Blue Shift Released on Steam

Sui

Tank
Reaction score
Barney Calhoun is now VALVe's personal security guard- because Blue Shift has finally blasted its way onto Steam. [br]If you were never able to grab a copy when it was first released, I'm sure you'll be delighted to find that Blue Shift is now a completely free download if you own the original Half-Life. [br]

[br]To slip into the uniform and start your shift, simply log onto steam and download the Blue Shift content. You can also find the official VALVe news post here.

This is awesome ^_^
I'll prolly give it another run through today/tomorrow
They shoulda done this a while ago

how is it any different if it was posted in a different forum? its about the same thing

It's different because it can be seen on the front page, and unlike that particular thread, the front page gets about 30,000 unique hits every day or something equally ridiculous.

hmm, steampowered members report: No HD Pack
Orange rather than Blue HUD
Orange rather than Blue Icon in Steam (OH THE HUMANITY!)

I report: couldn't care less.

StardogChampion said:
Does is have ragdolls? Or is it just a straight re-release?

Its not Blue-Shift: Source. I doubt they ever will release BS:S same with OF:S, and I'm quite glad, didn't really like HL:S.

hmm... i quickly played up to the lift in which the disaster happened... and the scientist I was with randomly dropped dead and I got the Black Screen of death ("improper use of firearm in the facility")

\o/ <- he thinks it was worth the wait.

How big's the download? And how long is Blue-Shift actually? Hmmm, maybe I'm going to actually wipe the dust off my HL1 box and install it again.

kupoartist said:
hmm... i quickly played up to the lift in which the disaster happened... and the scientist I was with randomly dropped dead and I got the Black Screen of death ("improper use of firearm in the facility")

If I remember correctly, didn't he die because of the panel exploding? Either way, I love the lift sequence :p

HL:BS was about 680mb or so according to the Steam Preloader. 5-10 hours of gameplay I think (10h if youre like 7 years old). Been a long time since I played it.

DiSTuRbEd said:
No one ever said they were going to release BS:S.....
I assumed that's what it was. Oh well. I can't get it anyway. It doesn't seem to be available to lowly, DVD bog standard reatil pack owners such as myself .......... Neither does HL Source for that matter! I seem to recall the option t obuy it resided in the 'play games' list. It's not there now though. Not that I'd buy it! I'm pinning my hopes on Black Mesa Source :cheers:

I'd enjoy it with ragdolls and new lighting.. but I'll have to wait for that.

Also, OP4 Source would be cool too!

dogboy73 said:
I assumed that's what it was. Oh well. I can't get it anyway. It doesn't seem to be available to lowly, DVD bog standard reatil pack owners such as myself ...

It's avaliable to anyone who owns Half-Life.

*Edit* I got to the canal... but now Blue Shift crashes whenever I try and load a game. -_- woo.

yeah, the game is quite buggy at times, I already had to rely on autosaves twice, as my quicksaves only caused the game to crash, but playing it brings back old memories.

PS: Does anybody else notice that it's a lot harder on hard, or is it just me being a lot better 5 years ago.

It is a lot tougher on Hard Mode, I'm sure of it :/

Are the two shots you've bundled with the news post actually from BS, as I don't remember them =]

Nice, been waiting for this for a while now. I wish they said straight up why it wasn't on steam in the first place, instead of those rumors of "new stuff added to the engine" and excuses such as those.

Also, what's up with the background image on the start up screen. It's really ugly. A colorful screen of the Barney box cover would be sweet (like half-life has gordon).

Other than that, plays great.

Buveed said:
Nice, been waiting for this for a while now. I wish they said straight up why it wasn't on steam in the first place, instead of those rumors of "new stuff added to the engine" and excuses such as those.

Those aren't excuses, it was the truth, they were working HL2, DoD:S, TF2 at the time. BS isn't the main importance for them seeing people could play it still.

free? yay!?
Yay for those cheap lamers that wouldn't buy it when it came out.
I already got the retail versions of all the expansions and gunman chronicles.
How about giving us hl source for free instead, since it's coming out with GOTY edition of hl2 anyway. :mad:

blah!

kupoartist said:

Same thing happend to me.

I started playing it... other than than having no HD pack and an orange hud and icon it has possibly the ugliest interface skin ever. I know all Steam versions of HL1 games have ugly menus but Blue Shift's tops them all off, it looks like something out of a Windows 95 installation exe and it doesn't even say Blue Shift just Half-Life.

But I'm glad they finally put it on Steam, even though the point of it's release I was hoping for was a high definition pack to update all my HL1 games. But sadly I might as well stick with my CD version.

DoctorWeeTodd said:
I started playing it... other than than having no HD pack and an orange hud and icon it has possibly the ugliest interface skin ever. I know all Steam versions of HL1 games have ugly menus but Blue Shift's tops them all off, it looks like something out of a Windows 95 installation exe and it doesn't even say Blue Shift just Half-Life.

But I'm glad they finally put it on Steam, even though the point of it's release I was hoping for was a high definition pack to update all my HL1 games. But sadly I might as well stick with my CD version.

You didn't see this post did you...

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=3330259#post3330259

DiSTuRbEd said:
Those aren't excuses, it was the truth, they were working HL2, DoD:S, TF2 at the time. BS isn't the main importance for them seeing people could play it still.

I doubt that. It's been said on the steam forums over and over for a couple of years that it couldn't be added because of major changes involving the half-life engine in which Blue shift utilized, and even to the point of people saying that for it to be in steam, gearbox would have to add it themselves. That's what was getting at.

A more reasonable answer to why blue shift would involve vivendi/valve relationship. Since Valve won the lawsuit against vivendi, Vivendi don't have the rights to distribute Blue shift, and thus won't be making any money off of it. Before this, blue shift was still selling in the stores, and Valve's intention was to release it for free, instead of forcing people to pay for it. They had to wait for a time that no more money was being made off the blue shift before they could release it on steam.

EA's distribution of Valve's games begins at the end of this month, which will end Vivendi's era of distributing Valve's games.

Back