CE for $82 on Buy.com

Well I just ordered the Collectors Edition from EB.com for only 79.99 and will be picking it up in the store when its released so I didn't need to pay any shipping.

I hate collector's editions. They are completely unfair because only a tiny, tiny amount of people can actually get one.

Cybernoid said:
I hate collector's editions. They are completely unfair because only a tiny, tiny amount of people can actually get one.
The only thing i hate is that it's usually only for americans. Unless you want to import(yeah right).

UT2004 did it pretty good, although stores ****ed up. Cause Atari made a deal with some stores and gave it to them.

but at the same time other stores saw that they had them up for display and claimed to sell them as well(For lower prices as well).

So people said they would just order from the cheapest store. And surprise surprise, they didn't get anything cause the stores lied about getting it. Well or listed it without even knowing if they would get it.

FISKER_Q said:
The only thing i hate is that it's usually only for americans. Unless you want to import(yeah right).

UT2004 did it pretty good, although stores ****ed up. Cause Atari made a deal with some stores and gave it to them.

but at the same time other stores saw that they had them up for display and claimed to sell them as well(For lower prices as well).

So people said they would just order from the cheapest store. And surprise surprise, they didn't get anything cause the stores lied about getting it. Well or listed it without even knowing if they would get it.
Oh yeah, Atari did it great. They gave 40000 copies of the SE to America, and 20000 to the whole of Europe. Wonderful distribution method.

"Oh, no credit card? Well, you're not a collector, then!"

Abom said:
Oh yeah, Atari did it great. They gave 40000 copies of the SE to America, and 20000 to the whole of Europe. Wonderful distribution method.
It was given out beyond america and europe.
Besides that's what to expect from a special edition.

FISKER_Q said:
It was given out beyond america and europe.
Besides that's what to expect from a special edition.
I'm not talking about beyond europe, I'm talking about how unbalanced the ratio was. Europe should have recieved at least as many copies as America did, if not more. The result was that there was a huge rush in Europe with people trying to get the SE, and in the UK the only place to get it from was selling it for £50+.

Be wary of pre-ordering the Special Edition as stores don't have a clue what's in it or what sort of price to sell it for. They're out to get a few easy bucks and wont hesitate to jump up the price before selling it to you.

Yeah.... jerks

CE is only going to be worth snatching up if it absolutely rocks, which is unlikely, a lot of stuff has to be added before i consider spending any extra money, all i want is the game, if i want a tshirt i'll go to a clothes shop. More game = maybe more money.

Abom said:

U S A, U S A, U S A

lol, I love America.

My PERSONAL opinion, the best country in the WorLD, well....next to Canada that is.

EDIT* PhukinG liberals.

America is a terrible country, your standard of living is non sustainable and is a drain on the worlds resources.

Cybernoid said:

And which is why we must hence the name "Collector's Edition"

America is awesome, Bush is a ****ing retard, go see farenheit 9/11 if it is out in Europe. You will love it =D

Abom said:

America is roughly 2 to 3 times the size of the whole of Europe.

20000 x 2 = 40000

sounds pretty resonable to me.

It's gonna be the first collectors edition I will ever buy...unless you count me spending 59.99 American Dollars on the Pulp Fiction(My Favorite Movie) Special Collectors Edition

Rupertvdb said:
America is a terrible country, your standard of living is non sustainable and is a drain on the worlds resources.

**** off. man i'm really sick of these kind of opinions. wtf do you know about my standard of living? criticizing our countries standard of living because of a bunch of people you hear or read about in the news or something is hardly fair. it's along the same lines as hating all of germany for being nazis during the wwII era when well more than half that country had nothing to do with the nazi party. i'll admit theres a fair share of assholes over here but that hardly justifies hating an entire country that's just as diversified as anywhere else.

I will be buying the CE if it has enough stuff to be worth it, and ESPECIALLY if it contains all of the HL1 ports.

And how the hell is this thread starting to go political? sheesh.

As national radio talk-show host Glenn Beck once said, "People hate America for the same reason baseball fans hate the New York Yankees: we just keep on winning."

As for an $82 collector's edition, for that kind of scratch there'd better be some good sh*t in the box, like Valve's entire catalog of games upgraded to Source and a t-shirt.

i just preordered mine from EB yesterday, and i fully realize that the price may jump up. however, i'm going to be getting it anyway if it's anywhere under $120. i've been waiting far too long to not get any pretty little plastic figures. oh, and getting all the Source ports included has a bit to do with it too, :naughty:

Most source ports are included in the normal HL2 pack anyway. Hope you didn't get screwed over then.

ACLeroK212 said:
America is roughly 2 to 3 times the size of the whole of Europe.

20000 x 2 = 40000

sounds pretty resonable to me.
The population of America is around 300,000,000 people. The population of Europe is around 700,000,000 people. The landmass of America and Europe is completely irrelevant, it's about how many people there are that could potentially buy it. As you can see, the population of Europe is more than twice that of America, so providing only half the copies of the game is the completey stupid thing to do.

Abom said:
The population of America is around 300,000,000 people. The population of Europe is around 700,000,000 people. The landmass of America and Europe is completely irrelevant, it's about how many people there are that could potentially buy it. As you can see, the population of Europe is more than twice that of America, so providing only half the copies of the game is the completey stupid thing to do.

either way your talking about two completely different markets and i'm sure the people behind the marketing department at VALVe know much more than you or i.

ACLeroK212 said:
either way your talking about two completely different markets and i'm sure the people behind the marketing department at VALVe know much more than you or i.
I'm sure Valve will handle it fine, I'm just venting my anger toward Atari.

There was a discussion on the atari forums just before ut2k4 came out about the se. The reason America had so many more SE versions than Europe, as stated by an Epic employee on the atari forums, was because American computer owners were more likely to have DVD drives in their computers than European computer owners...which are needed to actually play the SE version

MosaD 22 said:
There was a discussion on the atari forums just before ut2k4 came out about the se. The reason America had so many more SE versions than Europe, as stated by an Epic employee on the atari forums, was because American computer owners were more likely to have DVD drives in their computers than European computer owners...which are needed to actually play the SE version
Heh, yeah - 'more likely'. You can tell they put much consideration into it.

<rant>
Lol, I laugh at you all for preordering somthing that you dont even know whats in it. Thats pathetic, you guys should atleast wait untill they release a list of whats in it to see if you like it.
</rant>

I live in America, and we are a total, uninhibited drain on the world's resources, our country doesn't care at all, as long as they make a profit. Kill a couple of thousand people? Sure, just as long as you make a lot of money. We need to get our asses regulated.

brokenjago said:
I live in America, and we are a total, uninhibited drain on the world's resources, our country doesn't care at all, as long as they make a profit. Kill a couple of thousand people? Sure, just as long as you make a lot of money. We need to get our asses regulated.
Thankgod for people with brains in that country :cheese:

brokenjago said:

So why dont you go join a foriegn army and try to "regulate" us then?

i can't wait to see whats in the Collectors Edition :cheese:
i've only once ever bought a Collectors Edition before.. but i think this one will be special :)

come on guys...lets not turn this thread into a flame war about what country is best or how horrible the united states is when it comes to pollution..

Rejoice! There's another reason why America is hated/loved: PEOPLE CAN'T STOP ****ING TALKING ABOUT IT! GOD! To think I fled off-topic... nowhere is safe.

Basing distribution off availabilty of DVD drives? Somebody explain to me why so many games are coming out on DVD; DX2, Thief: DS, and more to come.

EU's member states purportedly have a (voting) populace of around half a billion (if latest members are accepted). Many of the poorer countries won't have machines, but UK (60 mill) France (60 mill) and Germany (80 mill), as approximated examples, will likely have a fair userbase. That's 200 million or so; not too far off the US's population there.

Simple fact is the US gets precedence due to it being a developer/publisher haven. And as said, CE special offers are insane; I hope its an ultra-expensive superpack simply to piss off those trying to make an unfairly large profit.

sounds tempting.

but again, I'm not gonna get myself stuck with the collectors edition until I know exactly what's in it and if it is in fact worth the 80 bucks they plan on charging. I mean, if it has dones of GOOD extras such as the source updated games and shirts or collectables maybe. but if it's just a poster and fancy case then no. I mean if the content in it isn't that fantastic, that 80 bucks is almost worth half-life 2 and Doom 3.

Rupertvdb said:

Hay great contribution to the thread! Thanks for coming!

You shouldnt have a problem getting the colectors edition if you get it when the game comes out. It will be worth it in the long run, with all the source conversions included in it it will save you money buying all the mp parts seperatly.

it pisses me off that you can pre-order the collectors edition. i want this game the day it comes out, and to ensure that i'll probably place a pre-order at my local EB. but what if the CE has some really awesome stuff? i wonder if they'd let me switch my order over to the CE the day it comes out if i want to.

is pre-ordering worth it anyway? i've never had to buy such a hyped up game the day it comes out.. i mean, are a lot of places going to be sold out immediatley do you guys think?

I never pre-order games. Around the time a game is due out ill call around alot of places for different dates and such, and go on the hunt myself. Id hate to pre-order a game, then see it released in the stores but i cant buy it because im still waiting for my copy to arrive, especially with all these delays you dont know when the game is coming.

Frankly, i wont believe Half Life 2 is out until i can walk into a store and punch the box in the face.

anybody see this?

[Removed]
Collectors edition will include full Half-Life 2 (singleplayer\multiplayer), characters toys, posters, Source engine versions of old games (Half-Life, Opposing Force, etc.) and other interesting stuff.

Back