Blue Shift Released on Steam

dogboy73 said:
If that's the case then I might as well go out & buy one of the HL1 bundles & get HL1, Opp Force & Blue Shit for a fiver!
You don't need one of the bundles, you only need HL1 standalone. Once you register that key with Steam, you'll get Blue Shift and Opposing Force. No sense in buying one of the retail bundles: you just pay extra for what is free once you install steam.

Yaaay!

Absolutely loved it! All them dark rooms, where you need flashlights (I can't put much brightness on my flatscreen, so i'm forced to) really made me shiver - even did it better than doom 3 for me, works good that the flashlight decides to be empty in the middle of a vent system crawling with head hoppers :S

And i like the levels - also that there isn't endless amounts of grunts and aliens, and a limit on ammo. (Spend 15 minutes without ammo midgame, so had to bash them slaves head in with my crowbar) The levels with grunts we're spread apart, and gave me good reason to scream "Want me to give you hell? I'LL GIVE YOU HELL" spamming grenades and shotgun fire like crazy :p

... I'm just abit going "wee" right now :p Too short though :\ Had so much fun, that i didn't really wanted to go to the surface... Nothing to shoot up there :(

Yay for making it pointless me buying Half Life Generation!

Secret_Machine said:
Yay for making it pointless me buying Half Life Generation!
Hey, it's even worse for those of us who brought the Expansions seperately at release :p I'm not too bothered though: The concept alone of the Expansions is something that I want as many people as possible to experience. That way Valve can get the hint that we want something similar for HL2.

Surrogate said:
And i like the levels - also that there isn't endless amounts of grunts and aliens, and a limit on ammo.(
What I like about Blue Shift's levels is how they disguise the HL brand linearity quite well. You revisit areas, one or two several times. It's clever from a development point of view because you get the most of your level design. That said, the levels immediatly Post RC are really dull. Storage Warehouses and Sewers are an FPS staple, but its time we stopped visiting them.

Unfocused said:
I had one account bound to the cd-key that I used to play CS 1.6 (from my Half-Life package). When HL2 came out I made another account for it. So can I now "register a product I already own", write in the old cd-key and be able to download Blue Shift?

It's t3h Hydra!
You need to retrieve that old account to play BS. You can only have a cd-key on one account.

kupoartist said:
You don't need one of the bundles, you only need HL1 standalone. Once you register that key with Steam, you'll get Blue Shift and Opposing Force. No sense in buying one of the retail bundles: you just pay extra for what is free once you install steam.
Cool. So if I install my original copy of Half Life 1 it will register with Steam, Appear in my play games list & then I'd also get the options to download Opposing force & Blue Shift for free? Well, If you put it like that it's not bad at all!! (Can someone please just confirm this is the case before I re-install HL1? ;) )

dogboy73 said:
Cool. So if I install my original copy of Half Life 1 it will register with Steam, Appear in my play games list & then I'd also get the options to download Opposing force & Blue Shift for free? Well, If you put it like that it's not bad at all!! (Can someone please just confirm this is the case before I re-install HL1? ;) )
Yes, but not quite in that order :D

Under steam's "Play Games" list, double click on one of the games on your "Coming Soon" list, click the "Register a product I already own" button in the bottom left and follow the instructions onscreen (ie. enter you HL1 CD Key.) The HL1 files have changed so much since they were manufactured that you have to download the game before you play, so it's pointless installing your old version.

kupoartist said:
Yes, but not quite in that order :D

Under steam's "Play Games" list, double click on one of the games on your "Coming Soon" list, click the "Register a product I already own" button in the bottom left and follow the instructions onscreen (ie. enter you HL1 CD Key.) The HL1 files have changed so much since they were manufactured that you have to download the game before you play, so it's pointless installing your old version.
Okay. So I can get to the same page by right clicking Steam in the system tray & selecting 'Browse games' & then clicking 'Register a product I already own'. Then I enter my HL1 CD key? Is that right?! Then I'll be able to download HL1, Opposing Force & Blue Shift?

polyguns said:
heh, well on me 56k, for the past week and a half, it was updating hl2, for like 1500 mins it said. i had backed up my game files and reinstalled them properly so i thought this was screwed up. last night i estarted steam, and under my games, i have hl, dod, bs, of, richocet, and bout everything but hlsource. Ive got the bronze package.

over my 56k, I clicked hl2, and it downloaded it in an hour. now thats practically impossible as its over 400 mb, so i assume all week, my steam wasn't downloading hl2 at all.

steam is really screwed up, but hey, i now have all these new games i didn;t have to pay for or upgrade for, hell i never even bought hl2 ;)

You cannot get HL Source with the Bronze package.

I just tried registering my original HL CD key & it came up as invalid/already in use. So because some crack version user might have happened upon my CD key for HL1 with a random crack CD key generator I loose out? That's cool! The paying punter looses out again!! This is what I found on Steam support;

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi...3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MQ**&p_li=&p_topview=1

So I can get my CD key reset but I have to send back the original jewel CD case with the key on it & pay 10$ for the privelage! That's pony! It would be easier to just go out & buy HL again but that way there's no guarantee that I won't have the same problem as I've had with my copy of HL1! someone could have already used that CD key created randomly on a CD-key generator!! Erm. What now then?

dogboy73 said:
So I can get my CD key reset but I have to send back the original jewel CD case with the key on it & pay 10$ for the privelage! That's pony! It would be easier to just go out & buy HL again but that way there's no guarantee that I won't have the same problem as I've had with my copy of HL1! someone could have already used that CD key created randomly on a CD-key generator!! Erm. What now then?
Be sure that you entered it right or that you haven't entered it on another account and forgot about it. Also, you never leant the game out to somebody you know who may have used it, right? At least then you'd know directly who to punch in the face :/

(if you have a BS or OP4 CD, try that key too)

I thought blue shift came with the HD weapon pack....I've still got the older weapons :(

kupoartist said:
Be sure that you entered it right or that you haven't entered it on another account and forgot about it. Also, you never leant the game out to somebody you know who may have used it, right? At least then you'd know directly who to punch in the face :/

(if you have a BS or OP4 CD, try that key too)
I've got a feeling I may have registered HL1 on an old account when Steam first came out. Back then it was a bloody nightmare. Especially on dial-up. After going to Steam playing CS 1.6 & TFC on dial-up got so bad in the end I un-installed it & everything relating to HL. That old Steam account is long forgotten! If I did register my CD-key is with that old account. If I didn't then I guess my CD-Key has been half inched!

I definitely never lent it to anyone.

Do you think it's worth trying my Opposing Force CD-Key?

dogboy73 said:
Do you think it's worth trying my Opposing Force CD-Key?
Well, logic should dictate to Steam that if you own Opposing Force, you HAVE to own HL because it was an expansion pack and not standalone. All depends on whether you've registered it with any other account though :/

Do you remember what email your old account was tied to? Perhaps you should try and do a password recovery, and log into it (if indeed it exists, but if you were playing CS 1.6, you surely must have had a steam account and a CD key to go with it).

kupoartist said:
Well, logic should dictate to Steam that if you own Opposing Force, you HAVE to own HL because it was an expansion pack and not standalone. All depends on whether you've registered it with any other account though :/
I don't recall registering Opposing Force ............ I might not even have registered HL!! It was a long time ago.

Do you remember what email your old account was tied to? Perhaps you should try and do a password recovery, and log into it (if indeed it exists, but if you were playing CS 1.6, you surely must have had a steam account and a CD key to go with it).
Erm. I've got a good idea. Actually I'm not even sure if I was playing 1.6. I think I was still playing 1.5 & thats one of the reasons I had trouble getting onto CS servers! I don't know!? I just remember that at the time I thought Steam was a pile of steaming shite & I'd gotten fed up with trying to log on & get a game. HL1's days were numbered on my PC! It was time to move on!

How would I do a password recorvery if I can get into my old account ........... How do I get into my old account?!

kupoartist said:

thats not true, i never bought hl, but i bough blue shift and opposing force together about 2 years ago for 10 bucks. you can install blueshift as a stand alone or of as a stand alone

polyguns said:
thats not true, i never bought hl, but i bough blue shift and opposing force together about 2 years ago for 10 bucks. you can install blueshift as a stand alone or of as a stand alone
It's true in Europe, but not in the US :p

dogboy73 said:
The fu*ks all this about??

http://pc.ign.com/objects/684/684435.html

Bit old now but was that ever going to happen or did IGN just get the wrong end of the stick like I did?
When CS Source was announced at E3 2004, they said they would be doing other source versions of old HL properties. AFAIK, they never explicitly said they'd do BS or OP4 source, but the gamespy/ign conglomerate made pages for the games anyway.

I'm considering sending my old HL1 jewel case off to Valve & paying the $10 in order to get the CD-key reset! I'd like to look more into how this works but I feel like I'm missing out on something I should be entitled to now ........... as well as being a bit peaved about some bugger tea leafing my old CD-Key!! (If infact that's what has happened).

Back