Bad(No) Tact

M

MjM

Only days ago, a news item in Europe informed us that British military commanders are shocked by American tactics during the occupation, and they have tried advising them, to no effect yet, on altering their ways.

Essentially, Americans sit in Kevlar armor with weapons of horrific fire power behind barriers and in no-go zones. They have absolutely no relationship with the people. They make no friends, only future enemies, as they shoot anyone - almost exclusively innocent civilians - who doesn't understand the rules. Once in a while, they launch a massive assault against a target assumed to be a center of armed opposition. Fallujah was one of these, and its utter ruin represents today almost the same kind of ferocious symbol that the Nazi-obliterated village of Lidice did for World War II.

Senior British commanders have condemned American military tactics in Iraq as heavy-handed and disproportionate.

One senior Army officer told The Telegraph that America's aggressive methods were causing friction among allied commanders and that there was a growing sense of "unease and frustration" among the British high command.

The officer, who agreed to the interview on the condition of anonymity, said that part of the problem was that American troops viewed Iraqis as untermenschen - the Nazi expression for "sub-humans".

Speaking from his base in southern Iraq, the officer said: "My view and the view of the British chain of command is that the Americans' use of violence is not proportionate and is over-responsive to the threat they are facing. They don't see the Iraqi people the way we see them. They view them as untermenschen. They are not concerned about the Iraqi loss of life in the way the British are. Their attitude towards the Iraqis is tragic, it's awful.

"The US troops view things in very simplistic terms. It seems hard for them to reconcile subtleties between who supports what and who doesn't in Iraq. It's easier for their soldiers to group all Iraqis as the bad guys. As far as they are concerned Iraq is bandit country and everybody is out to kill them."

The phrase untermenschen - literally "under-people" - was brought to prominence by Adolf Hitler in his book Mein Kampf, published in 1925. He used the term to describe those he regarded as racially inferior: Jews, Slaves and gipsies.

By contrast, the British military has a graduated response to a threat and its rules of engagement are based on the principle of minimum force. Troops also have to justify their actions in post-operation reports that are reviewed by the Royal Military Police, and any discrepancy can lead to charges including murder.

A British officer said that some of the tactics employed by American forces would not be approved by British commanders.

The officer said: "US troops have the attitude of shoot first and ask questions later. They simply won't take any risk.

"It has been explained to US commanders that we made mistakes in Northern Ireland, namely Bloody Sunday, and paid the price.

"I explained that their tactics were alienating the civil population and could lengthen the insurgency by a decade. Unfortunately, when we ex-plained our rules of engagement which are based around the principle of minimum force, the US troops just laughed."

Oh Geez

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/04/11/wtact11.xml
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...irq15.xml&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=33237
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00071.htm

Let them reap what they sew. Nothing we can do about it. I just don't want to hear those stupid cliches in the future next time America experiences some terrible attack "Why do they hate us?"

I hate when i see Bush preaching to other governments. Makes me sick.
I really do hope for a new world order. For starters. One without superpowers, corruption and hypocrisy would be nice.

I'm suprised i forgot lies.

Finally, I'm glad this came to light. If they're ignoring years more British experience is this field, then they suprised even me with their stupidity. British troops have been in Northern Ireland for years, having stones thrown at them, bases bombed and people attacked. Funnily enough, they've somehow managed to kill extremely few people.

Well if they don't learn from our past mistakes then I hope they learn when September 11 the sequel happens.

Sadly this over-simplistic mind is not only common in the military, but amongst the general populace. It arises from not being taught how to be analytical.

The explaination "they hate freedom" just doesn't quite cut it for me.
Maybe some do hate freedom, but that alone is not going to cause massive uprising. No, the problem stems from much deeper roots, it's not a totally irrational hatred like some people care to think.

The general dislike of American foreign policy across the world is magnified a thousand-fold in places like Iraq, and if this story is anything to go by, things can only get worse.

That's a mighty impressive coalition when you don't even listen to your greatest ally.

Sad part is it's not even revelatory. But in this war alone (urgh, talking as if they're episodic releases here) they've stamped around without translators, screaming at utterly terrified natives who often don't have the foggiest idea what's going on.

It's a general rule- the Brits are better peacekeepers, while the US military is best suited to going out and blowing the hell out of everything. Although that's not always the best course of action.

Sounds like bullshit to me, and goes against what I have heard before.

I don't think we can make judgements on just these words...

I've heard good and bad things about the Americans in Iraq (and the British for that matter..)
I can only assume conduct varies from place to place....

But It is without a doubt very concerning....

Lemonking said:
meh...kill Bush its all his fault people that still say Iraq has something to do 9.11 are stupid
Thank you lemon for that very thoughtful post.

People often draw parallels between reconstruction of Iraq, and that of Germany and Japan.

Some differences:
Germany and Japan were extremely advanced nations pre-war.
Germany and Japan were utterly defeated, and the people accepted occupation.

Very interesting. Here in the US we're always being told how much the Iraqis love us. I just watched a program this morning where Laura Bush was interviewed. She was talking about how much the Iraquis and Afganis looked up to us and how glad they were that we were there. Personally, I don't buy it, but I know I don't have enough information to pass judgement. Americans (like anyone, really) want to believe that we're the good guys. But I don't doubt there is some truth to those articles.

At this point I have a knee-jerk reaction to disbelieve anything the Bush adminstration says. He seems to live in his own little fantasy world and sadly, I think he often believes what he says. Please don't think that the current administration represents all of us.

kirovman said:
Well if they don't learn from our past mistakes then I hope they learn when September 11 the sequel happens.
"...this could be ten times worse than 9/11."
"You mean...?"
"Yes; 9,110."

kirovman said:
The explaination "they hate freedom" just doesn't quite cut it for me.
Maybe some do hate freedom, .

thats the stupides thing ever, how can any living thing "hate freedom", think about it

p.s.
i'm not ripping on you by the way

tinyxipe said:
Very interesting. Here in the US we're always being told how much the Iraqis love us. I just watched a program this morning where Laura Bush was interviewed. She was talking about how much the Iraquis and Afganis looked up to us and how glad they were that we were there. .
it's called BULL SHIT

iyfyoufhl said:
thats the stupides thing ever, how can any living thing "hate freedom", think about

p.s.
i'm not ripping on you by the way

I am disagreeing with their explaination that they "hate freedom."

I agree with you saying how can any living thing hate freedom - it's incomprehensible.
The hating freedom terminology is just used to rally people's support, as a smokescreen for the truth.

tinyxipe said:
Very interesting. Here in the US we're always being told how much the Iraqis love us.
You're watching Fox News too much.

kirovman said:
The hating freedom terminology is just used to rally people's support, as a smokescreen for the truth.
exactly what i said - BULLSHIT

Steve_O said:
You're watching Fox News too much.
I never watch Fox. I also said I didn't believe it. It was fairly obvious she was regurgitating a pre-written speech.

The US media is biased and I take everything they say with a grain of salt. It's always interesting to get viewpoints from other countries as they are rarely the same as what we are being expected to believe. Please note that I mean that as a good thing.

Its a simmilar thing to saying "Dont you support our troops?" when someone is protesting against the war.

Its a nothing question - it means nothing. What is the correct answer? No I dont. Yes I do - what does that actually mean anyway, supporting our troops. How am I supporting them? By blindly agreeing with a premise for war which I dont agree with. Is that what people should do when they know something isnt right, but are too scared to speak out against it because they are afriad of being labelled un patriotic, or as someone who doesnt support the troops.

As Chomsky says its a nothing question merely conceived to divert attention away fro the question that should be asked, ie

Do you think we should have gone to war in the first place?

Cons Himself said:
Its a simmilar thing to saying "Dont you support our troops?" when someone is protesting against the war.

Its a nothing question - it means nothing. What is the correct answer? No I dont. Yes I do - what does that actually mean anyway, supporting our troops. How am I supporting them? By blindly agreeing with a premise for war which I dont agree with. Is that what people should do when they know something isnt right, but are too scared to speak out against it because they are afriad of being labelled un patriotic, or as someone who doesnt support the troops.

As Chomsky says its a nothing question merely conceived to divert attention away fro the question that should be asked, ie

Do you think we should have gone to war in the first place?
no, no, no, and no i don't support our troops,
happy?

no. the answer you give when someone asks you that question is the one I outlined above. otherwise they will jump down your neck for NOT SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS, and from then on a proper conversation will be impossible.

Cons Himself said:
no. the answer you give when someone asks you that question is the one I outlined above. otherwise they will jump down your neck for NOT SUPPORTING OUR TROOPS, and from then on a proper conversation will be impossible.
no, honestly i say no "i don't support the troops", my friend got his ass kicked at the bar for that by some frat guy

its silly, if you disagree with the war then simply say what i outlined above. if you want american soldiers to die by all means say what your friend said, but dont expect much sympathy from anyone.

tinyxipe said:
I never watch Fox. I also said I didn't believe it. It was fairly obvious she was regurgitating a pre-written speech.
Never said you believed it, but I very rarely see any media that gives me the impression that the Iraqis love us.

they probably dont.

your avergae iraqi probably thinks at least under Saddam there was some semblance of order in the streets, however corrupt and despotical the regime was. at least people were not getting blown up in the streets every day.

it may seem strange to you, since america has toppled a brutal dictator but thats the way it is - to the iraqis now, the order under saddam, however brutal, probably seems preferrable to what is going on at the moment.

im sure if and when things quieten down and iraq becomes another american satellite state a la israel, and people start feeling safe on the street again, and the money from the oil starts flowing, they will start to change their attitude a bit.

it may be take another generation before things really settle down though. thats just the way it is im afraid.

what is so wrong about saying "I don't support our troops" i doesn't mean that i want them to die, i just want them to stop fighting for a wrong cause and comeback home safe, american people are too nerrow-minded (not all but majority, especialy in the south)

you dont get my point and i dont have the energ to type it out again. its a trick question, and if you answer like that youre only playing into the pro-war camp's hands. thats politics mate.

iyfyoufhl said:
what is so wrong about saying "I don't support our troops" i doesn't mean that i want them to die, i just want them to stop fighting for a wrong cause and comeback home safe, american people are too nerrow-minded (not all but majority, especialy in the south)
How about this. "I support our troops, but not the cause."

Steve_O said:
How about this. "I support our troops, but not the cause."
but the troops are their for a cause so i automaticly don't support their actions, i don understand it's not their choice, but they are there, and are fighting, and i don't support it or them, i think it be better to say "I dont support our troops actions" as individuals i don't care for them, i'd support any solder who is off duty, but i do wanna see them well and alive)

I agree totally with the artical originally posted. I know people who are currently serving under British command in Iraq, and their story tallies totally with what the article says.

The majority of American troops have a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach which creates a very deep divide between them and the Iraqi people.
This is only fueling the insurgency and in my opinion, will lead the eventual defeat by the US, or at least, the collapse of any goverment the coaltion set up in Iraq.

Put simply, public opinion and hearts and minds are the most important things to control in a counter insurgency, and the side that has the upper hand is the insurgency, not the coalition troops.
At the risk of angering some, the situation in Iraq really is starting to draq parallels with Vietnam. The coalition has vastly superior resources, but the insurgents have a much better strategic position, and the coalition don't seem to be doing much about it.

but the troops are their for a cause so i automaticly don't support their actions, i don understand it's not their choice, but they are there, and are fighting, and i don't support it or them, i think it be better to say "I dont support our troops actions" as individuals i don't care for them, i'd support any solder who is off duty, but i do wanna see them well and alive)

To be fair, a lot of the soldiers there are probably conscripts or people who joined up before the events of 9/11. While it is their duty to follow through with the war and obey the commands of their superiors, they didn't decide to declare war on another country.

Just to make sure you know, what i posted is a compilation from three articles, the links from which they came are at the bottom of the first post.

Its a very disturbing situation,especially when you consider all the prison abuse situations.

Did these stories make it in the US. I know they weren't big news in NZ, i only found out about them, after they were referred to in an article.

OT:
Only last week i heard a Californian pub radio where they interviewed a 25 year vet of the CIA, holding one of the most senior positions. He said that it wasn't that the intelligence agencies failed in their jobs, its that the information was allowed to be politicised by Washington. He directly compared the misinformation/disinformation coming out of Washington as on a par with that from past European fascist regimes. A very scary time in my opinion.

Also from the same radio programme, did you know that during Kennedy's presidency, after the bay of pigs, the Armed forces big kahunas, thought of a plan to commit terrorism against American's so they could blame it on Cuba, to justify an invasion. Planned acts included shooting people, and bombing things. Most sophisticated though, was to fake a plane load of high school students with CIA agents. The plane takes of from a Florida airport, then shortly after makes a landing at a secret CIA airfield, this plane is then replaced with a drone that flies over Cuba, its equipped with pre recorded distress signals, saying that its coming under fire, it fly's of the coast of Cuba and is destroyed remotely in mid air over the ocean.

Thankfully Rumsfeld wasn't around in those days, McNamara promptly rejected the plans and sent the lead General to Europe as NATO commander, a sizable demotion apparently.

This all came out in the late 1990's when they did one last inquiry to see if there was any evidence of conspiracy in the Kennedy assassination. It was locked away in a Defense vault, because it had no relevance to the inquiry it was given to a reporter, who was being interviewed in the radio show. The document is now in the National archives for anyone to look at.

Thankfully Rumsfeld wasn't around in those days, McNamara promptly rejected the plans and sent the lead General to Europe as NATO commander, a sizable demotion apparently.

Yes, because I'm sure that Rumsfeld would condone acts of terrorism just to sway public opinion :rolleyes:

I think the root the problem with US occupation tactics is a lack of experience. The US hasn't done any kind of occupation since WWII and doesn't really do anything in teh way of training in that department. This is the first I've heard of this sort thing, apparently it hasn't gotten a whole lot of coverage in the mainstream US media. It doesn't bode well for a pro-US (read a Middle Eastern country that doesn't want us to explode) Iraq.

Unno phrases like 'hearts and minds', 'shock and awe', pretty much straight outta Vietnam. They spent a better part of a decade there droping bombs and killing people, if not doing that then advising on how to do those things. I woulda thought they would have learnt allot from Vietnam in terms of what it actually takes to win hearts and minds. Hell they remembered the spin from Vietnam, you would hope they could remember the repercussions of losing the support of a people. I spose they did remember to keep the media as sanitized as possible. Sigh.

"I support our troops when they are off duty"-how about that?

Back