Best Guitar player?

Adrien C

Reaction score
Who would you call the best guitar player around? And I'm not talking about the most famous one, I'm talking about the real guitar player who gives guitar good fame. Not those crack addicts like slash.

My personal fav is Mark Tremonti, Alter Bridge's solo man.

What about you ?

u cant call slash a crack addict even if he is it doesn't matter u cant deny his obvious skill on playing the guitar. Look at Hendrix. He was always ****ed on heroine and shit, yet he was still an amazing guitarist.

SenorDingDong said:
u cant call slash a crack addict even if he is it doesn't matter u cant deny his obvious skill on playing the guitar. Look at Hendrix. He was always ****ed on heroine and shit, yet he was still an amazing guitarist.

Dont think Hendrix did heroin, theres even doubt he did LSD, but I personally think its pretty obvious. Biiiig difference between heroin and LSD.
And Slash is kickass, although I dont like Velvet Revolver. Plus, "best" is hard to decide, too general methinks.

its obviously that guy from the strokes who plays the same damn note for the entire song, on every song they have....

ps. The strokes suck

i like the strokes but they are way too simple and.......i hope the guy who said Tom was kidding

MetalPiranha said:
Now - John5, thats some good shit!
Well, that explains it. :p

Anyway, the person I'm listening to as I write this is Philip Hii. His classical music played on an acoustic guitar is beautiful. I particularly like his interpretation of Johann Sebastian Bach's Chromatic Fantasy and Fugue.

MetalPiranha said:
I actually hate hendrix - his music may be good but its just really lame.

Now - John5, thats some good shit!

http://www.john-5.com/nwwd/index.html - click on track5 at the bottom.

hmm not bad, but he has absolutely nothing on Stevie Ray Vaughan

Everyone who likes guitar should see his "live at the mocambo" dvd

MetalPiranha said:
I actually hate hendrix - his music may be good but its just really lame.

...Pardon?

While I enjoy a good guitar solo, I prefer a more ensemble affair.

Jimi Hendrix of course, Robert Johnson phenomenal Blues guitar, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, I'm a fan of The Edge, there are really a lot of amazing players, and it's hard to judge this because of the huge variety of music types. If you don't like the blues, chances are you wouldn't acknowledge Robert Johnson, if you don't like rock, Hendrix may slip on your list. I just listed some of those who represent a variety of genres and are all great in their own capacity.

David Gilmour is my favorite. Hes not a technical guitarist, which I like, he doesnt go for the crazy look double tap amazing skill thing like Eddie van Halen or Steve Vai (they are still pretty good, gotta love eruption) and gilmour has skill but he chooses not to show off and give a better sound. And every solo I hear by him just makes my stomach twist and churn (in a good way) and my favorite solo in comfortably numb just makes me want to cry. Listen to his solo in Shine on You Crazy Diamond, its genious, hes not doing anything special, a G dorian/G minor scale and thats it, and he makes it just takes me out of reality. Its great.

Richie Blackmoor, Eric Clapton, Dave Gilmour, Jimmy Page and Hendrix.

Yeah i was joking

Without question: hendrix (sure his lyrics might be lame but his music tops the cake), SRV (amazing rock blues guitarist), Brain May (his style is so unique and he writes great solos), and robert johnson is just mindblowing.

MilkMan12 said:
David Gilmour is my favorite. Hes not a technical guitarist, which I like, he doesnt go for the crazy look double tap amazing skill thing like Eddie van Halen or Steve Vai (they are still pretty good, gotta love eruption) and gilmour has skill but he chooses not to show off and give a better sound. And every solo I hear by him just makes my stomach twist and churn (in a good way) and my favorite solo in comfortably numb just makes me want to cry. Listen to his solo in Shine on You Crazy Diamond, its genious, hes not doing anything special, a G dorian/G minor scale and thats it, and he makes it just takes me out of reality. Its great.

Word.

Theres too many to choose. John Petrucci definitely goes somewhere up top. Not just for his work with Dream Theater but other recorded stuff he's done with Music Man and Liquid Tension Experiment, etc.

There is no best guitarist, im really getting tired of these posts...but hey - if ya dont like whats on TV dont watch it, right?

Here are some of my favirote guitars:

-Joe Pass
-John Fogerty
-Angus Young
-Jimmy Page
-Steve Vai
-Joe Satriani
-B.B King
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Eddie Van Halen

I've heard some Joe Satriani, fast player but crappy songs :/

Yeah after seeing g3, i dont care for joe satriani and steve vai, but Yngwie Malmsteen was a great performer. For awhile i liked Eric Clapton, i respect him as a great guitarist, just that his songs got really old for me. Im judging this on good songwriters (guitar solos), not on whos more fast and whatever.

Just started listening to Tommy Emmanuel but he's AMAZING!!!

Vai and Satriani are two of his biggest fans. Plays acoustic so fast and plans the bass, lead and melody. Great to listen to and I will get to see him live in the summer!

Batio is one of the fastest guitar players around. Its a shame he makes utter shit music. But the speed is good to gawp at... sometimes.

My favourites guitarists:

Mike Oldfield
Brian May
Eric Clapton

John Mayer - Why Georgia

Serious guitar talent right there.

Hmm... Joe Satriani surely is one of the best technically... but I like James Hetfield and Kirk Hamett's music better :)

Ah, and Mark Knopfler of course!

While the biggies have been taken carfe of (Hendrix, Clapton, etc.) not ONE person has mentioned Jerry Garcia?

Wow.

Yngwie Malmsteem
Luca Turilli
Enver Izmailov
Tom Morello

If you don't know these guys, listen to them soon.

Luca Turilli also Plays In Rhapsody

Tom Morello- Rage Against the Machine.

Anyone heard of Tommy Emanuel (sp?), even Satriani and others say he's awesome.

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
James Hetfield (only because is an amazing down stroker and has written most of Metallica's solos)
Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
Eddie Van Halen
Yngwie Malmsteem

Hendrix, definitely.

By the way, alot of evidence points that his death was not caused by overdose on drugs, but that someone spiked his drink at a part/convention he attended right before his death.

Prince is an underrated guitarist. I don't like what he's doing now, but during the second half of the eighties he pwnd everyone. I've seen him live in '88 and that was one of the best concerts I ever saw. During that gig he was God's gift to guitars. Later that night he performed at an after-party. I have a recording of that concert and during a jam he solo's as if he's the reincarnation of Jimi Hendrix. The recording is on cassette btw, so if anyone has it digitally, please pm me. The recording is prolly called something like: Prince in 't Paard (the name of the club he played in; it's in The Hague, the Netherlands).

Jimmy Page has gotta be my fave, he may not be the best technical guitarist, but the way he can play most styles of guitar playing and make such catchy riffs makes him one of the best. Stairway to Heaven solo anyone?

Oh yeah, I love Cobain, he was an awful, awful guitarist by technical standards, but he played it with such power and conviction, and he showed that you could make a catchy song without too much guitar jiggery. Don't flame me...

Back