simply pre-caching problem I assume, (hope?).

Valve, what's the beef?

Got college work to get out of the way I supose :)

AMD 2400+
768 ram
ATI 9700 Pro
WinXP Proff SP2
Audigy
120 gig hdd

All on latest drivers as of yesterday.

hi folks,

just registered because of the same problem, but I was monitoring this thread since the beginning.

sys:
xp 2400+
512mb
radeon 9800 pro
win xp (sp1)
audigy 2

here is a little text what my console says to me when I load a level:

Game started
CGameServer::BroadcastSound: Recipient Filter for sound (reliable: no, init: no) with bogus client index (1) in list of 1 clients
CGameServer::BroadcastSound: Recipient Filter for sound (reliable: no, init: no) with bogus client index (1) in list of 1 clients
Initializing renderer...

hope this helps....

greets from Austria (Europe)
cheers

Just for giggles, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Didn't work.

over 51,000 people have looked at this thread, probably most of them with the problem.

Now I ask you Valve, with this many people obviously experiancing this problem, why aren't you commenting on it?

Dont just read over this post valve

Please, just spend a few minutes telling us whats going, at a minimum just tell us you're aware of the problem! You've all made a great game and we're aware of that, we'd just appriciate you guys keeping us at least a tiny bit updated!

I know we've come to expect you to instantly reply to us, and I'm not asking this of you, however it has been a few days now since this problem was brought to our, and your attention, so could you just give me / us a little update - thanks :)

Ten Ton Hammer said:
Has anyone tried reinstalling the game? I havent heard anyone on these or steam forums try it... and I'm leaning more and more to the "Activation & Unlocking" thing maybe causing the problem. Only reason why I havent tried uninstallling is because the game takes 2 freaking hours to just install the damn thing.

Anyways... might be something else to try. *sigh* where are you guys Valve?

To quote myself, has anyone else tried reinstalling? What that one guy said (forgot name, not going to look) he had same hardware configs, just the game was installed at different times. With the wide range of hardware configs that are experiencing this problem, i'm sure its not a hardware problem. Also the chance of valve missing a bug like this in their game is slim... but do you think they tested the steam decryption software? That seems like the most reasonable source of this HUGE problem.

I doubt it would be the encryption software - people HAVE resintalled both by downloading it all on steam, and installing the dvd copy (like me).

Its not that, but i think valve may comment some time soon!

Catphish said:
Just for giggles, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. Didn't work.

reinstalling = no guaranteed success

Pippinator said:
over 51,000 people have looked at this thread, probably most of them with the problem.

Over 76,000 views on the Steam forum thread.

To address the reinstalling theory (I posted about this earlier but I will do so again for our new readers)

Well, I have two PCs with totally contrasting setups in them (not one piece of individual hardware is from the same company when the PCs are compared).

I installed HL2 on both setups and both stuttered.

Additionally, I redownloaded the game after completely deleting it and once again, the problem remained.

Cheers
Sie

Audio Skipping Fixed

I adjusted the mixahead value in the cfg file from .1 to .5 and the stuttering had completely stopped. Also made sure that my windows audio was set to 5.1 and my Auidgey2 had the CMSS turned off.

AMD 64 3200
512ram
6800GT
XPpro SP2

Unfortunately, that isn't a definitive fix and doesn't work for most people. It does appear to reduce the problem somewhat, but it doesn't go away altogether.

+r_fastzreject 1

can someone try this and see if it helps..I would but I'm at work right now.

Hi peeps, been reading this thread for 2 days, so thought it was about time i registered and put my 'i can't play hl2, please help me!' addition aswell.

WinXP SP2
512mb Ram
80Gb 7200 SATA
Athlon XP 2600+
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
DFI NF2 Infinity Mboard
nforce 2 chipset and audio (soundstorm)

For the record, my CS Source plays without a hitch, but HL2 stutters waaayyyyy too much for my liking. Strange isn't it!! :dozey:

TuSeiSkeefoso said:
+r_fastzreject 1

can someone try this and see if it helps..I would but I'm at work right now.

tried that in the launch option, made no difference.

Also tried single channel instead of dual channel memory, made no difference. What I find confusing is that if it's a problem with the software then surely everyone ought to be experiencing this. We seem to have covered every possible hardware options!!

I noticed after I installed HL2, steam then progressed to 'unlock game files' this took a long time too, maybe five minutes. Perhaps it was something to do with this unlocking process.
Bit of a farse really though, why did they make things so complicated with registering - simplicity is always most efficient!!!

Garindan said:
Hi peeps, been reading this thread for 2 days, so thought it was about time i registered and put my 'i can't play hl2, please help me!' addition aswell.

WinXP SP2
512mb Ram
80Gb 7200 SATA
Athlon XP 2600+
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb
DFI NF2 Infinity Mboard
nforce 2 chipset and audio (soundstorm)

For the record, my CS Source plays without a hitch, but HL2 stutters waaayyyyy too much for my liking. Strange isn't it!! :dozey:

CS is ok after a while but it still stutters far too often. It shouldn't stutter at all...

I was wondering I heard there are two different types of IDE cable 80 and 40!! I'm not sure which I have but if someone can confirm they have an 80 cable and it stutters that would remove that as an idea!!

I've just chimed in over at the penny-arcade HL2 tech thread, bringing this to the attention of Locash (A Valve employee). Hopefully, we may hear from him soon with regard to progress on this situation from Valve's perspective.

I took a look at the console and found the following when loading a level:

Begin loading faces (loads materials)
End loading faces (loads materials)
Initializing renderer...
Failed to load sound "ambient/fire/fire_small_loop1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository
Failed to load sound "ambient/fire/fire_med_loop1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository
Failed to load sound "ambient/fire/fire_med_loop1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

Perhaps this is a clue to the sound problem. hmmmmm I bought my game on CD's. Why is there stuff missing?

Sie said:
I've just chimed in over at the penny-arcade HL2 tech thread, bringing this to the attention of Locash (A Valve employee). Hopefully, we may hear from him soon with regard to progress on this situation from Valve's perspective.

Good job, but I bet Valve has already recieved thousands and thousands of emails about this problem.
So hopefully their total silence means they're working on it....

Indeed, I wouldn't like to be Gabe when he opens up his email inbox every morning.

Ok Guys... I came across This thread on the SOUND STUTTERING ISSUE:

FFDSHOW solution For Sturrening Sound: go to: "mistertones" post:

http://www.hlfallout.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19426&st=90

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm

"The audio stuttering problem seemed to be caused by a mp3 codec"
======================================================

Well as i do NOT have AudioProblems i cant say if it works..But it did help some guys on the FalloutForum.

Back to THE GAME :)

Specs:
Win XP pro UK . (Clean Slip-Streamed SP2)
P4 2.6ghz
MoBo Asus P4G8X Deluxe
1gb Dual 3200 ddr
G4 Ti4600 128mb (Forceware 6.6.8.1)
Onboard Sound AC´97 (manufactorDrivers)
Maxtor HD 120gb
DX9c
EZtrust Armor(Antivirus&firewall)Running.

Well Valve have to be very careful now, if they can't find a solution then they are not going to want to take reaspnsibility for it and so whatever they say officially might be held against them if legal action is taken against them.
So at the moment they are furiously trying to find a solution and at the same time crapping their pants at the prospect of their being no fix and also not being allowed to say anything!!

forkboy said:

Well as i do NOT have AudioProblems i cant say if it works..But it did help some guys on the FalloutForum.

Specs:
P4 2.6ghz
MoBo Asus P4G8X Deluxe
1gb Dual 3200 ddr
Maxtor HD 120gb
DX9c

Old news. Doesn't help.

forkboy said:

Specs:
P4 2.6ghz
MoBo Asus P4G8X Deluxe
1gb Dual 3200 ddr
Maxtor HD 120gb
DX9c

Dont work, been posted before but thanks anyway. i Feel a funny pic coming on, brb.

Man, this is complete bullshite! Within the last week I have bought two high profile games (Half-Life 2 and Halo 2) and both of them are having major issues. I have map loading errors with Halo 2 and sound stuttering problems with Half-Life 2. Both Microsoft and Valve are being complete asssholes concerning their respective issues and refuse to make any comments. I paid over $50 for each of these games and I'm beyond angry at how developers treat us consumers once they get our cash in hand. Valve and Microsoft can kiss my butt at this point.

And they wonder why people download pirated copies of games...

Avery said:
Well Valve have to be very careful now, if they can't find a solution then they are not going to want to take reaspnsibility for it and so whatever they say officially might be held against them if legal action is taken against them.

lol, what legal action? Way to make with the drama. :upstare:

It's not drama it's real!!

If they say nothing and therefore take no reaspnsibility then surely what they have done is illegal under some kind of consumer act law, i dunno. And i i dunno who would presecute them but someone with the power to do so would have an almost guranteed win!!

This is why they aren't saying anything because if they do then they admitt guilt and this may go against them if things get out of hand!!

Obvioulsy this is an extreme situation but a very real one and one that i'm sure they have considered and so have decided not to say a word for now..

You've never bothered to read an "End user license agreement" have you?

Official statements or silence, a company is always responsible for their product. Not communicating isn't a defence that works in a court.

But yes, that is taking this situation to an absolute extreme and isn't even logically viable. We are in the domain of software where things can be fixed and its a domian where consumer law if very different to buying a TV from a shop. Thats not to say they can deliver a defective product and get away with it but when that defective product can be remedied (and it will be), there is no case against Valve.

Its simply a situation where the game needs a patch. Valve are not legally obligated to make a statement when the game is working fine for others but thats not to say they don't give a shit which is how some people, due to their frustrations, are interpreting the situation.

I'm sure they are working on this. Lets just keep a clean head about it all and don;t let the red mist take over your thought processes.

dunno if it's been mentioned yet on this thread (and it's too long to trawl through!) but could it be a swap file issue?

My god people. Calm the **** down. Two ****ing days the game has been out!!!!!! Has Valva EVER, and I mean EVER, not fixed a problem with Half-Life? Hell I bought Half-Life 1 the first day it came out and the flippin' Multiplayer didn't work on a network. I called tech support and within the week they had a patch to fix it. Anyone remember that?

****ing A!!! Go home and cry to mama!!!!!

Squeetard is right. We just have to consider the problem for what it is: it isn't an international conspiracy, just a (serious) game bug and nothing more. Actually, my boss would kick my butt if didn't say a word to keep our customers quiet in such a situation and I personally think the community would appreciate a simple "The bug has been sorted out, we are working on a patch", but even then I'm sure some of us would keep on complaining.

Spent another couple hours trying stuff last night.

Hardware:

P4 2.26 Ghz
1024MB of 266Mhz DDR memory
GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (BFG 6800 GT OC) with latest forcewares.
SB Audigy 2

Symptoms:

Stuttering/Lockups/Looping sound/Bluescreens and reboots. MOST noticable at the teleporter sequence, first started to get bad running across the roofs. While it is stuttering/looping/locking up, as it begins to recover, entire portions of the game geometry will go missing, like for example the teleporter assembly vanishes, but the rest of the room remains.

Prior to install...
Scan for viruses and adware.

First day...

Install from DVD
Try to play, problems start happening...

-Updated Sound Card Drivers
-Lowered ALL in game options to low
-Adjusted Heap Size to 256MB then 512MB
-Tried running in DX7 mode
-Defragged
-snd_mixahead 1 (and .7)
-cl_forcepreload 1
-sv_forcepreload 1
-Tried running with -nosound 1, still locked up stuttered.
-Tried CS:Source, problem happens there as well
-Tried a diagnostic startup with msconfig, with only UPNP Service and DHCP Client service started (so I could get online and try to play)
Night ended with the monitor blanking out with no signal from the video card as I got into the Kanal area (right before taking the stationary MG)

Second Day
-cl_smooth 0 added to other cfg file settings.
**Monitor blanks out with No Signal from the video card in the kanal area.
-Downloaded the fddshow program tried to disable all audio codecs
-Rebooted and installed the 61.77 forcewares
-Set Vsync on in game options.
**I thought that the problem was fixed at this point, then the game started to stutter/lockup again then finally bluescreened. Video card is not getting much over 80 degrees, CPU around 60

Currently, I have the following settings...

-1280x960 all graphics settings on high (except for water I believe, all settings are the recommended ones by the game engine, except for Vsync, which is on), 4 speaker setup, music off.
-Heapsize is set to 512MB
-Forceware 61.77 drivers, all settings on default, except for brightness, which is at 1.13 (monitor is really dark)
-snd_mixahead .7
-cl_forcepreload 1
-sv_forcepreload 1
-cl_smooth 0 (in autoexec.cfg)

Next thing I'm going to try is lowering the performance options in my bios to safe from performance, and lower the AGP Aperture to 128MB from 256, see if that helps.

Sound/stutter problem here too.. and....

Just registered to add to the list of many....but also:

Is anyone else suffering from an incredibly long load time when you first start the game.... i get past the man with the nice eye piece.. then onto the blurred picture with the loading message on the bottom right, its at that moment where my comp takes FOREVER! My friend dosent have this problem or the sound problem wtf?! I'm not that clued up on what the comp should be doing while loading the game but i have the ram which has LED's on it showing activity.. when on the loading screen (usually the blurred river scene) there is very little activity coming from the LED's.. is this normal?

My spec:
athlon64 3500 Winchester (oc to 2.6 ghz)
1 gig dual channel Corsair DDR400
200gig sata 8mb HD
x800 pro
Asus A8V mobo with AC97 dogga sound
I have all the sound problems!

My friends spec:
Athlon 2200 (oc to much higher, dont know exactly how much)
1 gig crucial 2700
9800 pro
120 gig 8mb IDE HD
Asus a7n8x (non deluxe without soundstorm)
From what he tells me he has none of the sound or loading times problems

COME ON VALVE!!! we waited ages and now you give us this! ;(

i think it's now officially time to panic and just scream for help

WE WANT TEH PATCH!!!111ONE1!ELEVEN!!

ÜberJumper said:
Spent another couple hours trying stuff last night.

Hardware:

P4 2.26 Ghz
1024MB of 266Mhz DDR memory
GeForce 6800 GT 256MB (BFG 6800 GT OC) with latest forcewares.
SB Audigy 2

Symptoms:

Stuttering/Lockups/Looping sound/Bluescreens and reboots. MOST noticable at the teleporter sequence, first started to get bad running across the roofs. While it is stuttering/looping/locking up, as it begins to recover, entire portions of the game geometry will go missing, like for example the teleporter assembly vanishes, but the rest of the room remains.

Prior to install...
Scan for viruses and adware.

First day...

Install from DVD
Try to play, problems start happening...

-Updated Sound Card Drivers
-Lowered ALL in game options to low
-Adjusted Heap Size to 256MB then 512MB
-Tried running in DX7 mode
-Defragged
-snd_mixahead 1 (and .7)
-cl_forcepreload 1
-sv_forcepreload 1
-Tried running with -nosound 1, still locked up stuttered.
-Tried CS:Source, problem happens there as well
-Tried a diagnostic startup with msconfig, with only UPNP Service and DHCP Client service started (so I could get online and try to play)
Night ended with the monitor blanking out with no signal from the video card as I got into the Kanal area (right before taking the stationary MG)

Second Day
-cl_smooth 0 added to other cfg file settings.
**Monitor blanks out with No Signal from the video card in the kanal area.
-Downloaded the fddshow program tried to disable all audio codecs
-Rebooted and installed the 61.77 forcewares
-Set Vsync on in game options.
**I thought that the problem was fixed at this point, then the game started to stutter/lockup again then finally bluescreened. Video card is not getting much over 80 degrees, CPU around 60

Currently, I have the following settings...

-1280x960 all graphics settings on high (except for water I believe, all settings are the recommended ones by the game engine, except for Vsync, which is on), 4 speaker setup, music off.
-Heapsize is set to 512MB
-Forceware 61.77 drivers, all settings on default, except for brightness, which is at 1.13 (monitor is really dark)
-snd_mixahead .7
-cl_forcepreload 1
-sv_forcepreload 1
-cl_smooth 0 (in autoexec.cfg)

Next thing I'm going to try is lowering the performance options in my bios to safe from performance, and lower the AGP Aperture to 128MB from 256, see if that helps.

Funny i increased the aperture size to 256 ;)

I so want to play this game. Thank god I bought Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines to kill the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back