Blizzard Seeking RTS Designers

Nah, if I'm using guns 'n shit, I'd like a the gameplay to be a bit more immediate. RPG works for WarCraft, but not StarCraft IMO.

They could always do a weird hybrid of RPG/FPS. Like...an in-depth stats-based MMOFPS with quests and PvP.

*drool*

Now what would really own, is starcraft-style units with Total Annihlation gameplay.

Indeed! TA and Sacrifice remain to be some of my favorite RTS games simply because they are less about stressful twitch build orders and more about hard, cold gameplay. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the micro-heavy RTS design is being pretty much epitomized by games like Rise of Nations and Dawn of War. We do not need another one. If Blizzard is smart Starcraft II won't play at all like its competitors.

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the micro-heavy RTS design is being pretty much epitomized by games like Rise of Nations and Dawn of War. We do not need another one. If Blizzard is smart Starcraft II won't play at all like its competitors.Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the micro-heavy RTS design is being pretty much epitomized by games like Rise of Nations and Dawn of War. We do not need another one. If Blizzard is smart Starcraft II won't play at all like its competitors.Anyway, as far as I'm concerned the micro-heavy RTS design is being pretty much epitomized by games like Rise of Nations and Dawn of War. We do not need another one. If Blizzard is smart Starcraft II won't play at all like its competitors.
Starcraft uses all this as gameplay. From building units as quick as you can, to knowing what units to build, to using them tactically on the battlefield. Units die very quick, and if you can properly use them so they don't die quick...well thats a busy process. The game always keeps you thinking and never bored. Thats something very nice about Starcraft. Your never bored. Your always doing something from start to finish. The start game is very quick aswell getting you right into building combat units and scouting. I mean in Starcraft, besides money maps(ftl), you don't often have time to simply sit their and watch the battle..until maybe the very end.

I'm sure Starcraft 2 will stick to Starcrafts gameplay. Keeping the player always on his feet. Allowing the tide of a battle to be turned by one single unit yet turned again with a good instant thought strategy. Two resources for simplisity. Very well balanced yet completely different races(Starcraft has the most diverse races of any RTS). Keeping your mouse always clicking and doing something and keeping you on the edge giving you that rush feeling that finally blows when you know you've won. Keeping the gameplay fast.

The main thing with games like RoN is not only diversity but there are a bunch of resources and caps that slow the gameplay down. Buildings start costing more(slow gameplay down near mid\end-game). The maps are random and thus you can't go into a game having a very well thought out strategy. Units could die quicker and build faster. Much more balance, none of that hmm.. we'll just throw in 3 infantry instead of 1! Then there is tech upgrading and such to manage. Basically the amount you have to manage vs speed of gameplay dosn't stay at a good level from the start to the end game.

Starcraft stays simple, keeps you busy, keeps you on the edge, and forces you to have a strategy and tactics with buildings and units. Easy to get into, impossible to master. Then there is the diversity of the races. I mean they are completely different. This is something that I enjoy beyond just about anything else in Starcraft. In terms of how you actually create buildings, building placement, building defences, building units, the units themselves. All 3 races are just completely different in almost every way. Then there is the story. Starcraft has one amazing story. A VERY AMAZING STORY.

Nothing you just described is at all unique to Starcraft. In fact, you could just as easily make the same post in a Warcraft topic. That style of gameplay has, every few years, recieved technological improvements but has in its essence remained the same since a very long time ago. And, just recently, we have seen some incredibely good revisions of it, namely Warcraft III and Dawn of War. Why, then, would you want Starcraft II to continue in that linear, unimaginative vein when we have so many other companies and series that will do so just as well.

I suppose Blizzard could easily just release Warcraft III again and call it Starcraft II and milk the cash cow pretty well. I, however, would not be satisfied, and after the next big RTS game came out Starcraft II would be obselete software.

PS: Know that I don't dislike that style of gameplay. My top played game as of late has been Dawn of War and back about a year ago you couldn't tear me away from Warcraft III. I understand why micro oriented gameplay is so endearing, but I also understand that it is simply being done by too many companies. Dawn of War is absolutely fantastic and looks like it will have two expansions which rival any expansion produced by Blizzard (One already out which added a faction and units and another on the way which will add TWO new factions). That in mind, I don't really see a place for a classical RTS Starcraft game.

Even though im not a big fan of starcraft, it would be nice seeing a StarCraft with awesome graphics and such.

However, when they are finished with this new RTS title, Diablo3 gotta be next.

Nothing you just described is at all unique to Starcraft. In fact, you could just as easily make the same post in a Warcraft topic.
Warcraft has a VERY different gamepaly style to Starcraft dude. I suggest you go play them again. Infact many Starcraft fans hate Warcraft 3 because they have gotton so use to Starcrafts it is hard to adjust to the much slower gameplay of Warcraft 3.

Warcraft 3 is very much more micro focused and a lot less macro focused. Defenses are worth a lot less in Warcraft aswell. Units take forever to build, forever to die in comparision to Starcraft. Gathering Resources is very different when compared to Starcraft. In Starcraft you run out reasonably quick and you need to expand and also expand your entire base. In Wc3? Well Starcraft has no equal of trees really. Also in Wc3 you do not really expand your entire base because to new locations. It simply takes to much time and money. How about races? Starcrafts gameplay revolves around its races. Playing Terran is very different than playing Zerg. Also one of the biggest seperators of Gameplay evolve from how each individual unit changes the game.

The Delfire for instance. Plague? Dark Swarm? Using one of these effectively you can take out the best defenses easily.

The High Templars? Hallucination and Storm. Yeah very nice on the battlefield.

The Ghost? Lets call down a nuke or how about lockdown those tanks for an easier break in there defenses, and hey lets be cloaked while were at it?

Corsair? Distruption Web. Hey look they got some nice defenses...lets render there auto acquiring capabillities useless.

Carrier? Yeah you gotta micro to take these out else your units will wind up just attacking intercepters.

Wraith? Loaded and Cloaked. Lets take out there Carriers or Battlecruisers.

Arbiter? Cloaking Field Ready. Get one of these bad boys into someones base... watch an army come in and destroy there resources. Lets just freeze all these units and secure the area to kill them when there released.

Nydus Canal? Easily send troops from one zerg base to another, or..into an enemy zerg base?

Queen? Parasite.. Hmm.. why not see a little more into their base. Spawn Broodling? Great way to take out tanks and distract men. Ensare? Slow em down, take em out! Infest that CC, lets get some bombs.

Dark Archon? Lets persuade that SCV or Drone on our side...or how about that Battlecruiser? Lets "pause" those units over there.. so we can kill them. Or how about killing that high templar with feedback?

Medic! Lets heal our troops, cure those parasites, and pwn there vision.

Devourer! Use a few these to build up damage increasers on the big enemy units, send in the Mutas for some increased damage baby.

Siege Tank! Locked and Loaded. Throw in some bunkers and you can hold out pretty damn good.

Science Vessel? Eradicate the Zerg? Lower those Protoss Shields and lets bump our mens defense up.

Dark Templar? Sneak them into a base, watch them pwn before the enemy realizes it.

Lurkers.... Oh yeah.

Burrow? Get the enemy to follow you..then unburrow up 20 - 30 zerglings and pwn them.

All these units and abilites, and more, are what define and make Starcraft what it is. They each change the gameplay radically. While yes Starcraft is a bunch of point and clicks there is so much more when it comes down to the gameplay. Many RTS's can simulate the point and clicks of Starcraft, however Extremely Few RTS's can touch the races and what each individual unit means. Even those that do like Warcraft still play very different because the Races are still very different from Starcraft and each individual unit has no comparision in Starcraft.

I mean you see gameplay as point and clicking. I see gameplay as the point\clicking and what actually happens in the game. I havn't played a game that plays similar to the Zerg. Hell Starcraft has 3 types of gameplays in the Melee&TvB. Zerg, Protoss, and Terran. They play very different. Each of the races units change the gameplay radically in there own way.

Why, then, would you want Starcraft II to continue in that linear, unimaginative vein when we have so many other companies and series that will do so just as well.
I'm sorry what do you want Starcraft to have? What? A huge map, a base you build in about a minute..building 500 units and clicking them all to one point and watch a battle?

Yes, I acknowledge that Starcraft has minor differences from other games in the genre that fans of it will inevitably see as huge. I acknowledge that the original Starcraft was a great game, way ahead of its time. I have indeed played it before. Actually, I've played Starcraft religiously and I can't help but point out that listing strategies like what you are doing could be done for any game in the genre. I could do it right now for Dawn of War but that wouldn't really get us anywhere.

As I have said over and over again; I think that Starcraft should depart from the genre as we know it. What you see as a huge difference in gameplay between Starcraft and its competitors by you is not percieved that way by everyone. You want a graphical enhancement on an 8 year old game that you are content with. Great. Unfortunately I do not. I want to see a major step foward in the genre. Case closed.

I'm sorry what do you want Starcraft to have? What? A huge map, a base you build in about a minute..building 500 units and clicking them all to one point and watch a battle?

No, and I'm not sure where you got that impression from. I want Starcraft II to have gameplay that we haven't seen before, as crazy as that may sound.

Yes, I acknowledge that Starcraft has minor differences from other games
Except your are confusing the words Minor and Major. All those things are very major elements and make Starcraft what it is. They define its gameplay. With different units Starcraft would play very differently..

strategies like what you are doing could be done for any game in the genre.
Yes but not your mixing things up. Of course they define its gameplay but they define it differently than how Starcraft Units define Starcraft.

You want a graphical enhancement on an 8 year old game that you are content with.
Where have I said that? No I havn't said that, do not put words into my mouth. I said I want it to be similar to Starcraft. I do not want a completely new game, that should be for a new franchise.
I want a game that at the base has Starcrafts Formula, but beyond the base new concepts, features, and ideas are added into it. I want a game with new concepts, features, and ideas that I never thought about. However I don't want a game that is completely different than Starcraft's gameplay in almost every way.

ZOMGOMZOGMOZJGOIZHOAISHFOIAUH!!

AHGAHAH!!
S!F!T!
S

STAR

STARCRAFT 2!?!??!?!?????!?!??!?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!??!?!?!!?!?!?

AHHHHHGLOOOGOOAAAHHHH!!!

ABMMMUUU!!!HHHA~!!!~@)REI

BlooP@!

I pretty much agree with Leviticus. Starcraft is no longer something special, except as a nostalgia factor for me. However, it was a huge deal when it came out, easily the best RTS to that day (and for years afterwards). I'd like Starcraft 2 to be equally amazing and groundbreakingly awesome. A graphical update with identical gameplay would be nice... as Starcraft 1.5 or something.

I pretty much agree with Leviticus. Starcraft is no longer something special, except as a nostalgia factor for me. However, it was a huge deal when it came out, easily the best RTS to that day (and for years afterwards). I'd like Starcraft 2 to be equally amazing and groundbreakingly awesome. A graphical update with identical gameplay would be nice... as Starcraft 1.5 or something.

I have a feeling that's why they havn't made StarCraft 2 yet. They don't think they are going to make a game that can match and even beat everyones expectations. Everybody expects a game to be as mind blowng, ground breaking, and completely BAD ASS as a game that came out when StarCraft first did. They might not be able to perform to that ability, so instead of being bombed, they just hold tight till they can. I am not complaining about that. Think of HL2 comming out 1 year earlier, and being crap. D:

A graphical update with identical gameplay would be nice... as Starcraft 1.5 or something.

I think that is what this mod team wants to achieve, but I have no idea if they will release any time soon. I think it's pretty impressive how they've made Warcraft 3 look pretty much exactly like Starcraft, a game that used sprites and was released in 1998 or something. You could also see that as a bad thing ;p however I think it's pretty damn cool and I'd love to be able to move the camera about more in Starcraft

Hopefully this will come out before Starcraft 2/not get shut down. They're being pretty careful so lets hope :).

http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/gallery.php?act=gal&id=4

http://www.blizzplanet.com/content/560/

Hopefully this will come out before Starcraft 2/not get shut down. They're being pretty careful so lets hope
It wont. Blizzard dosn't mind cross-game mods for their games. Because... it can't really hurt them. If anything a few Sc players might buy Wc3 for this.. and well in order to play it you need Starcraft. So that means a few Wc3 players might buy Starcraft to play it.

Either way Blizzard isn't loosing anything. And they arn't calling it Starcraft 2. There was a mod team that was making Starcraft 2: Vengance of the Xel'Naga however Blizzard shut it down because it was for C&C Generals and it used Starcraft in its name.

yep, that wc3 mod team that's remaking starcraft is in the clear, i think they might even have official word from blizzard on it

pfft in an epic Battle of Starcraft vs Warcraft we all know Starcraft would own.

Nothing can beat the Protoss.

Back