Best Game you've ever played?

Sparta

Reaction score
I just finished Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and it got me thinking about some of the best games i've ever played. That games up there but i wouldn't call it the best. I think Zelda : OoT and Grim Fandango are probably the best i've ever played. Grim Fandango beats it hands down, dungeons annoy me and the atmosphere in Grim Fandango is just ****ing awesome.

Well, what game do you guys think is the best?

Half-Life series, Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Quake 1/2/3, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Jedi Outcast, Prince of Persia, Unreal, Unreal Tournament 2004, Painkiller

Try to narrow it down to 1 game, and explain why

Return To Castle Wolfenstein, because of the medic, engineer and lieutenant classes, the interesting objectives, the teamplay, the mature community and the funny voicechats.

:naughty:

Rainbow Six 3: Ravenshield & Atena Sword(expansion)

very realistic, if you've played Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault(of course you loved the gameplay) Ravenshield & Athena Sword's gameplay is very similar. What can I say? just pure fun and skill.

Best game so far is FarCry and in second position is ViceCity

I've played many good games, but Jak II takes the price.

Grim Fandango. Black humour, great timing; a Lucasarts Masterpiece before they totally sold out to Star Wars.

That, or Sacrifice - I just keep on going back to it. A magnificent work of Shiny genius.

Mario Kart (64): 110% Fun with friends :) Though i haven't tried Double Dash yet.
Zelda is always great. "A Link to the Past" is my fav Zelda, because it has the better dungeons & riddles. But OoT would be second.
Grim Fandango: The setting, the humor, riddles... everything :D

Hard to choose any single one...

Well, Half Life kinda goes without saying... Frontier: Elite II/Frontier First Encounters was pretty damn good...

Oh...

YEAH!

RUFF 'N' TUMBLE!

Half life.

I remember watching some friends playing it and getting hooked. Then I bought it and I was doomed to a life of gameing.
I mean I allready loved games. But this was the IT game of all time that made sure I would never leave the virtual 3d for too long at a time.

you kno.... half-life did bring me into PC gaming.... i had a N64... but PC gaming, the greatest gaming of all! plus, all the tweaking and building and buying (damn you $199 9800 pro).... and now my career choice is set.... but a another time for that, control

Quake, Half-Life, FarCry, RTCW, DOOM, DOOM2, Clive Barker's Undying, Alien VS Predator 2, Halo,.

i find it impossible to choose my favorite- my gaming experience is made out of lots of different genres- one game doesnt defing gaming at its best to me- all games do.

I wanted to say Half-Life but that would be a lie.

Red Alert is the best game i have ever played. It was at a time when i was just getting old enough to really understand (in terms of their context in the real world) the stories behind games like that and and not only that but the game play was excelent. The cut scenes were great and those briefings your got were just wonderful. After the campaign was over, skirmishes offered no end of fun, especially with the Aftermath addon pack and "mega maps" that came with it.

Runners up were of course, halflife, command and conquer (Tiberian Dawn). Then in no particular order there was, Generals Zero Hour, MTW, Master of Orion (Trilogy, especially 3 though), Homeworld 1/2, Max Payne 1/2, the Halflife official addons and Starcraft.
Having said that though, i think red alert is the winner not just because i had the most fun with it...because its equal between a few, but because it was the first game i really sunk my teeth into. Command and conquer got me really interested though.

Of course, there were a lot of games on the Amiga 500 which were fantastic...but i couldnt list most of them, largely due to not remembering the names but also because its part of a different time now.

Best games I have ever played:

--Red Orchestra mod for UT2003/2004.
--Far Cry
--Medal of Honor: Allied Assault (from a long time ago.)
--Call of Duty (single player only)
--Super Mario Sunshine

Ninja Gaiden... or FarCry. Can't say why 'cause it's so gawddamned obvious ^__^ :D.

Half - Life is my all time number one game. Groundbraking for it's day and set the milestone for other Developers. And it is still going strong right up to this very day. Nothing has come close to creating the same experience.

Although, Deus Ex did come very close.

Half-Life, no game has had a greater impact on my life, its so amazing in almost every aspect

runners up: Age of Empires II, Starcraft, Red Alert, Red Alert 2, Mario 64, Deus Ex, OoT, Alien vs. Predetor 1,2 , R-Type series, Goldeneye, FF7, FF8, FF9, Metal Gear Solid, Bushido Blade 2, Tenchu 2, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Mario Party, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda: A Link to the Past, Unreal Tournament, Quake III, Quake II, Quake, DOOM, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Soldier of Fortune, Soldier of Fortune II, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II, IGI, Duke Nukem 3D, Battlefield 1942, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Super Smash Brothers, Super Smash Brothers: Melee, Jet Grind Radio, Skies of Arcadia, Sonic Adventure (DC), RTCW, MohAA, Pokemon RED/BLUE, Mario: Six Golden Coins, Tekken 1,2,3,tag tournament, Dead or Alive 3, Ghost Recon, Diablo 2, Rainbow 6 series, No One Lives Forever the list goes on....

Hmmm.. close race for me:

-Far Cry
-FF7
-Warcraft 3 (Custom maps make replay value limitless)
-MGS Series
-Halo (MP pretty much - Xbox version)
-Starcraft (Forgot to put this one in there at first)

Some people are listing things like, "Half-Life Series"...there's only one so far.

Zelda: A Link to the Past (There was a friggin' room full of people watching the final fight with Ganon on my first time through! I had died 199 times throughout the game. :D I still play it from time to time, but in a single sitting. :p)

Diablo II & Starcraft (The only games to ever get me addicted.)

Morrowind (I never really got anywhere in it, but it has the best atmosphere ever in a game.)

Goldeneye, Team Fortress Classic, and Mario 64 (Playing these games for the first time was absolutely amazing.)

Clse call between KotOR and Far Cry.
EDIT: Forgot HL1. That's maybe in third.

I'm too afraid to make a list incase I forget to include some games. But high on my list are games like HL, Deus Ex, Perfect Dark, OFP.

dont list, , The best 'Game' youve ever played.

Half Life had the most impact definately, on the FPS genre

Half Life Half Life Half Life HALF LIFE!

god these sorts of questions are always so awkward. my all time favourite game has to be Civilization. but then i'd be forgetting Medieval: Total War, Sensible Soccer, HL, Red Alert, Tie-Fighter, any Rainbow Six game, HL, Morrowind, Deus Ex, System Shock 1/2, erm what else am i forgetting...Championship Manager, UT2004 (only just), Monkey Island 1-3, Sam & Max..i'd add more but those are the select few that have made an impact on my life. i grew up with these games and it's an intruiging experience going back to play them again. but yeah, overall i'd have to stick with good old Civ.

Letters said:
Morrowind (I never really got anywhere in it, but it has the best atmosphere ever in a game.)
QUOTE]

Of course...Morrowind, how could i forget. That was a good game, one of the things i liked about it most was the simplicity of mod making. It had it all in the TES editor ready for you.

However, i never thought much of the ending. I wont spoil it but it could have been a bit better.

Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, Half-Life, No One Lives Forever 1 & 2, Halo and Max Payne 2.

Chrono Trigger. Nothing compares to Chrono Trigger.

Second favorite would probably be Deus Ex.

Without a doubt, half-life...

but I will never forget MY classic games, playing these on a LAN when they were new... at my friend's dad's computer shop:

Decent (sp?)
Doom
ROTT (Rise of the Triad)
then a little later we played some Hexen and Duke3d.
Old school PC FPS guy here :)

I also can't forget the good times with:
Battle Toads (NES and Genesis I think)
Bad Dudes (NES)
Kid Chameleon (Genesis)
Sonic Series (Genesis)
Mario Series of course
Mario 64 and Goldeneye (N64)
Toy Commander.. fun game (Dreamcast)

Now those were the good ole' days of gaming for me. ;(

E.V.O. , hands down the best RPG I've ever played. Made by Enix back in 1992, GREAT game. I still play it on occasion. Words can't describe it.. it just oozes classic, my favorite game of all time :)

Second favorite would have to be Chrono Trigger

E.V.O. Is fun stuff. I really don't think it's the best RPG I've played..but cool nonetheless. The different kinds of dinosaurs you can become is just crazy. Had lots of fun with it. I've played it through twice now..but I'm tired of it.

AmishSlayer said:
E.V.O. Is fun stuff. I really don't think it's the best RPG I've played..but cool nonetheless. The different kinds of dinosaurs you can become is just crazy. Had lots of fun with it. I've played it through twice now..but I'm tired of it.

It's hard to explain, but, I first played that game back when it came out.. and.. I dunno, just been my favorite ever since :)

I love how you go from a fish to a human, even though I don't believe in evolution, it's still my favorite game lol

Nobody has mentioned Mechwarrior 2 yet. That has to be one of the greatest games ever.

If anybody knows how to make Mechwarrior 2 work with Windows XP let me know.

Half-Life and Starcraft because they're the only two games I really got addicted to.

Back