Best metal style?

What is your favourite Metal genre? [Brackets denote additional subgenres within]

• Black Metal [Symphonic/Melodic]

Votes: 8 24.2%
  • Death Metal [Melodic, Technical, Brutal]

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Melo-Death [Gothenburg]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doom Metal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gothic Metal [Symphonic/Melodic]

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Heavy Metal

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Power Metal [Speed, with Harsh Lyrics]

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Progressive Metal

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Thrash Metal

Votes: 5 15.2%

• Total voters
Top Secret said:
No, that's opinion based. It's still branched from Heavy Metal. A lot of metal fans claim it's not metal, because of it's generic differences. No solos, odd timing, etc etc. I've found a lot of metal heads claim Nu-metal isn't metal for the simple fact that it became so popular. They want to be radicals, so they say "Hey, that's too mainstream for me, it's not real metal." When in fact, it's still a bunch of guys playing 7 string guitars, and screaming. You're telling me Korn and Deftones aren't metal? Static-X? POWERMAN 5000?!

Everything is based on opinions, that goes without saying, but nevertheless there is a general consensus as to what constitutes metal within the scene. A large part of it is a strong anti-trend, iconoclastic sensibility and lack of self-consciousness which nu-metal does not have. That is why the majority of metallers don't accept nu-metal as metal - not because it became popular but because it is designed to be popular. It isn't just a matter of dislike. Power metal is massively disliked by a lot of people within metal, but noone actually disputes that it is metal.

Crucially, it isn't musically similar to metal either. Like you say, there's no solos and what genres within metal do not have solos? Simple riffs, extremely straightforward timing, linear song structures, vague anti-authority angst, mix of melodic and shouted vocals - these are all things you are more likely to find in punk than metal, making it more of a punk than a metal spinoff. The fact that crappy new pseudo-punk bands like Good Charlotte, etc. are popular among a lot of nu-metal fans is evidence of this. Nu-metal is about as metal as New Labour is Labour.

Distorted guitars + volume does not metal make. No, Static X, Korn and Deftones aren't metal. Deftones probably aren't even nu-metal. If nu-metal is what you listen to, why worry if other people think it's metal or not? Don't just try to associate it with metal just because you want the connection. If nu-metal fans say nu-metal is metal and other metal fans say it isn't, then other metal fans are obviously right because other metal fans own the rest of metal. You wont find much sympathy for nu-metal at all within metal fans in general, apart from the odd person or 2 liking Slipknot.

venturon said:
Uh, no they don't.
... yes, they do. Sonata Arctica are not just 'metal', Burzum is not just 'metal', Kreator are not just 'metal etc.

Laivasse said:
Bravo, sir. In regards to your previous post, I would have liked to have added branching subgenres and stuff - blackened death, etc, but poll length was the main issue. The examples of subgenres within brackets will have to do for now, unfortunately.

Opera-power-metal! (Nightwish...)
What style is Iron Maiden?

Axyon said:
... yes, they do. Sonata Arctica are not just 'metal', Burzum is not just 'metal', Kreator are not just 'metal etc.

Bravo, sir. In regards to your previous post, I would have liked to have added branching subgenres and stuff - blackened death, etc, but poll length was the main issue. The examples of subgenres within brackets will have to do for now, unfortunately.
6666 posts, my friend.

Laivasse said:
A large part of it is a strong anti-trend, iconoclastic sensibility and lack of self-consciousness which nu-metal does not have. That is why the majority of metallers don't accept nu-metal as metal - not because it became popular but because it is designed to be popular.

You're proving my point. People say it isn't metal because they're scared it will become what they're against. Too bad I say; don't all know that creations always destroy their creators? Nu-metal is metal. You're basing this upon ideas and philosophy. I say listen to the actual music. It sounds nothing like punk, it may share charactaristics of it, but it sounds nothing like it. I for one can't stand punk. Shouted lyrics? Have you listened to Static X? Wisconsin Death Trip? I don't know where you come from, but I know quite a few Nu-metal fans that can't stand Good Charlette. Including me. Take out the philosophical bullshit. Nu-metal, is metal. Deal with it.

Top Secret said:
You're proving my point. People say it isn't metal because they're scared it will become what they're against. Too bad I say; don't all know that creations always destroy their creators? Nu-metal is metal. You're basing this upon ideas and philosophy. I say listen to the actual music. It sounds nothing like punk, it may share charactaristics of it, but it sounds nothing like it. I for one can't stand punk. Nu-metal, is metal. Deal with it.
It is nothing more than an amalgamation of various genres. It is not metal.

Axyon said:
It is nothing more than an amalgamation of various genres. It is not metal.

That's not an arguement. In the least. Nu-metal, by definition, is metal. Go look it up. By sound, nu-metal, is metal. Philosphy? No. It's not metal. But we're not talking ways of life here, we're talking music.

Top Secret said:
That's not an arguement. In the least.
On the contrary. Subsequent metal genres all evolved from the existing ones, while Nu-Metal is basically a pick-n-mix from genres outside of metal.

Top Secret said:
Nu-metal, by definition, is metal. Go look it up. By sound, nu-metal, is metal. Philosphy? No. It's not metal. But we're not talking ways of life here, we're talking music.
Okay, I will. Hmm, let's try the Wikipedia. And I quote:

"Nu metal is a controversial subgenre of alternative rock. It sometimes bears some influence from hip-hop, because rhythmic innovation and syncopation are primary."

"Beyond the pronounced hip-hop influence, nu metal has--like most forms of alternative rock--proven somewhat difficult to define. Some fans and musicians have a firm concept of genre and subgenre, but others reject such categorization as unnecessary, limiting or useless.

Nu metal is not considered a form of heavy metal music at all, it is simply mis-construed as such."

Well, that was helpful advice. This has been most enlightening.

Axyon said:
On the contrary. Subsequent metal genres all evolved from the existing ones, while Nu-Metal is basically a pick-n-mix from genres outside of metal.

1. Damn you for quoting me mid-edit.

2. And? Ofcourse there are a lot of outside influences. There's rapping in a lot of nu-metal bands for instance. This is obviously not metal (Rap). However, taking outside influences to change something, doesn't mean it's completely different. Here's an example ->

Meshuggah - Future Breed Machine <- NOT NU-METAL

Mushroomhead - Eternal <- NU METAL

They have the same guitar riff. Yet somehow one isn't metal.

*Edit*

www.answers.com

"Nu metal (or aggro metal) is a controversial subgenre of heavy metal music."

Looks like we tie on the definition.

Top Secret said:
www.answers.com

"Nu metal (or aggro metal) is a controversial subgenre of heavy metal music."

Looks like we tie on the definition.
Later on in that article:

"Some heavy metal fans do not consider nu metal a form of heavy metal music at all, arguing the genre is too diluted from what they consider "true" heavy metal."

The two articles are practically identical to each other, with those key differences. We're going to get nowhere quoting this kind of stuff to each other.

Axyon said:
Later on in that article:

"Some heavy metal fans do not consider nu metal a form of heavy metal music at all, arguing the genre is too diluted from what they consider "true" heavy metal."

The two articles are practically identical to each other, with those key differences. We're going to get nowhere quoting this kind of stuff to each other.

I agree. The articles appear to be the same as eachother, with some minor differences. I know some metalheads don't think it's metal. I've been in this arguement before. To me, it's metal. So I'll vote when the option appears. Ciao.

Top Secret said:
I agree. The articles appear to be the same as eachother, with some minor differences. I know some metalheads don't think it's metal. I've been in this arguement before. To me, it's metal. So I'll vote when the option appears. Ciao.
Okay, I accept your opinion, but I'm not adding to the poll :p (which seems to have died anyway)

Axyon said:
Okay, I accept your opinion, but I'm not adding to the poll :p (which seems to have died anyway)

In that case, tech metal gets my vote.

(Bastard, hehe.)

Sorry to bring the nu-metal argument up again :eek: but nu-metal like many sub-genres of Metal is very hard to define. For me, nu-metal would come third in line if it was in the poll, after thrash in second and Heavy Metal in first. I am a Metallica and Maiden nutter yet still like my 'nu-metal' Slipknot and Korn (think someone a while back once described System as 'nu-metal') my punk with old skool Greenday and Offspring, and general hard rock, Guns n Roses.

Disclaimer: This is just how i view some of these bands (not goin go back over Trivum old ground in this thread)

Axyon said:

I don't know of any examples, but it would be foolish to say that there isn't a metal band out there that incorporates enough of a variety of styles to escape being labelled under just one sub-genre of metal. That's what I meant.

venturon said:
I don't know of any examples, but it would be foolish to say that there isn't a metal band out there that incorporates enough of a variety of styles to escape being labelled under just one sub-genre of metal. That's what I meant.
This is true - there are, however, they generally get named as Genre1/Genre2 Metal, for example Draconian are Gothic/Doom Metal and Absu are Black/Thrash Metal. If a band plays with two different incorporated genres but with bias to one, they're named like like Destroyer 666, for example - Blackened Death Metal. Simply put, any metal band must fall under the genres.

Back