Best single player FPS experience (revised)?

Best single player FPS experience?

• Half-Life

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • Doom series

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Quake series

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Rare titles (Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark)

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • Aliens vs Predator series

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • NOLF series (No One Lives Forever and its sequel)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Castle Wolfenstein series (including Return to Castle Wolfenstein)

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • System Shock series

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Halo

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Other (ones not listed here, please elaborate)

Votes: 9 12.9%

• Total voters

spitcodfry

Reaction score
Mine...Half-Life 2, for the seamless transition betweeen areas (with the exception of the portal teleport to Xen) and its wonderful atmosphere.

Again, Halflife, but its still a tie with Duke 3d. And why was it necessary to make a 2nd thread, when the first was fine???

Half-Life was my fav, but I also liked DooM, meh its hard to choose.

That Poll is missing some serious Operation Flashpoint.

Now that was a revolutionary game. Use any gun, any vehical, and no invisible walls or limits to where you can run. That is the number 1 game.

Deus Ex was memorable. Half-Life was but I've over-played it to much to think about it as being memorable. Same with Doom and Quake.

hmm...

*installs Deus Ex

Heheh, 75% HL so far. But then look at what forum you're in :|

Yeah... I got bored of Deus Ex after I got up to that ship. Too much security to even sneak about and have fun.

Originally posted by Sgt.Igneri
Dude are you serious? The SP in BF was a joke, it was made to be a MP game only.

heh shit my bad...didn't read the enitre question :afro:

god i hate bf1942 single player. It was so funny, it was just you lan server with bots.

Lol, did you ever put it on easy, with like 64 bots??? Well i turned EVERYTHING down cause it lagged, and still lagged. But even so, the end score was like 56-46-0

Originally posted by urseus

Now that was a revolutionary game. Use any gun, any vehical, and no invisible walls or limits to where you can run. That is the number 1 game.

Oh hell yes, one of my fav games of all time!

Blowing up civilian cars on desert island with the abrams was the best ever.

Last time, I totally forgot about Marathon. That was probably one of the best games I had played back when I was younger. It was more fun than even DOOM.

so...
1. Half-Life
2. Marathon
3. Doom

Originally posted by nw909
Oh hell yes, one of my fav games of all time!

Blowing up civilian cars on desert island with the abrams was the best ever.

Flashpoint ruined alot of other games for me. Id be playing Medal of Honour and think

"hmm i think ill go this way now oh wait i cant there is a wall there, or oh wait i cant there is a jeep conviently parked in my way.

Gee, its almost like im just running in a streight line with some germans every now and then to distract me. Im going back to flashpoint."

Because of the freedom flashpoint gave me i couldnt play any other crummy deathmatchy games anymore, still cant. Wolfenstein etc. Boring.

Ahhh GoldenEye... Ahhh Perfect Dark... so much fun.
Viva Rare!

I would definitly say Mafia. The story in that game is really really awesome and the way it is told is very pleasing. Halflife wasnt really that great of a singleplayer. You didnt really know what you were doing, just escaping. JK2 was pretty good too.

DOOM 1 and 2. Phatasmogoria...please tell me you guys have played this. Duke nukem 3d. Half-Life. Goldeneye 007 n64. Mario 64. Alone in the dark. Red alert. Grand Theft Auto. Counter Strike. Team Fortress Classic.

my Best single player FPS experience is when i was playing the game in front of my friends and they keep saying : " man how do u do this how do u do that, u're amazing, u're such genius".

well... I thought KINGPIN was pretty cool! it had lots of cool features, like you being able to pay some thug to kill bad guys... and the "Pawn-o-Matic" where you could buy weapons and armor. the MP wasn't that bad either.

Originally posted by tokin
DOOM 1 and 2. Phatasmogoria...please tell me you guys have played this. Duke nukem 3d. Half-Life. Goldeneye 007 n64. Mario 64. Alone in the dark. Red alert. Grand Theft Auto. Counter Strike. Team Fortress Classic.
i don't think PHANTASMAGORIA (!), mario64, alone in the dark, red alert and the grand theft auto series were First Person Shooters... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by urseus

heh. At last i know i'm not the only who likes that game. i bought it the day of it's release, and until today i still play it almost every day, i think that makes about three years now (at the moment I'm writing scripts for a mission I'm making...
Nampack2 really owns...)

but Deus Ex is still my absolute all-timer-best-gameplay-best-game-ever-made ahm... game.

Half Life, no doubt about it.
that's why i so eagerly await half life 2

Deus Ex is sadly missing from the list. I don't think anything else compares. :)

But then again, it's not really an FPS... more RPG in first person.

Originally posted by Fenrir
Deus Ex is sadly missing from the list. I don't think anything else compares. :)

But then again, it's not really an FPS... more RPG in first person.

Well, it does depend on how you play it. RPG is always involved of course, but you can push up your skills until you are human-sized tank with legs. And if you are that, you'll probably also act like a human tank and do what it would be meant for: Walking around and shooting everything that moves and has weapon (except friendly npcs of course). And that reminds me pretty hard of a fps.
And that freedom (amongst all the other great features) is what makes Deus Ex one of the best games ever programmed, if not THE best game.

Of course, thats juts my opinion.

NOLF was great. Shame hardly anyone bought it. NOLF2 was alright, but the first was longer, funnier, sillier with better characters and weapons. Aaaah.
Oh yeah where the bloody hell's Giants!? ("What the f*ck is a Kabuto!?" <Alan Partridge>Ahaaar!<Alan Partridge>) That was a great game! And GTA.
Oh. This is just FPSs.
How dull.

Originally posted by freddythefrog
heh. At last i know i'm not the only who likes that game. i bought it the day of it's release, and until today i still play it almost every day, i think that makes about three years now (at the moment I'm writing scripts for a mission I'm making...
Nampack2 really owns...)

I saw my brothers friend playing the demo ages before the release, and was blown away by it. I went home to my almost broken 56k modem and slowly downloaded it on and off over a period of 2 months at .4 kbps.

Thank god it wasnt corrupted. I too cant ever stop playing it, and rite now im playing:

www.invasion44.com

Its hella coo.

why do u keep not including deus ex? Im bettin most of you never played it (too young).

O well its SP was way better than HL Singlplayer.

i have played dues x but i didnt care for it much. I like the cool features it had though.

Originally posted by freddythefrog
but Deus Ex is still my absolute all-timer-best-gameplay-best-game-ever-made ahm... game.
Deus Ex was a great game in some aspects... but parts of the game looked amateurish (most noticeably the animation)... and its special features (like a slightly non-linear plot, inventory, skills, upgrades) weren't really special... just taken from RPGs and put into a FPS (which has been done before).
I would put it on my top 25 but probably not my top 10... much less #1.

^^

i would put DX #2, next to chronotrigger #1 and halflife #3.

Back