been playin hl1 again

Fiberawptic

Reaction score
Well, i think the last time i got pretty serious on hl1 and played it a lot was 2002... So it had been a while, but with all this hl1 vs. hl2 talk i thought i'd play it again... And heres somethings ive noticed/my reaction...

Well, the game sure doesn't dissapoint, and it feels fresh and new playing it after a few years break... I noticed the thing that really makes the game challenging is the fact that the enemies bullets do so much damage, on hard its like what, 25 hp per bullet? Correct me if im wrong.. The graphics werent a problem for me because i still remember my reaction of the graphics being amazing when it came out.

Something about the game, imo, is that i think the levels towards the beginning are the best, im talking about blast-pit, office complex, hell- one of my favorites is probably the beginning at sector C test labs... Im not saying the levels afterward got bad, but the ones in the beginning were just so good.. I think its mainly because its heavily underground and theres like darker and creepier places too; ravenholm is probably, with a few others, my favorite level in hl2 so go figure :D. I just am not a big fan of surface tension, and i remember why i didnt like on-a-rail so much :).

I'd say the most striking thing ive noticed (had been aware of it but now really appreciate it) was how atmospheric the game was, especially in levels like blast pit, office complex. Im talking mainly about the sound, i mean, if im crawling through and air-duct, i can hear the sound of the fan spinning and the winding rushing through, and i hear the noises im making reverberating through it too... Or that part in the meat locker i hear the freezer running and all the sounds just tie into the environment perfectly. kelly baily is soo good at that and with recent technology he improved upon it even more in hl2, but even for today, hl1's sound ambience is just incredible so for its time it probably was so- cant think of a very eccentric word... Valve is also very good at making the environments varied and diverse, even for those days and even today when halos environments repeat alot...

I was always 'aware' of how great the game is, but you have to play it to 'experience' it.

You touched me deep. I'm going to start playing them more. but I'm a huge fan of Blue Shift. I know what you mean about the atmospheric levels too. I was amazed by them.
In fact the only thing about hl1 that really bugged me was the fact that the crowbar made the same annoying sound no matter what you hit with it.

You touched me deep. I'm going to start playing them more. but I'm a huge fan of Blue Shift. I know what you mean about the atmospheric levels too. I was amazed by them.
In fact the only thing about hl1 that really bugged me was the fact that the crowbar made the same annoying sound no matter what you hit with it.

Yeah blue shift is good, i possibly liek it more than op4, but id have to reflect on that...

Back