can you like..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subz

Reaction score
pick s**t up and throw it. not like in halflife1, i mean like in deus ex.
SO in halflife2, can we pick s**t up or not?like a paint can, and when we do pick it up do we see gordons hands on it? or just a thing floating infrot of you.

Why the hell would you want to pick up s**t?! You're disgusting dude.

u know what i mean! i mean like any world object, just pick it up. deusex1 had this simple ability., foudn it quite usefull.

Being serious now...

Yes, you can pick things up, but I don't know about seeing Gordon's hands or not when you're holding onto something.

We'll just have to see if that's implemented into the final version of it.

EDIT: Heh, yeah I knew what ya' meant, dude :p. I'm just an idiot like that sometimes... err, all the time.

I doubt you'd be able to pick things up, kinda ruins the purpose of the manipulator? :)

no manip throws it at like 100 mph strate, pick up is justa nifty tool to move annoying paint cans. it is immersive too. i wuldn't mind it and some beta users say its in

i dont see much use for this in a game like hl2. splinter cell yes, hl2 no

yah well im only asking cause people told me its in.

i think it'd be really cool if you can do that... it seems it could add an element to the game, by making more ways to complete levels that the devs hadn't thought of. as things stand, from watching the vids... it seems that in some places it may be a good idea to go stealthily through diff. areas... if you could pick stuff up w/out help of manipulator, could be useful...

i dont see much use for this in a game like hl2. splinter cell yes, hl2 no

So, there is use for a weapon able to pick up 100lb objects and launch them through the air, but there isnt a use for the ability to pick up a little paint can and toss it with your hands?

It's just more consistent to impliment this feature, but the world of HL2 isn't very consistent to start with.

I think it would be cool to have in the game but I wont be hanging myself if it's not in there.

There is a weapon called the manipulator gun which you use to pick up light objects and move/throw them. It shows the object floating right in front of the gun.

It's a better idea than using hands for everything, because then you'd need to create models of everything he can put in his hand.

I'm sure one of the reviews mentions seeing Gordon pick up a manhole cover and whip it, frisbee-style, at a tripod-gun.

Tossing paintcans would be really cool, especially if there was paint in 'em.:E

Originally posted by Brian Damage
I'm sure one of the reviews mentions seeing Gordon pick up a manhole cover and whip it, frisbee-style, at a tripod-gun.

Those things are pretty heavy :borg:

Who knows what the hazard suit can do?

Maybe it wasn't a manhole cover. Perhaps it was a grate or something. I dunno.

(a complete guess here) It probably will not be in HL2 since it is, at its basest level, an action game. Manipulation of objects might be with manipulator, the use button or pushing/pulling.
It does, however, sound like the physics engine could do something whereby the hand can form around an object (like the ragdoll on complex surfaces or the strider's legs balancing on the ground).

*cough*trespasserhandinterfacetotallycool*cough*

whew what a nasty fit..

Originally posted by Subz
yah well im only asking cause people told me its in.

Whoever told you that was lying.

Originally posted by Pseudonym_
It's just more consistent to impliment this feature, but the world of HL2 isn't very consistent to start with.

And you've played HL2 to make this assumption? What're you basing this "non-consistency" on, anyway? Please don't tell me it's the stolen build..

Originally posted by Subz
pick s**t up and throw it. not like in halflife1, i mean like in deus ex.
SO in halflife2, can we pick s**t up or not?like a paint can, and when we do pick it up do we see gordons hands on it? or just a thing floating infrot of you.

like! totally!

And you've played HL2 to make this assumption? What're you basing this "non-consistency" on, anyway? Please don't tell me it's the stolen build..

My beliefs are derived from all the official media that has been released up to this poit. Are you saying you disagree? I dont see how anyone could, but here are some examples.......

Player models cast a shadow, but Gordon doesnt.

Player models/objects cast a shadow on the ground, but not on themselves or accross the surface of other "dynamic" objects.

Gordon's hands do not appear when he is driving, even though is body is supposedly physically simulated and a part of the game world.

Gordon's body does not cast a reflection in mirrors, even though is body is supposedly physically simulated and a part of the game world.

Many objects do not cast a shadow at all.

Shadows are cast from only one light source per scene, which sometimes leads to dynamic objects casting shadows in different directions than non-dynamic(light-mapped) objects.

Some surfaces use normal maps and are very detailed while other surfaces dont use any normal/bump maps and are very flat.

Some surfaces use specular maps and reflect light, most do not.

Valve says melee weapons such as crowbar are physically simulated entities in the game world, yet bullets are not.

Some objects in the game world are destructable and the fragments are new, physically simulated objects. Other objects(glass) create simple texture fragments which fall at a fixed rate then dissapear.

There is great inconsistancy in quality between different effects. For instance, water is amazing, yet the best they could do with fire is a cheap 2d sprite.

Some small gadgets and boxes in the game world can be maipulated with physics while others cannot.

I could go on a bit more, but its late and you get the picture. Valve was never about creating a consistent world, they just created a few nifty effects where they wanted them without applying them across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back