Best metal style?

What is your favourite Metal genre? [Brackets denote additional subgenres within]

• Black Metal [Symphonic/Melodic]

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Death Metal [Melodic, Technical, Brutal]

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Melo-Death [Gothenburg]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doom Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gothic Metal [Symphonic/Melodic]

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Heavy Metal

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Power Metal [Speed, with Harsh Lyrics]

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Progressive Metal

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Thrash Metal

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters

Fat Tony!

Reaction score
Vote vote vote, I choooose power metal. Okay that sucks I canceled the thread creation since I couldn't think of many sub genres

Death Metal all the way, baby.

I'll add a poll for you if you like.

Thrash.

It birthed the monstrosity that became Death Metal as we now know it(and I mean "monstrosity" in a very evil metal way here :devil: )

That's going to be an interesting poll considering there'a a whole bunch of sub-genres under the metal umbrella.

Coolest. Poll. Ever.

although subgenre's are even less defined than genre's, I would have to say what can only be described as melodic metal, such as sonata arctica's style.

Fat Tony! said:
Vote vote vote, I choooose power metal. Okay that sucks I canceled the thread creation since I couldn't think of many sub genres

Power ballads are even better.

-Angry Lawyer

Death metal is cool but its not something i can always listen too. Ill listen too heavy metal all the time tho

Thrash, yuh. Agressor and Destruction > you.

I voted for Thrash. Probably due to the fact that i'm a Punk fan, and Thrash is the closest thing Metal has to my beloved genre of Hardcore.

BTW, i'm lovin' Lamb of God at the moment, what subgenre would you say they belonged to?

Your Description of Power Metal is wrong.

Power Metal in no way shape or form has harsh lyrics, its all about good clean vocals, and usually have some of the better singers in metal.

TheGrimSweeper said:
Your Description of Power Metal is wrong.

Power Metal in no way shape or form has harsh lyrics, its all about good clean vocals, and usually have some of the better singers in metal.
If you read the description above the poll, it says that items within the brackets are possible subgenres - bands that play Power Metal with harsh lyrics, for example Children of Bodom or Norther.

Good ole Heavy Metal is my favourite, i feel that is the best way to describe Metallica's best stuff (Master of Puppets-Black Album) and Maiden, Though must admit i love my thrash, e.g. Kill 'em All by Metallica, Trivium , Bullet for my Valentine. Then i think you can chuck Mastodon in both.

p.s. what would you describe Rammstein as? Industrial Metal? Heavy Metal? :rolling:

You didn't list the best metal of them all.

"Blues" metal.

Evo said:
Good ole Heavy Metal is my favourite, i feel that is the best way to describe Metallica's best stuff (Master of Puppets-Black Album) and Maiden, Though must admit i love my thrash, e.g. Kill 'em All by Metallica, Trivium , Bullet for my Valentine. Then i think you can chuck Mastodon in both.

p.s. what would you describe Rammstein as? Industrial Metal? Heavy Metal? :rolling:
Rammstein are Industrial Hardcore, not Metal. Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine are certainly not thrash.

Axyon said:
Rammstein are Industrial Hardcore, not Metal. Trivium and Bullet for my Valentine are certainly not thrash.

Well i'll accept your point about Rammstein, never been able to define them myself, but i personally stick by my opinion on Trivium and Bullet, maybe more Heavy Metal than thrash but meh. All that counts is that i love em all

Guess i'll never convince some of you Trivium ain't metalcore

Evo trivium and bullet aint thrash, where did u get that from?

Just evo being random as usual, heavy metal i think is the best way to describe them...heavy is what thet sure are.

Pure 100% against-the-grain American Heavy Metal. Or something like that.

Top Secret said:
WTF. O_O

Where the hell is the Nu Metal?
Nu-metal is not Metal. The only similarity it shares is that it has 'metal' in its name.

What about just Metal? Thats a metal isn't it? It happens to also be the best metal too.

bumblebee said:
What about just Metal? Thats a metal isn't it? It happens to also be the best metal too.
Metal is a collective term - every band has to fall into one of the genres of Metal, most of which are listed above.

Fair enough. I'll always consider any Metal, just Metal. But I'll go with Heavy Metal or Death Metal.

SearanoX said:
Listen to some Iron Maiden or older Judas Priest, or even some more recent heavy metal like Blaze, and tell me that sounds anyhting like Trivium.

There is a big difference imo betweend American Heavy Metal and British Heavy Metal, Trivium are American and as such ain't gonna sound much like those you mentioned (not sure where Blaze are from btw)

Evo said:
There is a big difference imo betweend American Heavy Metal and British Heavy Metal, Trivium are American and as such ain't gonna sound much like those you mentioned (not sure where Blaze are from btw)
Seriously, wherever you go people will tell you that Trivium is not Heavy Metal. They are Metalcore/Nu-Metal, and that is that. You seem to like them so much, so what does it matter what genre they are?

Axyon said:
Seriously, wherever you go people will tell you that Trivium is not Heavy Metal. They are Metalcore/Nu-Metal, and that is that. You seem to like them so much, so what does it matter what genre they are?

I know, said earlier i would give up tryin to convince ya, but my previous post was more just tryin to identify between US Heavy Metal and British Heavy Metal :bounce:

seriously you cant put this kinda stuff in specific genres especially when everybodys opinions are different. The American Heavy metal is different from British Heavy Metal. See i dont beleive maiden are heavy metal at all. Peoples opinions will never settle this matter.

Hmm, bear in mind that some of those genres are about as wide and undefined as the term 'music' itself, but anyway...

Personally, I always fall right on the fence that divides black and death metal. Sometimes I ask myself which one I like best, and sometimes I reach a conclusion, but it seems to change month by month.

For example, I might listen to straight up death metal like Nile, followed by some depressive misanthropic black metal like Leviathan, then switch to some tech death metal like Theory In Practice, skip to some foresty black metal along the lines of Hate Forest, then some Behemoth, who used to be black but are now death, and top it off with some Axis of Advance, who are death but who everyone calls black metal.

Can't decide... sod it, I'll go for black today.

BTW, you crumblies trying to figure out what to pick if you like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc should pick Heavy metal :E

And if you're trying to argue something is metal when others disagree, they are probably right :p

Axyon said:
Metal is a collective term - every band has to fall into one of the genres of Metal, most of which are listed above.

Uh, no they don't.

Axyon said:
Nu-metal is not Metal. The only similarity it shares is that it has 'metal' in its name.

No, that's opinion based. It's still branched from Heavy Metal. A lot of metal fans claim it's not metal, because of it's generic differences. No solos, odd timing, etc etc. I've found a lot of metal heads claim Nu-metal isn't metal for the simple fact that it became so popular. They want to be radicals, so they say "Hey, that's too mainstream for me, it's not real metal." When in fact, it's still a bunch of guys playing 7 string guitars, and screaming. You're telling me Korn and Deftones aren't metal? Static-X? POWERMAN 5000?!

In the end, it's opinion based. There's no definition on whether Nu metal is metal or not. To me, it is. So my position stands. Where the **** is the nu-metal option?

Back