Canadian Liberal Party wants to ban handguns

Canadian Gunner said:
http://www.canada.com/national/feat....html?id=b9d0e843-80a0-4fb7-9e18-95304ee2ba97

The Liberal party, should they be elected, wishes to ban all handguns to combat violent crime. Good idea or bad idea? I personally think good, as some places are starting to get out of hand (including my general neighbourhood). Whether it will be effective is a different story though.

A Bad thing. It may seem bad now with the criminals with guns, but they are part of the immigrant tide.

Which will eventually swallow up canada, like everyother western nation which has followed mass immigration, because of reckless globalisation and liberal multiculturalism into the pit of oblivion.

YOU WILL NEED YOUR GUNS THEN.

DrDevin said:
You would think so but in fact stealth, finess and agility can allow even an unarmed man to take out someone else witha gun.

You mearly have to take them suprise. Such as hiding in a vent/cieling or take them by suprise from behind.

Oh and the same applies to tanks. As they take aim you rush them from behind, open the hatch and dispatch the men inside. There no more tank!

OMFG,WHAT KIND OF RETARDS IS THIS WORLD PRODUCING TODAY, WHO BELIEVE SOMETHING THEY HAVE SEEN IN A FILM OR SOMETHING.

TANKS IN COMBAT CONDITIONS HAVE THIER HATCHES SEALED AND LOCKED, YOU WILL KNIEVELY ATTEMPT THIS AND IT WILL EITHER, RUN OVER YOU AND CRUSH YOUR SKULL OR MACHINEGUN YOU TO LITTLE BITS.

little.rebel said:
OMFG,WHAT KIND OF RETARDS IS THIS WORLD PRODUCING TODAY, WHO BELIEVE SOMETHING THEY HAVE SEEN IN A FILM OR SOMETHING.

TANKS IN COMBAT CONDITIONS HAVE THIER HATCHES SEALED AND LOCKED, YOU WILL KNIEVELY ATTEMPT THIS AND IT WILL EITHER, RUN OVER YOU AND CRUSH YOUR SKULL OR MACHINEGUN YOU TO LITTLE BITS.
Qft i said the same thing a few posts up....nobody in there right mind would go after a tank, and if they did....they'd die.

RakuraiTenjin said:
couple years ago

It's then obvious everyone is out to get you! Quick! Arm yourself with dangerous and oversized weapon (thus, INCREASING the chances of an accidental death taking place in your house) and hide your house, leave only if needed (thus, dragging you deeper into paranoia).

Handguns are banned in australia and we do fine. You can still use them if you're a cop or security guard though- but you're under close scrutiny.

But it'd be nice to know that if something goes wrong i can blast some asshole away in defense of my family and home without having to cower in fear waiting for the police.

Or some asshole can blast you away while he tries to enter your home. This is the problem.

Sulkdodds said:
Or some asshole can blast you away while he tries to enter your home. This is the problem.

That is a key problem with wide spread of legally avalible hand guns. If handguns are restricted to people who have them for a good reason (ie a .22 rim fire for high level target shooting or a .357 for people like game keepers for putting wounded animals out of their misery) makes the "armed culture" much less dangerous. There is no real good reason for having a high capacity 9mm pistol in private hands.

With the agument for having hand guns for home defence comes the proplem of criminals having hand guns for personal "defence" when they break into homes. A particilary extreme example of this is found in South Africa where the criminals automaticly assume that any house they break into will have at least one gun and so, the will, without hesitiation kill anyone who they find inside the house so they dont get shot.

Flyingdebris said:
i agree with short recoil. I'm not too fond of having to rely on the teat of my government for all my protection needs.

Way i see it, if or when the shit absolutely hits the fan and everyone is going nuts, the police probably aren't going to have the time nor the manpower to keep you safe at the drop of a hat. The afore mentioned shit hitting fan moment may not ever happen in our lifetime. But it'd be nice to know that if something goes wrong i can blast some asshole away in defense of my family and home without having to cower in fear waiting for the police.

Such shit hitting fan moments might be anything from gang violence, zombies, WW3, aliens, prison outbreak, crazed ex trying to kill you, cheap hitman, or whatever.
Hmmm this post made me think of something,
The recent hurriacane that flooded new orleans, we have all heard the reports of lootings, car jackings, even a few rapes and murders.
Basically it was anarchy but afaik there were quite a few gun owners who kept control of the situation.
I'm not trying to say that guns made the situation much better but knowing that people may have a 12gauge waiting in their house would stop me looting....

The trouble in new orleans has shown us that with a big enough disaster, the goverment can't cope nearlly as much as needed....that was "just" a city....imagine if you have a larger situation.
Criminals could in theory do what they wanted with no worry, police spread too thin on the ground, what chance in hell would they have of stopping them?

How do you guys think a situation like that would differ in a place where criminals own more guns than "innocent citizens" ?

kirovman said:
I thought you would be against guns, what with the weak being able to kill the strong and all that. It would defy the notion of survival of the fittest! :O And fattys with guns can beat hulkish-type people, armed with fists!
Yeah but think what i'm like with a gun :LOL:

I have never seen anyone apart from the military police(they carry SMGs) carry any type of firearm around here. Even the police officers. I know some do, but just not around here.

Wasn't big trouble in New Orleans often caused by dudes with guns? D:

if i was in New orleans at the time i'd rather have a gun than not.

When it comes right down to it its all a matter of how prepared you want to be if its for practical reasons and/or how badass you think guns are if you collect them.

As soon as i get my own place i intend on getting myself a weapon. I'm not going to start blasting anybody who steps on my lawn. But I'd like to know its there just in case.

calling people who want to own guns paranoid is very short sighted IMO. Calling someone paranoid does not diminish the fact that there are dangerous people in the world and that it would be wise to have some means of self protection from.

Case in point. Whenever i go to this local 24 hour gas station at like 3 in the morning to get some caffeine drinks for an all night project i make sure to carry a screwdriver in my pocket. People have been mugged there before and i'l be damned if i'm defenseless.

Just for my own curiosity, how many of y'all opposed to the ban have gone shooting in recent years? Not hunting or anything, just paper-punching.

I ask because I bet many people's perceptions on handgun ownership and what people 'need' would change if they got the chance to go shoot. Especially if its a big bore, an exotic piece, full auto (come to Texas, you can rent em here. Ammo is awful expensive though), scoped, or silenced.

Banning guns would be great, but don't the people have the right to have them, whether they are dangerous or not? Isn't that a freedom of First world countries? Or does the security of the greater good supercede personal freedom? Doesn't this all sound familiar?

Teh Pwned said:
Banning guns would be great, but don't the people have the right to have them, whether they are dangerous or not? Isn't that a freedom of First world countries? Or does the security of the greater good supercede personal freedom? Doesn't this all sound familiar?

Laughable, still affraid of the "reds"?
Of course the greater good superced personal freedom. The opposite is, right now, destroying our planet.

Having the right to arm yourself is just pointless, i'd like to think we are more civilized than that as a species.

there are still muggings, burglaries and robberies are there not? There are those who would violently impose their will, ideas, or wants, over yours through violence...

So no, having the right to arm yourself is very pointful. We are civilized in the fact that we are not blungeoning each other over animal carcasses and grunting loudly. We are not so civilized that violence is a thing of the past.

Teh Pwned said:

Oh yes, the 'freedom' of having guns is good. :rolleyes:

And yes, it does supercede personal freedom. There is no part without the whole.

Teh Pwned said:

giving the means to take someone's life is NOT a right

where you're from

I dont need a weapon to make me feel safe

CptStern said:
where you're from

I dont need a weapon to make me feel safe
I do...well, I dont, but it makes you feel really good. I suggest you buy a gun and see how you like it Stern :) .

I'd rather not ..I dont need an instrument of death to make me feel good ..and yes I've fired a gun a number of times

No, taking peoples lives is not a right, thats why your jailed and (rarely) executed for it. But a persons right should belong, whether you need them or not. And when guns are banned, is this supposed to magically solve the problem of killings? Guns will just become underground merchandise.

44 murders due to handguns in a city that has more than 4 million inhabitants ..can any US city claim that? banning of guns has to take some credit for that

So once guns are banned, I take it that there will be no underground dealing? And people will not use knives instead of guns? Because 85% of murders are crimes of passion comitted on the spur, not planned out, and they use whatever is at hand. So if a guns not there, why not go for a knife?

Teh Pwned said:
So once guns are banned, I take it that there will be no underground dealing? And people will not use knives instead of guns? Because 85% of murders are crimes of passion comitted on the spur, not planned out, and they use whatever is at hand. So if a guns not there, why not go for a knife?

guns are banned now, no spike in knife related crimes ..almost all guns used in crimes are either smuggled or stolen

I really dont care about them ..my 2 year old is better off in a nation that doesnt glorify instruments of death

I don't really care about banning of guns anymore.
It just means i'll be more powerful in comparison to other people.

Same goes for criminals as well.

CptStern said:
I really dont care about them ..my 2 year old is better off in a nation that doesnt glorify instruments of death

Yes yes, facist america, what with thier war addictions and whatnot. Thats why we won gold and bronze in fencing, and thats why we'll take over the world someday. :thumbs:

Back