Blue Shift Released on Steam

I'm getting ready to re-play through it. I can't wait :D

And I don't care as to why it took so long..it's here now YAY!

PS I actually like BS :(

Just finished it, was a bit short but sweet :p
Tad generic at times, some boring level design and lots of reuse of levels. On the plus side you got to see gordon and gman, you got to kill stuff, fiddle with nice puzzles and there was no black ops dudes, yay!. No mid game boss fight :(

kupoartist said:
\o/ <- he thinks it was worth the wait.

Did you even know it was coming out until a couple of weeks ago?

dogboy73 said:
What a ****ing waste of time!!

How is it a waste of time exactly? You're an ungrateful bunch of bastards...

GonzoBabbleshit said:
How is it a waste of time exactly? You're an ungrateful bunch of bastards...

That chap assumed it was going to be Blue Shift: Source, which clearly it isn't. And therefore we have his moans and groans.

Samon said:
If I remember correctly, didn't he die because of the panel exploding? Either way, I love the lift sequence :p
No, it's a show stopper. The black "you've killed an ally you bastard!" screen pops up and dumps me back to the last quicksave. For some reason, i too was losing health off of the lift floors. I'm waiting until the rest of Half-Life 1 downloads to see if that makes it any more stable.

kupoartist said:
No, it's a show stopper. The black "you've killed an ally you bastard!" screen pops up and dumps me back to the last quicksave. For some reason, i too was losing health off of the lift floors. I'm waiting until the rest of Half-Life 1 downloads to see if that makes it any more stable.

Umm wierdness.

I could've swore that M4/M16 thing that soldier is carrying in that screen was added with the HD pack. The original soldiers had MP5's.

Yey! Hopefully this should distract me until we get the new counter in and I can eat again.

JiMmEh said:
I could've swore that M4/M16 thing that soldier is carrying in that screen was added with the HD pack. The original soldiers had MP5's.
Yeah, the news guys just lazily added archive screenshots from the non-steam version. Not also how both shots aren't even from Blue Shift: they're just showing off HD content in the original HL. Whoops!

Samon said:
Umm wierdness.
NPCs don't seem to be reacting too well to movers at all in my version, resulting in one or two really funny bugs.

Caption Competition Anyone?

kupoartist said:
Yeah, the news guys just lazily added archive screenshots from the non-steam version. Not also how both shots aren't even from Blue Shift: they're just showing off HD content in the original HL. Whoops!

Hey, it's not my fault every screenshot I could find had "Gamespot" in the bottom right corner! And in the end, these are on the official Blueshift website, so don't blame me- blame Sierra! :p

kupoartist said:

"Shit, where's my tram gone...?"

I think those screens are there from Half-life to show the HD on the other games.

StardogChampion said:
Now you all realise how HL2's intro sequence sucked balls compared to tram rides.
Actually, I'd say the teleporter malfunction is Half-Life 2's "tram ride". It may not have come at the very beginning of the game, but it was just as effective.

Naaa, Op4 had the best intro ever. Quick, funny, you get to know the situation and where you are, and the crap hits the fan quickly.

.... and I'm confused here. Do you need the original HL installed to play this?

The_Monkey said:
Does that include HL1: DM and OpFor: DM?

Probably so, if the HD weapons go into HL1 folder, OP4 and HLDM will mostly recieve them aswell. :)

dogboy73 said:
Is it? Not according to this;

http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=436

Iny any case, I can't see it anywhere.

But that news post says it's avaliable to Premier Pack owners and Half-Life 2 Gold / Silver owners. I have neither of these three packs... so how come I was playing it yesterday?

It might come with Half-Life 2 Bronze as well (which is what I have), dispite VALVe not mentioning this in their news post. I wouldn't mind if someone could confirm this for me. Does anyone here own the original Half-Life (NOT the premier pack) and does not own Half-Life 2? If so, is Blue Shift avaliable to you or not?

I'll update the news post if I'm wrong.

What about those with the Collector's Edition of Half-Life 2?

Suicide42 said:
But that news post says it's avaliable to Premier Pack owners and Half-Life 2 Gold / Silver owners. I have neither of these three packs... so how come I was playing it yesterday?

It might come with Half-Life 2 Bronze as well (which is what I have), dispite VALVe not mentioning this in their news post. I wouldn't mind if someone could confirm this for me. Does anyone here own the original Half-Life (NOT the premier pack) and does not own Half-Life 2? If so, is Blue Shift avaliable to you or not?

I too have the bronze version. I hope I don't get banned for valve's incompetence.

Ok i am confused, where do i get the HD pack? I dowloaded Blue Shift, and i have the same old HL weapons. Thinking that it was a dowload, i went and tried to get it for the past hour.

How do i get the HD pack?

Suicide42 said:

Anyone who has the original, quake engine version of Half-Life is also entitled to Half-Life: Blue Shift on their steam account.

If you do not have the original Half-Life on your Steam account, you need to buy the premier pack or register a retail copy of Half-life 1 with Steam. I hear that Opposing Force and Blue Shift CD keys get you the HL bundle (HL, Op4, BS, CS, DOD, Ricochet, TFC) as well.

It's that simple. Bronze HL2 bundle does not entitle you to HL1. Why? Because no Quake Engine version games are bundled with HL2 Bronze, they're all on Source. As BS requires HL to be installed (I had to download both to play the one), Bronze won't get you BS.

Some cool bits, definetly.. but you never come in contact with Freeman.

I understand that it's a gameplay decision, but uhh... how does Barney know Freeman well in HL2?

Exodin said:
Some cool bits, definetly.. but you never come in contact with Freeman.

You see him at the very start when you're locked out of the door, he goes by in the tram. Then you can see him walking to the test chamber through a security camera. I'm sure there's more, but that's what I saw when I was playing today.... Unless you mean you never fight along side freeman. In which case, of course not. But you do come withing spitting distance.

well who is there 100 guards all called barney?

Apparently Valvue never intended Barney to be a majot character. They didn't intend people to associate the guards as being barney but rather each as an individual. I think the whole idea of "Barney" probably became a bigger factor after they gave him a name in blue shft and they then worked him into the universe. It certainly isn't consistant but you get that.

I did find this pack a bit borring, no new badies no new anything. Op4 is so much better and I found it odd they would release this after Op4 with such a lack of new content. Ahh well, nice it's free, I bought the platinum pack last year just for this having already owned HL1.

Yeah, Opposing fore is by far better, because of the mass amount of new guns and new monsters and all that good stuff. But I'm glad there is blue shift, just so you can see the whole story from another perspective....

If only there was a game where you played as a black opp.

just a note, when you buy the pemiere pack from the store, HL, CS, and BS all get keys for steam... so you get 3 in all. OP4 does not.

Smigit said:
Need a game where you play as Dr Kleiner.
Yeah. It would be completely puzzle based & you'd have to set-up experiments & solve problems in order to progress. Throughout the game you would interact with help other characters from the the game. That could be quite good actually. Make a change from the usuual blasting action but you could still have some shooting sections only with some new, experimental, glue-on gun style weapon.

This whole Blue shift Steam distribution thing is a complete f**k-up that's as confusing as the plethora of globablly available HL2 packs - Steam download, CD, DVD, Gold, platinum, silver, Collectors Edition!! WTF!! How many packages do we need?

It seems that a lot of people don't understand how the whole Blue Shift thing works either. I initially thought it was a Source update which I soon found out wasn't ever going to be the case. I then thought it would be made available via Steam in the 'play games' list, to the people owning the right 'package', as a standalone playable game. Now I'm getting the impression that you need HL1 installed anyway in order to be able to play this as it's obviously a mod/add-on for HL1. If that's the case then I might as well go out & buy one of the HL1 bundles & get HL1, Opp Force & Blue Shit for a fiver!

heh, well on me 56k, for the past week and a half, it was updating hl2, for like 1500 mins it said. i had backed up my game files and reinstalled them properly so i thought this was screwed up. last night i estarted steam, and under my games, i have hl, dod, bs, of, richocet, and bout everything but hlsource. Ive got the bronze package.

over my 56k, I clicked hl2, and it downloaded it in an hour. now thats practically impossible as its over 400 mb, so i assume all week, my steam wasn't downloading hl2 at all.

steam is really screwed up, but hey, i now have all these new games i didn;t have to pay for or upgrade for, hell i never even bought hl2 ;)

Back