Call Of Duty: World At War Reviews

I still don't get the draw here. I have grown pretty weary of the whole WWII thing.

Like gamespot reviewed it : Familliar guns, Familliar settings, Familliar gameplay... next

What is infinity ward developing ?

The next CoD I think...maybe they'll stick to the modern theme or try a new war (Vietnam's been rarely done, Vietcong is the only series that did it well tbh)

My opinion:

Here is a graph
CODgraph.jpg

EDIT: Give CoD2 another 30 points or so :D

Be nice if they (developers) took a stab (no pun intended) at making a WW1 themed game.

-MRG

What would you do? I imagine it would mostly be trench warfare and that will get old very quickly with the amount of time you would die.

What would you do? I imagine it would mostly be trench warfare and that will get old very quickly with the amount of time you would die.

A few things come to mind.

1) Authentic Trench warfare. Much more than just running & gunning in trenches.
2) Early tank warfare. Lumbering across the battlefield in a old iron juggernaught.
3) Early air combat in Sopwith camels & the like. Hand held bombs.
4) Early Warship warfare between the Imperial German Navy and the British Royal Navy.

Just to name a few ideas. WW1 was not solely about trench warfare as many people believe. America's last known WW1 combat veteran died in 2007 @ the age of 108. My grandfather who died over 20 years ago, was a WW1 British Naval Veteran.

-MRG

A few things come to mind.

1) Authentic Trench warfare. Much more than just running & gunning in trenches.
2) Early tank warfare. Lumbering across the battlefield in a old iron juggernaught.
3) Early air combat in Sopwith camels & the like. Hand held bombs.
4) Early Warship warfare between the Imperial German Navy and the British Royal Navy.

Just to name a few ideas. WW1 was not solely about trench warfare as many people believe. America's last known WW1 combat veteran died in 2007 @ the age of 108. My grandfather who died over 20 years ago, was a WW1 British Naval Veteran as a Gunner.

-MRG

1) All it would be is hiding in a trench for a bit, then getting up and running and gunning.
2) Slow moving vehicles with shitty armament that get stuck in bushes? Sounds like fun to me!
4) Could be fun, but that would only be in a flight sim-type game. Not COD
4) Yes, loading and firing artillery guns over and over until a ship sinks and then doing that over and over sounds amazingly entertaining.

The reason why nobody has made a WWI game is because it would be either A) boring as hell, or B) completely unrealistic and everyone would hate it for that. It simply would suck.

1) All it would be is hiding in a trench for a bit, then getting up and running and gunning.
2) Slow moving vehicles with shitty armament that get stuck in bushes? Sounds like fun to me!
4) Could be fun, but that would only be in a flight sim-type game. Not COD
4) Yes, loading and firing artillery guns over and over until a ship sinks and then doing that over and over sounds amazingly entertaining.

1) Isn't that what every FPS is? Swap trenches for any other given location. Running & Gunning is the core value for most FPS. Show me a FPS where you DON'T do that.
2) This is WW1. Of course the tanks are going to suck. Thats the whole point. They still kicked ass from time to time though. Tanks of today have their roots in the tanks of yesterday.
3) I never said the game had to be COD. (Even though this is a COD thread) Still, I have no doubt that the COD devs could make a stellar WW1 based game. The Battlefield series, is not a flight sim game is it, but they have aircraft. ET:QW has aircraft, but it's not a flight sim. Shall I name others or do you get the point? Just because a game has planes Krynn, does not mean it's a flight sim. Surely you know that.
4) Lovely sarcasm Krynn. [Deleted rest of comment]

The reason why nobody has made a WWI game is because it would be either A) boring as hell, or B) completely unrealistic and everyone would hate it for that. It simply would suck.

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us. Of course you are wrong, as I would enjoy it, but still thanks none the less.

-MRG

1) Isn't that what every FPS is? Swap trenches for any other given location. Running & Gunning is the core value for most FPS. Show me a FPS where you DON'T do that.
2) This is WW1. Of course the tanks are going to suck. Thats the whole point. They still kicked ass from time to time though. Tanks of today have their roots in the tanks of yesterday.
3) I never said the game had to be COD. (Even though this is a COD thread) Still, I have no doubt that the COD devs could make a stellar WW1 based game. The Battlefield series, is not a flight sim game is it, but they have aircraft. ET:QW has aircraft, but it's not a flight sim. Shall I name others or do you get the point? Just because a game has planes Krynn, does not mean it's a flight sim. Surely you know that.
4) Lovely sarcasm Krynn. [Deleted rest of comment]

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us. Of course you are wrong, as I would enjoy it, but still thanks none the less.

-MRG

1) You said it wouldnt be simple run and gun. I said it would. You missed the point.
2) But they wouldnt be fun to play. Why would anyone want to play a game where the tanks suck, when the alternative is to play a game where the tanks dont suck?
3) I really doubt bi-wing planes would draw in a crowd outside of a flight sim crowd. Why would people want to fly slow machines with shitty weaponry in a game thats primarily a fps (as the BF and QW games are). I just dont see it drawing a worthy crowd.
4)Thanks, I worked hard on it.

Thanks very much for replying to my opinion with your opinion. Of course, you are wrong, as you would be the only one who would like that kind of game, and thus no developer would make it since nobody else would like it, but still, thanks none the less.

EDIT: lol, I remember the days of numbered quote wars.

This is the closest thing you'll get to a WW1 FPS. :p
Or theres also The Trenches mod for HL1 or the Battlefield 1918 mod for BF1942.

I've never found any of the CoD games that impressive, though for most I've only played at my friends' (i.e. not for v long).
They feel pretty generic from what I have played.

Just got this for my 360 and I'm loving it! So much replayabiltiy now, what with the challenges and Death Cards etc. I'm just trying to get through the campaign so I can play the zombie mode. :p

Zombie mode is god awesome.

I got shit scared the first time i played it... started thinking

"omg if this scares the bajeezus outta me then wtf is L4d gonna do eh?"

Thanks very much for replying to my opinion with your opinion. Of course, you are wrong, as you would be the only one who would like that kind of game, and thus no developer would make it since nobody else would like it, but still, thanks none the less.

EDIT: lol, I remember the days of numbered quote wars.

:cheers:

This is the closest thing you'll get to a WW1 FPS. :p
Or theres also The Trenches mod for HL1 or the Battlefield 1918 mod for BF1942.
I played the 1918 mod for BF42 quite a bit when it came out. (See Krynn, I told you i'm NOT the only person interested in a WW1 themed game! lol ) Don't laugh, but I have that game you link to as well.

God this thread quickly turned into a **** fight
Krynn & I arn't fighting, just discussing our differences of opinions based around a WW1 themed game. Now were him & I to get out rulers and start taking measurements, that would be a fight! :p

Love it.

The multiplayer feels exactly like how COD4 felt during the first few weeks/months of release - absoloutly blessed. I'm so glad I can use the COD4 formular for MP with new maps, weapons, perks and unlocks because it's seriously rekindled my love for COD online. I was so bored of COD4, but then I did play it for like 8 months straight. Now I've got something else to sink my teeth into and I'm so glad I've finally found a new MP game from the last several weeks that I can actually really have a laugh with. I'm already properly burning through the ranks because it feels like I'm jumping right back into COD4, but without all the dull stuff I've seen so many times before. A nice rehash, if you will.

The singleplayer is pretty awesome, too. Again, the new locations and enemies and weapons are a real welcome change, though that can only be said for the Marine/Japan missions. That said, the first Russian mission is sublime.

Downloaded it, couldn't create a profile without it crashing, deleted it

Might give it a purchase after xmas, I'll see how my mates like it

As is the last :).

It also suprised me that that was Gary Oldman as your Russian superior.

He kept dying on me (If we are talking about the same guy with the missing finger) & so once I made it to the end of the map, to where that barn is with I guess a tank inside, the trigger to continue the game is broken & so nothing happens. Even restarting the map from scratch does not help. There is no warning when he dies & so I followed him across the map like a shadow with God mode on, hoping I could keep him alive, but at different areas of the map, enemies near or not, he just dies. Not sure if he is needed to continue, but with or without him, I still can not go any further.

-MRG

He kept dying on me (If we are talking about the same guy with the missing finger) & so once I made it to the end of the map, to where that barn is with I guess a tank inside, the trigger to continue the game is broken & so nothing happens. Even restarting the map from scratch does not help. There is no warning when he dies & so I followed him across the map like a shadow with God mode on, hoping I could keep him alive, but at different areas of the map, enemies near or not, he just dies. Not sure if he is needed to continue, but with or without him, I still can not go any further.

-MRG

The dudes always been invulnerable on all my playthroughs, so somethings gone wrong somewhere.

Anyone else loving the music? Especially the end credits music, that song is awesome lol

Oh and btw, I'm sure most people know about how you unlock Nazi Zombies once you beat the game, but let the credits go completely through for a proper introduction to it, its pretty cool. ;)

Been playing the game on my PS3 with my mates, loving it

Haven't gotten zombie mode yet but I think I'm near the end. Also, is there any way to fix the ****ed up co-op screens? Why the **** are they off center like that and so damn small? And can you do nazi zombie coop on the same system?

Just done the Black Cats mission, which is kinda a homage to the AC-130 mission from COD4. It was pretty cool - I esp. liked how you moved throughout the plane between weapons, though only because the animations like using the doorframe to swing into a seat near the pilots or the way you would shimmy around your paralell gunner beside you to swap places. It's pretty much like the bomber mission in United Offensive, really, and I'm not overly fond on on rails plane shooters, but this was pretty good.

Oh, and also - PPSh... possibly the most fun gun to use in close quaters? Feels good to open up in a crowded room from the hip, man. Can't wait to unlock it in MP!

Speaking of which, what's everyones favourite weapon? Map? Perk selection, etc? I usually use the BAR with bipod with x2 rockets, Stopping power and Deep Impact, and with the exception of the rockets, they are the perks I pretty much have equipped for all my classes (I use the C4 with my 'quicker' classes, such as SMG/sniper class) though I've already made a sneaker class with a silenced Thompson and Camoflauge, the new Radar Jammer.

I haven't got a favourite map yet, but I seem to do really well on Courtyard and I do quite enjoy the village one which I've forgotten the name of.

1)

No he wouldnt be the only one, because i also would like to see a WW1 game.

Back