Big ass robot a enemy?

Da Dude

Reaction score
You guys remeber that one big robot (Concept Art)
some of you thought it was dog or something but read this interview http://www.computerandvideogames.co...deogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=95556

When journalists first came over to see the game, there was a really good scene we were showing at the time where Gordon was being chased by a guy in a Mech suit. And the player decided to duck into this room and slammed the door.

Now, that wasn't a critical path for the player. There were multiple ways for the player to get out of that scene. And if you made that choice, then the Mech decided to put the camera in, trap you and bang the door down.

In the old way we would have forced you to go into that room, and the Mech would have knocked the door down every single time. So we're now able to open things up a bit and say: "If the player does this, then you can do that." And it becomes more AI than just a canned scripted sequence.

well maybe that "guy in a Mech suit" is that big ass robot

picture of what robot i mean:
http://www.planethalflife.com/screenshot.asp?src=/half-life2/screenshots/32.jpg

I see where you are comming from, just it says guy in a mech suit and i doubt anyone could fit into that, its a bit thin around the waist. well i suppose it is only concept art.
i would like to see this guy in a mech suit tho. oh and what does he mean by "put the camera in" break a nearby camera? or look around inside using a camera?

nah, theyre talking about the combine, i guess they figured the uniform was a mech suit

Originally posted by switch
I see where you are comming from, just it says guy in a mech suit and i doubt anyone could fit into that, its a bit thin around the waist. well i suppose it is only concept art.
i would like to see this guy in a mech suit tho. oh and what does he mean by "put the camera in" break a nearby camera? or look around inside using a camera?

yea so... what does it matter where i'm from....
I think maybe sliding a camera under the door maybe....

well a man can fit in it... i mean we don't know how big that thing is...

Originally posted by spookymooky
nah, theyre talking about the combine, i guess they figured the uniform was a mech suit
First of all, they are not talking about a combine soldier. Secondly, I am pretty damn sure that the concept art "Da Dude" referred to is not the "guy in a mech suit."

I'm quite sure that that part of the interview is referring to the traptown part of the E3 videos. A "mech suit" doesn't have to be huge...it could easily just be a framework and motors that make the combine soldiers stronger. I'm guessing that that's what gave the soldier in the video the power to kick down the door so easily.

EDIT: I'm thinking something like this. Only a lot cooler!

I don't think that's the mech suit mentioned. It could be a pilotable mech (that head could be a cockpit) but I don't think it's that big.

One more thing Valve has left for a surprise for us. Yes, sitting down to play will be an awesome NEW experience. Bahahahaha.

Originally posted by trantjd
I'm quite sure that that part of the interview is referring to the traptown part of the E3 videos. A "mech suit" doesn't have to be huge...it could easily just be a framework and motors that make the combine soldiers stronger. I'm guessing that that's what gave the soldier in the video the power to kick down the door so easily.
If you have read any of the early previews, then you would know that he was NOT referring to the traptown scene. He was talking about the scene that only the journalists saw, where a guy in a "mech suit" chased Gordon into a room and Gordon closed the door. The mech's hand breaks through a glass window and then it inserts a camera, before bashing the door down. This did not happen in the traptown video.

Originally posted by trantjd

EDIT: I'm thinking something like this

Only a lot cooler!

incase you miss my post in the other thread check out this pic. also if you read the mechs are "gargantuan" :dork:

Attachments

• text.jpg
    text.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 331
maybe the upper body and head is where the person goes in

Originally posted by CommieX
If you have read any of the early previews, then you would know that he was NOT referring to the traptown scene. He was talking about the scene that only the journalists saw, where a guy in a "mech suit" chased Gordon into a room and Gordon closed the door. The mech's hand breaks through a glass window and then it inserts a camera, before bashing the door down. This did not happen in the traptown video.

Hmmm, I had read those previews and I always just assumed that they were the same scene, just with slightly different AI results. The descriptions I remember reading were close enough to the traptown video that it made more sense than having two different scenes that were fairly similar.

I could be wrong of course, but we'll just have to wait and see!

Originally posted by spookymooky
isnt this just the seen in traptown?

Yes, it sure sounds like Traptown to me... strange, I never saw any 'mechs' in that one though...

must be a REAALLY skinny animal alien that fits into it if its a "mec suit".

i still think its dog.

It sounds like traptown just because Gordon is a pussy and likes to hide. Look at RoyGBiv's post.

Originally posted by RoyGBiv
incase you miss my post in the other thread check out this pic. also if you read the mechs are "gargantuan" :dork:

Cool! In that case I take it all back...The description of the scene that I had read wasn't that descriptive...

Sounds very cool!

Thanks for the linkage.

And on that note, I doubt that the concept art we've seen is the mech suit he's referring to, but that's just my gut instinct!

no its not. Its a level/enemy we have not seen yet. It was showed to magazines not us.

ever consider that some of the concept art could be enemies that were thrown out? in order to preserve secrecy of wat will actually make the final cut?

Originally posted by subs
must be a REAALLY skinny animal alien that fits into it if its a "mec suit".

i still think its dog.

That mech might be fsucking huge though.

I dunno how somebody (even a journalist) could confuse DOG for a guy in a mech suit. It's pretty obvious a human can't fit inside that thing.

Let's see... Gordon and his team of civilian rebels versus gargantuan bio-mechs?

Sounds like the strider video to me.
The hiding part must not have been released, or this is referring to a different video.

Yeah they're talking about the combine. I'm now starting to think they are some kind of mechs because Gabe called them mech commandos in early interview.

I think that these biomech garg things are NOT the traptown combine dudes.

My guess is that just as the strider and air ship are biomechanical hybrid thingies, so too is a two legged mecha thing they spoke of. I don't think anyone is piloting it. It would be cool if someone was, however.

They are most likely there to fufill the hl2 equivalent of the gargasaur

itsnot a strider vid, damnit. Its something we havnt' seen.

The mech-suit warrior is something we haven't seen. Of all the creatures we've seen none seem to don any sort of mechanical suit. Now, it can't be the Strider because:

1) Lombardi calls it a soldier in a mech-suit. The Strider monster is no secret, hell it's one of the many things that VALVe has boasted about. Thus, why would he not refer to it by it's known name?

2) Gordon is running through a hallway, ducks into a room shutting the door. The strider is too big. Now there can be smaller versions of it, but still, it's form makes it hard to imagine where the camera would be.

The mech suit probably looks like the thing Ripley uses at the end of Aliens when she throws the Queen out the airlock. Or it could look like the Heavy armor in Natural Selection.

But from what magazines seem to indicate this is something we haven't seen yet. After all, there are suppose to be far more enemies than Half-Life...

I think it's DOG, though of course it could be the 'mech-suit' referred to earlier...

i think its one of the stronger enemys, why should there be an explanation for it? :p

Back