Build me a (HL2) gaming machine!

Originally posted by skogum!
So in other words.....NO! YOU MORON!

:bounce:

No i didnt say that but if theres a will theres a way. Go look at the crappy 70 unti ps2 super computer.

If there is a will there is a way, Some geeks (not flaming) made a super computer with 70 playstation 2 game consoles. So i guess anything is possible.

You might want to rethink the PSU actually.. Cheap 300w PSU - £20 minimum.

I'd hate to think of what you are getting with your £20 case, but I bet it won't be able to power a 2.6Ghz and ATI Radion 9800 Pro.

Nope. It's advertised as coming with a 350W PSU - I made sure of that. As for cases, I couldn't give a damn about the fascia - it'll just get hidden away under my desk in any case.

This is the one.

If PSU does become a problem, I can always get one of these (noise isn't really a problem for me). :)

Never had a single problem with ebuyer in 2 years of buying from them (and have never tried dabs, but ebuyer doesn't have some things), aside from one delivery that was a day late. I'll visit some computer fairs before I buy anything mail-order though - there's usually a good 10% that can be saved if you go to the right places.

Originally posted by infin|ty
Hunter forgot his meds.

On the topic at hand: I would say get a P4 with the 800MHz FSB. Atleast 512MB of DUAL DDR ram, 1GHz is slowly becoming more accepted, simply because many new games (even older ones such as BF1942 can utilize that much easily) take advantage of it. If you want to be able to run HL2 w/ all goodies on, at high resolutions with good frames, R9800 or 5900FX are your choices.

If your only concern is running HL2, wait till September to build your system. You can get much faster components for less. However if you are intersted in playing Star Wars: Galaxies (SWG) or other games which are coming out this summer, by all means, upgrade now.

I'm a really nice person really. I just act all tough on an internet message board because my daddy has a gun.

Originally posted by Jager
I got mine running @ 4600 right now. See my sig.

u wanna tell us how u oc it to that? i currently have a ti4200 as well.

You don't know?

I attached the latest one.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/

coolbits_1.gif

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
yea fag lets all go out and pay for a $200 overpriced P4 that my old system can beat the shit out of.

Stop dreaming and go chill out.

sorry it seems ppl tend to think that the most expensive is the best and for this case that aint true.

..anyway, jager i was able to get my ti 4200 up to 300MHz core speed and 600 for memory speed...much higher i would get snow and wang ching mouses etc...

..anyway, jager i was able to get my ti 4200 up to 300MHz core speed and 600 for memory speed...much higher i would get snow and wang ching mouses etc...

Good, once you start to notice artifacts/snow, it's recommended that you lower the memory setting 5Mhz at a time until artifacts are gone. If you notice freezing lower the core speed 5Mhz at a time until it's stable. you should be good a 300|600. Loop 3dmark for an hour or two to test stability.

yea, im pretty much at 300|600 now. seems all good now, i improved 15-20 fps in dod alone...

yea fag lets all go out and pay for a $200 overpriced P4 that my old system can beat the shit out of.

You've gotta love ignorance..

Even after we explain to him that P4's, albeit priced a bit higher, do perform better than Athlon's. Just go here or here and read please.

What is your 3Dmark01 score? 3DMark03? Don't resent people who can afford Intel chips.

AMD's perform better on a mhz basis. they get more speed out of a mhz then the pentiums. 2.1 ghz AMD beats out a 2.8 ghz pentium. and the test of the Athlon 64 gave an even better result. a 1.7 ghz AMD Athlon 64 had managed to beat a 2.8 ghz Pentium. so eat on that pentium fanboys!

edit I changed the 3.2 ghz to 2.8. my mistake. but anyway. if i calculated it right then the AMD Athlon 64 have 70 % more speed per mhz then the pentiums

Id like to see some benchmarks because i saw some cpu benchmarks yesterday that killed AMD. at anandtech

AMD = \m/

Although I've heard they overate the Bench speeds on some of their later CPU's. The XP 3200+ runs at 2.2ghz... um...

the 3200+ sucks. its to expencive and its equally fast as the 3000+ wich is 150 euro's cheaper.

I was talking about the 64 bit AMD's but AMD still has way more performance per mhz, but pentium is king ATM

Originally posted by EVIL
AMD's perform better on a mhz basis. they get more speed out of a mhz then the pentiums. 2.1 ghz AMD beats out a 2.8 ghz pentium. and the test of the Athlon 64 gave an even better result. a 1.7 ghz AMD Athlon 64 had managed to beat a 2.8 ghz Pentium. so eat on that pentium fanboys!

edit I changed the 3.2 ghz to 2.8. my mistake. but anyway. if i calculated it right then the AMD Athlon 64 have 70 % more speed per mhz then the pentiums

That's like saying Hondas get more HP per liter. That's all well and good, but who cares when they put out 150HP. Cobra > efficient Honda. Athlon 64 won't change much. Unless you are running a 64-bit app, and moreover, a 64-bit OS, the performance gains are minimal. Another 2-3 years before there is any sizable amount of 64-bit software.

well i'm just saying, at this point in time if you want a higher end processor pentiums are the better buy. you can get a cheaper intel processor that performs better than an amd which has a higher cost atm.

wow, lets just refer to the most biased hardware guide out there and believe that its true for all u ppl that live and apparently die by it.. you know just because someone says something dosnt mean its true. Bill Gates could tell me that nvidia is better then ati(just an example) and id tell him to go suck a dick. i bet 3/4 of u bastard nubs havnt even used or experienced the shit u talk about so step the **** off. im not saying Pentiums are bad im saying some of u loosers are only think they dominate because its the most expensive thing and u know absolutly nothing about computers.

Intel isnt the best, AMD is. Intell is just the fastest ATM.
AMD 0wnz intel @ performance per mhz.

Originally posted by TrueWeltall
Ridic Intel is the best right now, accept the facts and FFS shutup.

jesus christ true weltall u dont know jack shit go suck a cock

haha you guys are crazy. why get so upset over processors...? either way, pentiums are definately the best moneywise and speedwise AT THIS POINT IN TIME. if amd comes out with something revolutionary soon (which i hope they do), then they will probably again be on top. simple as that.

jesus christ true weltall u dont know jack shit go suck a cock

Aww the little baby got mad. Shows how mature you are kiddie.

Begone!

Back