Build me a (HL2) gaming machine!

Woah dude, it was just a joke. I asked what my PSU could handle and he joked about an answer? At least, thats what I got from it. :E

havent read all the posts so may be said before :)
Get the Pentium 4 3.06 with Hyper-Threading.
This will make a hyge diffrence when multitasking, since it's theoretacly 2 proccesors :)
and the wait for either new ATI or Geforce.
get 1024 DDR RAM, and your loading speeds will be non existant.
Some good motherboard...im not sure about that...
and a maxtor HDD... i have only had good experiences with them :)

i know..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................but people just suck sometimes. its jut the way i think...i guess i look at things in a different prespective then other people.

:eek:

You alright mate? You seem pretty down.

Tbh, everyone sees things in a different perspective, so don't worry about it. :)

Originally posted by Nostradamus
havent read all the posts so may be said before :)
Get the Pentium 4 3.06 with Hyper-Threading.
This will make a hyge diffrence when multitasking, since it's theoretacly 2 proccesors :)
and the wait for either new ATI or Geforce.
get 1024 DDR RAM, and your loading speeds will be non existant.
Some good motherboard...im not sure about that...
and a maxtor HDD... i have only had good experiences with them :)

damn u know how to waste money dont you.

first thing....god all mighty u dont need a 3.06Ghz cpu.....they are like soo overpriced when u cant even tell the difference between a 2.8GHz AMD. 1024ddr is a good choice...buying a card that might come out in september is a waste of money....no game needs them yet...and when they do the price will have dropped. dont pay $500+ for a v-card that will get u the same preformance in a game as a 9800 pro or a top of the line fx. its jut not worth it and i cant stress it enough. people tend to think the most expensive is the best and that just isnt so.

Can you actually get a 2.8Ghz AMD? I'm thinking that would be like 3600+ or something.

Well i'm off t' bed. Night all!

:)

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
486 @ 50mhz with 16 megs of ram, any faster and it will sink :p

Make sure you update your drivers before you play HL2 :cheese:

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
its funny how people react to things now a days. Its funny how many people are followers and how little leaders there are. Anything someone sees, they have to have it to brag...Anything people see or hear that is cool or funny, automaticly relate it to themselves when talking to people even if its a lie. They make up lies just so people that they have never met will think they are cool because something was funny. id bet u dont have a 486 and are just posting that because of what the guy said in the 22 min video. it was funny. people tkae it and lie about things and its not funny. maybe u do have a 486, i dont care but u wouldnt have posted that if that guy never made a comment about them. little things just piss me off like that, and know i have finally figured out why i am looking forward to HL2 single player more than multiplayer.....i dont think i like most people. maybe u were just joking, but i just want to kill someone. not just because of 1 stupid comment but because of how stupid people are. jesus everyone is stupid including myself and i hate it. mankind ****ing sucks, or at least america, now i know why ever other country practicly hate america.

haha sry that's just hilarious... maybe you just want to think everyone sucks, becaus you want to be different?...because you want to be in focus...gah.. anyways... relax..no one ever said anything to provoke you to freak out like that :)
Besides..if there were no mankind, you wouldn't be here...and THAT would suck right?
And what is that about America exactly? explain please.

Originally posted by Dave
Can you actually get a 2.8Ghz AMD? I'm thinking that would be like 3600+ or something.

Well i'm off t' bed. Night all!

:)

I've seen peeps overclock a 2100 (1.7Ghz) to over 3Ghz on water though. Almost impossible on air cooling.

Almost, eh?

How about a case full of ridiculously fast Delta fans? :E

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
damn u know how to waste money dont you.

first thing....god all mighty u dont need a 3.06Ghz cpu.....they are like soo overpriced when u cant even tell the difference between a 2.8GHz AMD. 1024ddr is a good choice...buying a card that might come out in september is a waste of money....no game needs them yet...and when they do the price will have dropped. dont pay $500+ for a v-card that will get u the same preformance in a game as a 9800 pro or a top of the line fx. its jut not worth it and i cant stress it enough. people tend to think the most expensive is the best and that just isnt so.

Dunno...just something i learnt.. after 2 years, you will be happy that you bought it... i have my stupid 800 mhz... it was TOP when i got it..after a year i couldnt run half the games out... so im just thinking forward..thats all
and yes you WILL see a difference...of course not if it is a gaming only computer, but i doubt it... most people i know use a lot of multi tasking and, it really is effective with hyper threading... at leat i think(i don't have one...my brother does...)

hunter did mention earlier that the more he plays multiplayer fps games then the more he wants to kill someone (in real life)

I've got a:

Athlon 2200+
512MB RAM
80GB Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 7000 32MB 3D Card

I think I am fine... except in terms of a shite 3d card. I am going to get an ATI 9800 Pro after the summer closer to the time of release.

To me, that's the ideal machine ;)

I do happen to have an IBM 486 @ 50mhz with 16 megs of ram and a 250meg HD, Its used for sewing machine software downstairs. Its my first computer when i was about 6 and played doom, then at 1998 i got a new one. Now your 420W psu will power just about all you could want in a normal computer fine with no oc'ing.
Just like Nostradamus im on a Dell L800R (p3 800mhz) and when i get a new computer im going all out except for the sound card. My aim is a Dell 4600 with 9800, I'll buy the rest from newegg (mem, sound, speaker, moniter maybe). Mainly because of the discounts you get with a small company.

I do happen to have an IBM 486 @ 50mhz with 16 megs of ram and a 250meg HD, Its used for sewing machine software downstairs. Its my first computer when i was about 6 and played doom, then at 1998 i got a new one. Now your 420W psu will power just about all you could want in a normal computer fine with no oc'ing.
Just like Nostradamus im on a Dell L800R (p3 800mhz) and when i get a new computer im going all out except for the sound card. My aim is a Dell 4600 with 9800, I'll buy the rest from newegg (mem, sound, speaker, moniter maybe). Mainly because of the discounts you get with a small company.

420W normal, no not really.....its the second highest amound u can get besides 500...

aite does radeon new ones come with DVI OUT

For those who think AMD is so much faster than intel.., you haven't been keeping up with things.

1. Intel just cranked up the 2.4, 2.6 and 2.8GHz P4's with 800MHz FSB and Hyper-Threading. AMD chips at the same speed (or "+" speed) cannot compete preformance wise with these chips. Toms Hardware Guide see's AMD's CPU modeling number system as now completely innacurate. AMD's new 3200+ processor performed at about the same level as a 2.8GHz P4 with 800MHz Bus and HT. Moving over to another site, Anandtech, shows the 3200+ doing a little better, but still being outperformed by the new 3.0GHz P4. There should be, according to the "+" numbering system of AMD's, the equivalent of a 200MHz difference between those two CPU's, thus resulting in definate better performance, but this is not the case.

2. A larger FSB is quite important *looks at [Hunter]Ridic*. Increasing the memory bandwith largely increases system performance, as it allows a larger throughput of data. Standard benchmarking tests clearly show the benefits of 800MHz FSB.

3. Hyper-Threading is a HUGE attractive feature. At most you can see benefits up to about 25-30%, and within an already high clocked processor, this is very good.

I recommend Intel for sure. Look at the 2.8C GHz P4's. If you're into overclocking, many have already taken that CPU and clocked it up to 3.2GHz with standard air cooling.

Hunter forgot his meds.

On the topic at hand: I would say get a P4 with the 800MHz FSB. Atleast 512MB of DUAL DDR ram, 1GHz is slowly becoming more accepted, simply because many new games (even older ones such as BF1942 can utilize that much easily) take advantage of it. If you want to be able to run HL2 w/ all goodies on, at high resolutions with good frames, R9800 or 5900FX are your choices.

If your only concern is running HL2, wait till September to build your system. You can get much faster components for less. However if you are intersted in playing Star Wars: Galaxies (SWG) or other games which are coming out this summer, by all means, upgrade now.

Hmmm...I'm wondering...which one would you guys go for? (and do you think 80 gigs of HD space and 512 megs of RAM is enough?)

1)
-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB w/ 512KB Cache w/Hyper-Threading
-Intel D875PBZ - Intel 875P Pentium 4 Motherboard

OR

2)
AMD Athlon XP Processor 3000+ - $140 Instant Rebate
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe - NVIDIA® nForce2 SPP Motherboard DDR

Which one's better? The second is almost $200 less, and the nForce2 mobo has always interested me...I would save more money because I wouldn't have to worry about a sound card...but I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

-Vert

I personally am a fan of Intel. So naturally I would go for the first system. I will be getting a new system soon, within a couple weeks, and the stats are:

P4 3.0GHz 800MHz FSB w/ HT
Intel D875PBZ Chipset
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200 (dual channel)
240GB Seagate Barracude 7200.7 SATA - RAID 0
Plextor 48/24/48 CDRW
16X CD-ROM
Radeon 9800Pro
SB Audigy 2
XP Pro

Now you may say this is a waste of money. I disagree. I currently have a P4 1.3GHz and a GeForce 3 and it's starting to fall behind. I personally prefer to pay more and upgrade less. I realize you can buy a middle of the road system for less, and upgrade more frequently and still run most games with good FPS. I however have a job, can afford to purchase a higher end PC, less frequently. I enjoy having the best technology out, then OC'ing/tweaking it further. It's part of the enjoyment for me. I wouldn't enjoy buying a 2.4GHz P4 and a Ti4600. That's boring for me. Overkill? Yah. Fun? Hell yah.

Hmmm...just out of curiosity, is that system you're getting parts you ordered, or is a company making it? Because if a company is making it, it looks an awful lot like a certain Alienware system...what with the Barracude and Plextor stuff....maybe it's just me though and my Alienware fanboyism (yes, I've finally come to accept it).

-Vert

I'm buying a new rig in September when I go to UK for Uni (if i get the grades :p) basically:

P4 3.0 Ghz 800mhz FSB
1Gig of DDR ram (probably 3000+)
120 GB 7200 RPM Harddisk (Seagate prob)
Either Radeon 9800 pro or Geforce FX 5900 which ever is a better performer
48x/24x/48x CD-RW
16x DVD-Rom
Soundblaster Live! Audigy 2

Now about motherboards anyone have a recommendation I could look out for?

Oh and any UK peeps could tell where's the best place to buy online in the UK?

NEVER!

I say...NEVER! Never buy a dell or anything prebuilt. Always build it yourself, otherwise it will suck! Anyone that thinks not please give me a reason why to buy a prebuilt! :bounce:

Abit

Originally posted by Killerlagger
I'm buying a new rig in September when I go to UK for Uni (if i get the grades :p) basically:

P4 3.0 Ghz 800mhz FSB
1Gig of DDR ram (probably 3000+)
120 GB 7200 RPM Harddisk (Seagate prob)
Either Radeon 9800 pro or Geforce FX 5900 which ever is a better performer
48x/24x/48x CD-RW
16x DVD-Rom
Soundblaster Live! Audigy 2

Now about motherboards anyone have a recommendation I could look out for?

Oh and any UK peeps could tell where's the best place to buy online in the UK?

Abit is pretty stable and fast. Check it out at www.abit.com.tw!

:bounce:

What would you recommend is a good videocard for me to get? I'm running an AMD 2200+ so I don't wanna bottleneck... But from what I've seen this CPU's actually pretty good. Would a 9800 pro be realistic or am I being a bit silly? :eek:

A 9800pro would be perfect but I have a geforce4 ti4200 64mb 8xAGP and i think it will run gr8 as everything else! :bounce:

I was going to build an intel system until i found out its cheaper to get a dell (but buying more ram or a bigger hd or an extra cd rom from them is a rip off). Radeon 9800 (non-pro) 110$ easy to oc to pro speeds.

Radeon 9800 (non-pro) 110$ easy to oc to pro speeds.

True but if HL2 will use it alot it may burn....thats why its better to buy a stable card.....

:bounce: :bounce:

Its the same exact thing as a pro just underclocked, Go read the dell forums.

So its the same cooler too? Thats just stupidity....

Buying new cards with new hsf seems like itd be more trouble for dell, they buy them in the millions i bet. Its not stupid, One guy oc'ed his to pro speeds just fine. Although not many people post about oc'ing on the dell forums :\

So they make money on ppl that are to scared to Overclock?

Sure why not? Or the person doesnt know better, OC'ing will get you a better 3d mark score but you still beable to max it out in games.

Surely though, if you can overclock a non-pro to a pro, you can overclock a pro to something even more powerfull? :)

skogum!-You dont understand anything do you?
Dave- Anything past 400mhz and it turns fugly, i suppose if you use better cooling you could but then youd need to crank up the memory too ;) It'd be too much trouble to go through all that imo.

Back