Black Mesa Update News

The % thing is not something we really give much though to; it's very hard to determine where we are, particularly since we don't know what sort of problems will be thrown up when play testing later and other such things.

Creating the Nihilanth won't be anymore of a task than most of the other NPCs, I don't think the coding will be much more of a problem either (probably less complicated than some other things), but I'm not a coder so take that with a pinch of salt.

But my money would not be on it out before 2008.

Monday November 19th, 2008 would coincide with the 10 year anniversary of Half-Life's release. That would be what I'd shoot for as a possible release date of Black Mesa. Almost sounds too perfect.

Still feel though that the whole intro tram sequence was meant to be gloomy, because it sets the tone of menace rather than, say, "This is high-tech generic lab #21514123 and you're about to have a FANTASTIC day at work!"

Instead, you've got machines dripping sparks, gloomy, dull concrete rooms, and vats of misc. liquids. Mmmmm... atmospheric.

I think what you got it all wrong. Black Mesa is supposed to be a high-tech facility. I can't see any reason why such facility should have "machines dripping sparks, gloomy, dull concrete rooms". And you really think "you're about to have a FANTASTIC day at work!" Why not? A black cat crossed your way? As far as I remember, in HL1 things went wrong out of sudden. Until then, everything went well in perfect high-tech facility Black Mesa ....

The new tram sequence is growing on me...like fruit fly larvae D:

Black Mesa wasn't a high-tech facility though. It was old, sprawling, and had lots of run-down areas and equipment.

Black Mesa wasn't a high-tech facility though. It was old, sprawling, and had lots of run-down areas and equipment.
No, it was a cutting edge facility built on an old, run-down ICBM Silo.

I'd imagine the commonly used areas (like near the surface, during tram ride) would be new and shiny.

It's done using the blocklight texture.

This interests me - do you build brushes out of the blocklight texture, mimicking the shape of the shadow? i.e. making a brush grate?

Back