blaarrghh i cant decide between psp and ds

KidRock said:
No I dont feel stupid.. do you?
That's not what I said. Try reading it again.

I'm not going to get any futher in to this though.

JimmehH said:
That's not what I said. Try reading it again.

I'm not going to get any futher in to this though.

ok your a moron..

the PSP will have MGS..enough said.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
PSP will have a MGS Card Game

DS wins

How does DS win? oo becase it has PAPER MARIO or MARIO SUNSHINE! such amazing games

psp also has Twisted Metal. :naughty:

KidRock said:
How does DS win? oo becase it has PAPER MARIO or MARIO SUNSHINE! such amazing games

psp also has Twisted Metal. :naughty:
no it wins because of goldeneye, metroid, ff3, advance wars, mario kart, zelda, nfs underground, mario bros. better network support (downloading game demos from another ds or kiosk, etc, more innovative, not the same thing thats been done a thousand times just with better graphics. even graphics wont save an mgs card game though. this doesnt mention battery life, either.

if there was a paper mario or mario sunshine i wouldent buy it. ive given up the kiddy argument against the gc a long time ago, nintendo has excellent 3rd party support, youd honestly have to be stupid not to realize that.

i should point out though that im going to buy both of them, and hopefully in the year the psp has it can make some pretty radical improvements.

gh0st said:
no it wins because of goldeneye, metroid, ff3, advance wars, mario kart, zelda, nfs underground, mario bros. better network support (downloading game demos from another ds or kiosk, etc, more innovative, not the same thing thats been done a thousand times just with better graphics. even graphics wont save an mgs card game though. this doesnt mention battery life, either.

if there was a paper mario or mario sunshine i wouldent buy it. ive given up the kiddy argument against the gc a long time ago, nintendo has excellent 3rd party support, youd honestly have to be stupid not to realize that.

Only game on that list worth buying the DS for is goldeneye. the rest dont make the cut.

Wow, really KidRock do some searching before you attempt to bash the DS.

The PSP will caost about 150$ more than a PS2 probably with all the things they are trying to pack in. The battery life of 6-10 will be not even close to what the DS will probably have. And anyone who isn't going to buy a DS because they hate "kiddie" games, fine I have realized by now that there is nothing that I can say to persuade you.

Just because a game doesn't let you rape, murder,and then run over people doesnt mean the game sucks.

In fact, some of the best games i've ever played (besides HL) are rated E

KidRock said:
Only game on that list worth buying the DS for is goldeneye. the rest dont make the cut.
they are all better than "mojipottan", hot shots golf, bust a move pocket, and doko idemo issayo. or maybe some intelligent license. maybe ape escape academics, or derby time. or maybe ten no kagi, chi no mon.

there is NOTHING good announced for the psp yet.

Here's the thing: Do you really need a portable system? I for one hardly ever travel - I play handheld games because they provide a unique experience. How often do you see sidescrollers anymore?

I, then, will get the DS, because I am interested in an experience that I can't get from a console, not a dumbed down PS2.

If you travel a lot, or actually need a portable system, maybe you do want your dumbed down PS2 - maybe what you want is to take your console on the road. If so, get the PSP.

Narcolepsy said:
maybe what you want is to take your console on the road. If so, get the PSP.
its not really that great for taking on the roads because its battery life is likely so piss poor. theres been no announcement on it, but im willing to guess it wont be more than 3-4 hours. much less when viewing videos or whatever. youve got spinning discs, which automatically lower the battery cost a lot. hard to discount its good graphics though.

gh0st said:
its not really that great for taking on the roads because its battery life is likely so piss poor. theres been no announcement on it, but im willing to guess it wont be more than 3-4 hours. much less when viewing videos or whatever. youve got spinning discs, which automatically lower the battery cost a lot. hard to discount its good graphics though.
If they were smart it'd have rechargeable batteries like the DS. You could plug the charger into your car power outlet and charge on the go.

But you see what I'm saying, right?

KidRock said:

oh come on.

You seriously think Advance Wars and Mario Kart aren't suited to a handheld system?? (that's a rhetorical question btw - they are the two best titles for a mobile gaming system i've played)

That's basically what this all comes down to - it's not who makes the better games, it's who makes the better handheld games. Which, let's face it, is Nintendo.

Sony have always been more suited to the living room - their games all style and flashy cut scenes. Gameplay has never been their forte, though. The games that are excellent on the PS2 won't translate well onto a handheld. (as much as I love Ico, MGS etc etc - the thought of playing them on the move isn't that exciting)

Nintendo are the opposite - and the masters of simple, yet compulsive gameplay (which is exactly what a handheld needs)

gh0st said:

Quit being an idiot. There has been no announcement on the battery life at all yet you say it will have none..

I can easily say yeah the DS will have very little battery life to.

KidRock said:
Quit being an idiot. There has been no announcement on the battery life at all yet you say it will have none..

I can easily say yeah the DS will have very little battery life to.

Too bad that the battery life for the DS is the same quality of the SP.

Some reviews are stating the PSP battery life to be around 2-3 hours. Not much time to enjoy the mp3's and the movies.

As much as I like seeing Sony create competition for the handheld industry, until they create an experience that is completely different than a console and isn't hindered by battery life, I can't see the PSP being more than something to show off with.

ButtHoleMcGee said:
Too bad that the battery life for the DS is the same quality of the SP.

Some reviews are stating the PSP battery life to be around 2-3 hours. Not much time to enjoy the mp3's and the movies.

As much as I like seeing Sony create competition for the handheld industry, until they create an experience that is completely different than a console and isn't hindered by battery life, I can't see the PSP being more than something to show off with.
It depends on the game. Something like GTA (constant streaming from the disc and heavy system load) would kill the battery in about an hour and a half, but something like SNK vs Street Fighter might last up to 10 hours. That's why the battery simulation driver has been given to the developers. So they know approximately how long it will last between charges and which optimisations will work best on the machine.

It's a shame really. They the most powerful handheld console, but it would seem that they can't really use that power because of the batteries.

You should be able to play MP3s and audio files for ages though. Even longer if they're on a Memory Stick (which go up to 1GB now - maybe 2)

PSP all the way, Nintendos days of glory is over...

h00dlum said:
PSP all the way, Nintendos days of glory is over...
the gamecube was pretty poor, but theyve never been matched by any other console (Game gear, etc) in the handheld market. no reason to say they will lose this time. especially given the psp has all the signs of being another game gear (low battery life, good graphics). the psp has a lot going against it, especially when on the psp's official forums only 43% of the people will buy it.

gh0st said:
the gamecube was pretty poor, but theyve never been matched by any other console (Game gear, etc) in the handheld market. no reason to say they will lose this time. especially given the psp has all the signs of being another game gear (low battery life, good graphics). the psp has a lot going against it, especially when on the psp's official forums only 43% of the people will buy it.
Pretty poor? Do you even have a gamecube? F-zero? Viewtiful Joe? Zelda? These are pretty poor?

In Tech Standards, Xbox owns them all. Cuz Xbox is pretty much a pc, thus in conclusion Pc's rule everywhere. Even if you don't include the xbox as a "Pc", well there are Pc Consoles out there :).

In game standrads, ps2 has alot more games.

Overall - Pc's are faster, have more games..(obviously), and u can get an emulator and run most games from ps2,xbox, and gamecube. Legally(Just buy the disk and get an emulator, perfecty legal).

Thus pc's own. Thus there will be a pc handheld one day..

Narcolepsy said:
Pretty poor? Do you even have a gamecube? F-zero? Viewtiful Joe? Zelda? These are pretty poor?
i did, i returned it for an xbox.

Icarus said:
What are these? PSP? DS? What?
They are both handheld gaming devices.

The DS is from Nintendo. It stand for Dual Screen. The scheduled release date is 11/29/04. Price: $149.99. Linkage
The PSP is made by Sony. It stands for PlayStation Portable. The scheduled release date is sometime next year. Price: Unknown. Linkage

EDIT: Beaten to it. Dammit! :hmph:

Both handhelds seem interesting. I've seen some of the PSP games running and Metal Gear is beginning to impress me. I wasn't too keen on the idea of a card based Metal Gear game, but after seeing it in action it seems to play alot like some of my favourite pc games(Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance 2) i.e. turn based tactical combat games. I haven't seen any movies of the DS in action but I was pretty excited about it once they announced Advance Wars DS. Both consoles are getting the pro evo soccer series and viewtiful joe (I think) which is good news.

My main concern with the PSP, is that since it uses optical media, wouldn't it require some sort of anti-shock protection so that the disc doesn't skip when there's a jolt or it get's dropped? Wouldn't this use up more battery life?

I reckon I'll take a wait and see approach. See if some even better games get announced/ released for either handheld console. I hope they're both region free as well, as currently there's been no word on that yet.

KidRock said:
ok your a moron..

I really don't think there's much need to call people a moron... is there?

Yeah but I heard that the MGS version on the PsP is going to a card game. Not a real-time third/first person shooter

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
I would rather wipe my ass than play a MGS card game

I sure Hideo Kojima could make a truly cinematic experience out of even that.

The card game, I mean.

I would rather wipe my ass than play a MGS card game

A want to play a game.. not a movie...
and i want to play a game.. not a cardgame..

buying a PSP is like buying a portable PS2 with poor battery-life and simmalar games that come to PS2.. ( with lower resolution )

Back