Blue Shift: Source Mod

tovlakas said:
let's see your amazing mod. oh wait. stfu.
SO say someone doesnt like a Movie or a tshirt, would you say the same? Make a better one? Cmon! people are entitled to oppionions.

And on the topic of oppionions I agree with kupoartist. The levels do look upsized and as a result sparse, personally I think if you cant make the room interesting for say a monorail trip then make it smaller and add some details. If its to large then you loose alot of the nicer touches you may be adding. If that fails add some more passengers to the tram. HL2 sorta had it but it was too short. Perhaps get about 3 or 4 ppl on there having a real conversation. It would probably have more feect than watching a monorail trip again since we've seen it a fair bit now.

I also think the textures and placement of everything looks very generic and the lighting doesnt seem to work.

That said it's a start and a good one and it appears they are further along than most mods. I really cant say it's BMS quality but then again I dont think anything is up to their standard (It's the mod I'm most looking forward to). Hopefully it's fun, I'm another person who didnt think BS was that great a game at all but they will have the chance to iron out problems if they are willing to use a bit of creative license (not alot but you could improve it somewhat). I do wish so badly it was OF instead but any mods good news and while I already said it isnt a BMS for my mind I'm still excited to see this is comming out.

Now along with BMS, a faithfull OF would excite me no end, what with the weaponery and more advanced ai Steam could offer for squad mates. I'd just so love to see that game get made, it was pretty intense and had some really awesome parts in it.

I love this. Its so great to see exciting Half-Life fans making the old games into the Sourc engine, something I've always thought about. They really should merge together, these three teams, and make like a serie, like

Black Mesa
Black Mesa: Blue Shift
Black Mesa: Opposing Force

For an example. This would be cool names, although the names doesnt even bother me, teaming up with eachother seems a very good idea to me.

slurrrrrrrrrrrrp!!!! looking forward to play it.

tovlakas said:
let's see your amazing mod. oh wait. stfu.

Wow. You totally just stamped out my opinion. I'm totally feeling the routes of oppression flowing through my viens.

Note to self: the internet is by no means a democracy.

It looks great, but whyyyyy?

I guess if you want to practice your modding skills.

But still.

Samon said:
Wow. You totally just stamped out my opinion. I'm totally feeling the routes of oppression flowing through my viens.

Note to self: the internet is by no means a democracy.
Well tovlakas, its been great knowing you...

Samon said:
Are you implying that I ban him, Kalash :p ?

I cant speak for him, but tovlakas was trying to defend the modders working on BS:S, so i think that deserves some slack.

Krynn72 said:
I cant speak for him, but tovlakas was trying to defend the modders working on BS:S, so i think that deserves some slack.

There was nothing to defend. Samon was simply stating his opinion, as he has every right to express whatever he wants in a non-flammatory manner, which he did.

SixThree said:
Am I the only one who sees a severe quality differences between this and BM?
I thought the team could use some encouraging comments. But apparently I have no right to do so...

I hope to god tovlakas isn't part of the Blueshift Source team... That would be pathetic.

Those screenshots are okay. Geometry could be a bit more complex (it's HL-esque) and some of the texturing and/or lighting makes it look a bit.. off.

Still, it's cool that they're remaking it.

vegeta897 said:
I hope to god tovlakas isn't part of the Blueshift Source team... That would be pathetic.

That's what I thought he may have been at first. But it's the arrogant ones whose mods die before even the first map's finished. And BSS has atleast 2. :p

Samon said:
Are you implying that I ban him, Kalash :p ?
Not really. Just implying that by the time oppression stops flowing through your viens, we might not be able to reconize him after! :p

EDIT: On the topic of BSS, I'd like to see some of their weapons, monsters, et cetera: see whats happening in that direction. I would like to agree with some of the points previously raised here too: the size bit. By making things really big, unless you can fill them: shrink em. The large elevator sequence area is REALLY huge and I think that by toning it down to about the size it was (original BS) or even smaller, you can make it really work well.

I think making a good port of an existing game is going to depend on the ai scripting more than anything. Making a clone of a map just beefed up in source is the easy part, reviving the gameplay of hl is where the real challenge is I think. Not really interested in this or bm, hell I havent even played thru hl2 hehe but I suppose if the reviews were good enough I would give it a whirl.

Kalashnikov said:
EDIT: On the topic of BSS, I'd like to see some of their weapons, monsters, et cetera: see whats happening in that direction. I would like to agree with some of the points previously raised here too: the size bit. By making things really big, unless you can fill them: shrink em. The large elevator sequence area is REALLY huge and I think that by toning it down to about the size it was (original BS) or even smaller, you can make it really work well.
Oftentimes less is more. This is what professional game developers realize that mods often don't.

605Scorpion said:
Oftentimes less is more. This is what professional game developers realize that mods often don't.
This as well. It truely depends on how the area is designed and what its functionality is. I'm not claiming to be a pro or an experienced developer, but this is the common trend with several maps and worlds I've played in: mostly Black Mesa :D.

sorry i was drunk.

And no, not part of Blue shift dev team, don't worry!

I just don't like most of samon's opinions that much in general, so I guess I let that leak into an unecessarily flaming retort to something that wasn't really that bad at all in retrospect.

Sorreh!

well, it was nice of him to apologize at least

I was going to note that, but it sounded far, far too sarcy. Not meaning too either.

pfft, so? if he was lying or being sarcastic, and you take it as real, he comes off as the jerk, not you

I don't phrase things like that well, without looking completely fake and ridiculous. I have accepted his apology, and its cool.

it's okay i have enough touchy feely softness for both of us <3

on topic, i wish teams would do original content instead of remakes :p not that i find remakes bad

Samon said:
You could just play the original...thats my reasoning.

I'd like to play the original, and still be able to move physics props around to form barricades, shields etc. That's why I'm looking forward to BM and BS:S.

And uber cool graphics help too :p

99.vikram said:
I'd like to play the original, and still be able to move physics props around to form barricades, shields etc. That's why I'm looking forward to BM and BS:S.

So how will they put the gravity gun into BS:S? o_0

Ruubie said:
I love this. Its so great to see exciting Half-Life fans making the old games into the Sourc engine, something I've always thought about. They really should merge together, these three teams, and make like a serie, like

Black Mesa
Black Mesa: Blue Shift
Black Mesa: Opposing Force

For an example. This would be cool names, although the names doesnt even bother me, teaming up with eachother seems a very good idea to me.
My understanding was that the very reason that Opposing Source wasn't more closely integrated with Black Mesa Source was that Black Mesa didn't feel that mod was shaping up to their vision. Opposing Source looked considerably better than this Blue Shift: Source mod. Unless the Black Mesa team take it upon themselves to remake the Gearbox expansions, don't expect to see that name scheme :p... though I am half expecting "Black Mesa, Hidden Dragon" from that...

The 3rd screenshot is so damn hawt.
Erestheux said:
Gay Voice-Over: "omg gordan we traveled forward thru tiem and we stolenz a cool gun its called teh gravygun and it PWNS"
Gordon: "..."
Gay Voice-Over: "cant speak or somethin? LOL"

Erestheux said:

the fact is that there won't be a gravity gun in BS:S.

kupoartist said:
My understanding was that the very reason that Opposing Source wasn't more closely integrated with Black Mesa Source was that Black Mesa didn't feel that mod was shaping up to their vision. Opposing Source looked considerably better than this Blue Shift: Source mod. Unless the Black Mesa team take it upon themselves to remake the Gearbox expansions, don't expect to see that name scheme :p... though I am half expecting "Black Mesa, Hidden Dragon" from that...
It wasn't that they were not shaping into our vision (at the present time, we have no real vision for OP or BS), it is just that we felt that they weren't going to make any arrangement between us a fair one. We have had several mod teams come and ask for our work, but we just don't want to hand out our resources and materials before our own work is out there or if we were not receiving an equal return (say, they do some aliens, we do the rest and share them). So far, we have yet to have any mod team approach us with that kind of offer.

Opposing Source also sprung up in Black Mesa's shadow, which put them in a tight spot. A lot of their developers were relying that we would support them by allowing them to use our models, worlds, textures, and other such assets freely. When this was not the case, the mod closed its doors.

When Black Mesa shares its resources, we would like to get an equal sharing relationship back: a 50/50 as some would say.

Samon said:
I don't phrase things like that well, without looking completely fake and ridiculous. I have accepted his apology, and its cool.
Tee-hee, you even sound sarcastic/fake right there!

Back