Best Storylined Game

I'll take your word for it over theirs :p

Argh, but for some reason this thread has got me really wanting to replay FFVII. I can't get the freaking battle theme out of my head!

Ooops, forgot Grim Fandango! I am embarrased.
Ah yes, another game very near the top of my "must play eventually" list. Seriously, it's right up there.

I'll take your word for it over theirs :p

Argh, but for some reason this thread has got me really wanting to replay FFVII. I can't get the freaking battle theme out of my head!

Ah yes, another game very near the top of my "must play eventually" list. Seriously, it's right up there.

You should NEVER not want to play FFVII....too great of a game ;D

Half-Life series
Knights Of The Old Republic series
Deus Ex
StarCraft
WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne (forgiving the total absence of orcs)
Condemned: Criminal Origins
FEAR

You should NEVER not want to play FFVII....too great of a game ;D
Da truf.

Eh, cheapest place I can find (seems to be pricier than when I got it all those years ago... if only I hadn't lost the discs) has a 2-3 week wait for getting in stock, so I might as well just wait for XII and satisfy myself with X for now.

But god, you'd think that damn battle theme would have left me alone by now, even after pumping up the OST to try and get rid of it. But no, it still persists. Nostalgia has me in it's steely grip and it won't let go :(

Indigo Prophecy, Dreamfall, half life, umm, not too many games right off the top of my head

I've been playing Final Fantasy X pretty much just for the story, got bored of the battle system pretty quick.
Out of all the FFs I've played I prefer X's battle system. I like the way you can see the turn order and use spells to arange it to suit you. I know it really helped against some of the bosses.

Gabriel Knight - Sins of the Fathers

If you also played that, you're also too bloody old to be playing silly games. Go and put your tartan slippers on and light your pipe.

Out of all the FFs I've played I prefer X's battle system. I like the way you can see the turn order and use spells to arange it to suit you. I know it really helped against some of the bosses.
Yeah, actually now you mention it I do quite like the battle system. I guess what I meant to say was I don't like the advancement system. Sphere grid really doesn't do it for me, way too linear. Infact the whole game is, even for a FF.

Yeah, actually now you mention it I do quite like the battle system. I guess what I meant to say was I don't like the advancement system. Sphere grid really doesn't do it for me, way too linear. Infact the whole game is, even for a FF.

True dat, but to be honest I liked it more then ff12 system because in the sphere grid alt least you can see which abilities are way ahead of you, in the ff12 system you can only see the ones next to the ones you unlocked, and that makes planning ahead harder, plus the way quickening were handled in ff 12 is annoying to say the least.

OH SNAP I completely forgot about Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy. The part with the gigantic insects is AWESOMEREST.

Fahrenheit
Half life series
Deus ex series
metal gear series
final fantasy series
max payne series
F.E.A.R.

True dat, but to be honest I liked it more then ff12 system because in the sphere grid alt least you can see which abilities are way ahead of you, in the ff12 system you can only see the ones next to the ones you unlocked, and that makes planning ahead harder, plus the way quickening were handled in ff 12 is annoying to say the least.

You have to admit, though, that it does tell you in a sense. Like with the spells/abilities/techniques. Up is spells, right is accessories, Right/down is techniques, left is spell power/magic, down is stat advancement. They lead the same way, you just have a problem with knowing EXACTLY whats ahead.

And I do like how X did the whole "Who's attacking next" thing. Was pretty sweet.

the system shock series...especially number two...absolutely amazing and chilling storylines

I actually thought F.E.A.R didnt have a bad story.

Well..the story actually sucked but it was the way they executed it through the gameplay (very few 'out-of-game' cutscenes), as it all unfolded right infront of you.

Oh, and that was the best shotgun ever. Period.

I quite liked FEAR's story. It didn't suck any more than Half-Life's did - relatively generic concept treated with exceptional delivery.

Oh, and in agreement with the shotgun. I though I guess I attribute that more to close-quarter slow-mo ownage.

Morrowind, Oblivion had good stories, but I always ended up trying to improve it for the roaming. The story itself is kind of a one-off thing.

MGS had an amazing story (who would have thought?), and definately kept me playing. So did MGS2, but less so as the twist wasn't built up to, it was more just forced on you very quickly.

Also I tired of Deus Ex's story early on, and couldn't even get to the end (but the concept is sound in my books), but I stayed for Deus Ex 2's story all the way through, and am trying to find time to go through it again to get a different ending.

The early Tomb Raider games were good too. I liked them a lot, and so did my mum. Really liked making her swan dive into concrete.

The reason why the Deus Ex storyline worked was because there were so many memorable characters throughout. In fact Deus Ex probably has the largest character library of any game I've played.

The reason why the Deus Ex storyline worked was because there were so many memorable characters throughout. In fact Deus Ex probably has the largest character library of any game I've played.

There was some RPG back in the day that had some 100+ characters you could get in your party *That's not including NPCs

i always though silent hill had good storylines, particularly silent hill 2...

Pretty much any game I play has to have a good story or else I won't bother with it. Tis why I don't play sport games. I can play those outside.

Some of my favorites though are:

Max Payne series
MGS series
GTA series
Final Fantasy series
Xenosaga trilogy
Fallout
Arcanum
Planescape

Surely you of all people would have said Deus Ex? D: D: D:

My vote: Deus Ex

Most of my picks have been chosen, so I'm just going to say something out of the blue..

Final Fantasy X's story sucked.

imo.

Most of my picks have been chosen, so I'm just going to say something out of the blue..

Final Fantasy X's story sucked.

imo.

I thought the summoner vs. sin with the sacrifice blah blah was kinda a nice idea, but the rest of it sucked. Why the hell did Yuna have 2 different colored eyes anyways :|

I thought the summoner vs. sin with the sacrifice blah blah was kinda a nice idea, but the rest of it sucked. Why the hell did Yuna have 2 different colored eyes anyways :|
Yeah, I like the concept, especially the whole pilgrimage aspect of it, but the characters kinda killed it for me. They don't really give you any reason to care. And most of them lack some sorely needed depth... like where the hell did Rikku come from? She saves you on a boat, then she tries to kidnap Yuna, then washes up on shore and HEY! Can I be a guardian? Sure, why not.

Also, I think Yuna's eyes are green and blue because she's half human and half Al Bhed. Which makes you wonder how Wakka never noticed. But then if he couldn't even see it in Rikku, then... actually nevermind, Wakka's a retard.

i always though silent hill had good storylines, particularly silent hill 2...
Oh yes, that reminds me. Games that I've been interested in the story of:
Half-Life series
Silent Hill 2 (only one I've played)
Final Fantasy X (the only one I've finished, every other one I had kept crashing at one point or another :()
Deus Ex
Metal Gear Solid 2
Zelda Series

All the games in here I've already played or have no intention of EVER playing. I'm depressed - I need a story game! :(

All the games in here I've already played or have no intention of EVER playing. I'm depressed - I need a story game! :(

Try Jade Empire, it has a superb story (in my view). Actually, JE is coming out on Steam in late Feb, so you can snag it from there if you have a high internet connection (and a credit card, of course).

Try Jade Empire, it has a superb story (in my view). Actually, JE is coming out on Steam in late Feb, so you can snag it from there if you have a high internet connection (and a credit card, of course).

Missing. Credit. Card. :( Too young...

Does Valve accept Debit cards and the like?

Missing. Credit. Card. :( Too young...

Does Valve accept Debit cards and the like?

You can still get it via store shelves. Not as quickly as the d/l obviously, but the option's there.

Mafia, Mafia ,Mafia!!

Why dont ppl mention mafia? Terrific story with one of the best ( and most tragic) endings ever!

Other than that HL series, Max payne series, GTA series etc etc.

No they don't.

My debit card works fine.

Maybe I would have appreciated Mafia's story more... if it I didn't stop playing 25% of the way through. I just wasn't having fun.

Back