Big-ass update released

Iron_cube

Reaction score
Team Fortress 2

Sudden Death mode is now a server option (a convar) and defaults to OFF

Sapped buildings now take slightly less damage from the Spy who sapped them

The Medic's Medigun now charges at an increased rate during Setup time, to remove the need for self-damage grinding

Fixed an rcon/console command that could cause server crashes

Prevented players from playing the "civilian" class

Prevented players from hiding their name in the scoreboard

Fixed exploit where the Medigun UberCharge wouldn't drain if you switched weapons

Fixed decals not being correctly applied to the world in some cases

Fixed critical bullet tracers not being visible to players other than the firer

Fixed first person spectator view of the Spy watch not showing the correct cloak value

Fixed the teleporter's player shaped particles not drawing

Fixed the flamethrower stuttering when firing directly into a building

Fixed a rare crash that can happen when a player being healed leaves the server suddenly

Fixed rocket trail effects sometimes existing permanently in world

Added effects to players when they earn an achievement, visible to other players nearby

Tweaked achievement HUD fonts and color palette for more readability

Improved stat gathering for map play times to increase accuracy

Improved stat gathering around draws to better understand why they're occurring

Fixed occasional misreporting of syringe gun & fireaxe damage distances to the stats system

Fixed an occasional crash caused by an achievement not being found during a game announcement

Dustbowl

Now waits until either team wins fully before changing to another map on server timelimit expiring

Teams now score a point per captured control point, rather than per sub round

Prevented Demomen being able to launch grenades into the stage three alleys while standing at the final cap point

Fixed gaps in stage gates that allowed snipers to kill defenders during setup

Fixed several model and brush perch exploits in stage three

Added stair access to the upper area in stage three after the first cap

Limited line-of-sight at the first control point in stage 3 to remove a griefable sniper spot

NUUUU MAH CIVIE!

Oh and :LOL: @ dustbowl gates being fixed

The main visible change on dustbowl:

cpdustbowl0004qi4.jpg

cpdustbowl0005jj0.jpg

This is another horrible update from Valve. I played in 7 servers and all of them had bad lag. They keep making this game worse! It would be nice if they actually fixed stuff that needed to be fixed.

I noticed my fps being not-so good anymore even on some commentary maps :hmph:

I wonder how the acheivement effect looks like

Hmmm, that looks... odd. I'll test out how actually fun to play it is later...

This is another horrible update from Valve. I played in 7 servers and all of them had bad lag. They keep making this game worse! It would be nice if they actually fixed stuff that needed to be fixed.

Yep has nothing to do with the network being flooded with servers updating does it? :rolleyes:

It would be nice if people like you quit bitching about Valve fixing something you wanted, and be happy they are even updating the game, jesus christ.

Yeah, I love it how Valve does these updates under the radar. Better than me having to go to a specific site and download a patch myself and have the installer crash.

Yeah, I love it how Valve does these updates under the radar. Better than me having to go to a specific site and download a patch myself and have the installer crash.

Very much so.

Yep has nothing to do with the network being flooded with servers updating does it? :rolleyes:

It would be nice if people like you quit bitching about Valve fixing something you wanted, and be happy they are even updating the game, jesus christ.

:LOL:

You lose.

Everything seems cool enough. Not sure how important this was though.

"The Medic's Medigun now charges at an increased rate during Setup time, to remove the need for self-damage grinding"

Everything seems cool enough. Not sure how important this was though.

"The Medic's Medigun now charges at an increased rate during Setup time, to remove the need for self-damage grinding"

Does seem odd, I haven't played with the update yet... but wouldn't this mean people will still do self-damage grinding to increase the rate further more?

Mathematically, the only time you'd ever need to be doing that is if more than half your team are Medics. And if more than half your team are Medics, then giving them all Ubercharges isn't going to keep your team from being retarded.

Does seem odd, I haven't played with the update yet... but wouldn't this mean people will still do self-damage grinding to increase the rate further more?

That's what I was wondering myself. I'm guessing the medguns heal at a flat rate during the setup period now.

Also, poo on them for removing the civilian. I know they did it because of stupid griefers, but it was always good for a chuckle.

That staircase looks like it could make pushing through that alleyway a little easier. Yay.

Good, we keep getting trapped there.

But it makes playing a defensive Spy that much harder... I enjoyed running along that walkway cloaked, uncloaking behind the team, and backstabbing everyone in succession. No more... ;(

The reason they changed it is so new players who don't know about self-harm increasing ubercharge rate can get uber in time for the gate opening at the same time as 'grinders'.

It probably does mean grinders can get uber quicker, but they'd have it when they leave the gates anyway.

There is one possible exploit for this, and that's for just a couple of Soldiers/Demos to grind up 4 or 5 medics to uber, since grinding to uber has supposedly been made quicker. Before this change it took roughly 25-30 seconds to 'grind' an uber. If this update has decreased that time, it menas you need less Soldier/Demos to do the grinding for the Medic. E.g. You could get two guys to go Soldier, grind up 4 medics to uber, change to Heavy and have 2 Heavies with 4 uber Medics in support when the gates open. The Defenders won't be able to do this since they can't swap classes instantly during setup as they aren't in their spawn.

Crispy, the healing is a flat rate, if I'm correct. That means you can't "grind", as the rate of uber charge would be the same.

Ah I see it's mastered to a set rate during setup. If this is true, does this mean no uber when the gates open?

Checked it earlier today, didn't change the game too much. There was definitely less grinding.

It's not game breaking, whiners.

It's funny how riled up people can get over somebody's opinion about a video game patch. Hence, you lose. :)

I didn't even realise you could play as a civilian.

its not a civilain from say hl2, its just a scout in the default pose, with no gun and slow movements, I think it HAD low health as well...

Civilian is the intended new game type class... Hunted.

I loved running around like a retard as a civie, and then type explode in the console just to amuse the crowds.

Spies can now disguise themselves as sentry guns, dispensers, and capture points!

The reason they changed it is so new players who don't know about self-harm increasing ubercharge rate can get uber in time for the gate opening at the same time as 'grinders'.

So we should get rid of rocket/pipe jumping and the gravelpit point B roof trick because new people don't know how to do those either? I don't think Valve really cares if new players get uber at the start of the game. It takes aproximately two seconds to tell someone over a mic or type out how to "grind" to get uber. I could care less either way about this particular change, I just don't see it as necessary.

So we should get rid of rocket/pipe jumping
No, as these are intended gameplay features.
and the gravelpit point B roof trick because new people don't know how to do those either?
Unlikely, since it doesn't give any major advantage (apart from against Spies). As you can see from the Dustbowl changes, the perch spots that gave a significant advantage have been removed.

Back