Choose your weapon thread

My wits.

Creepy ass gun-nuts up in here

Creepy? How so? I just have a great deal of mechanical and working knowledge of guns.

I felt this deserved a separate post, just to point out your inconsistencies in logic.

You complain about the 5.56's lack of stopping power. Alright, I'll give you that, it won't tangerine someone like other rounds. You also complain that '9mm has shitty stopping power from a handgun.'

But earlier you posted two .22 pistols. .22.

Are you serious? Yeah, it may be the most prolific round ever, but for crying out loud it can bounce off of people's skulls. Stopping power? You wish. 9mm and 5.56 are blessings compared to .22. Unless we're talking full auto on 25 yard targets, you aren't going to want a .22 pistol over a 9mm if you're trying to kill someone.

You best be trollin'.

Because I will rely on my battle rifle to do the real killing. The .22 is for small game hunting. A pistol should be a weapon used exclusively for fighting your way to your rifle. In addition, the ideal weapon is a .22 Magnum revolver, which is far more powerful than .22LR.

It doesn't bounce off of skulls, either, and in fact is one of the best rounds to shoot someone in the face with because it will bounce around inside and turn their brain to pulp.

I recall specifically saying "no one here has a pistol for taking small game without alerting everyone for two miles, so your point is moot.

Primary weapon: AK 107/108
http://world.guns***/assault/ak107-1.jpg

- Cheap, reliable, powerful, better than the AK 47.
- About 3.5 kg

Secondary weapon: Browning Hi-power
browninghp_2.jpg

- Good accuracy, reliable, better than the 1911.
- Extremely common, easy to find ammo.
- 13 rounds.

You do realize the Hi-Power is a $190 pistol, right? Even the cheapest of pistols that are considered reliable are twice that cost, and anyone that uses it has said it is an unreliable weapon after a lot of rounds/dirt in it. In addition, this is a 'scavenge your ideal weapon' scenario. The accuracy vs. a 1911 is inconsequential, if you're using a pistol outside of 12 yards then you're doing it wrong. 13 rounds of ammunition is easy to achieve with any modern double-stack pistol. Both Glocks and XDs have that same capacity.

You do realize the Hi-Power is a $190 pistol, right? Even the cheapest of pistols that are considered reliable are twice that cost, and anyone that uses it has said it is an unreliable weapon after a lot of rounds/dirt in it. In addition, this is a 'scavenge your ideal weapon' scenario. The accuracy vs. a 1911 is inconsequential, if you're using a pistol outside of 12 yards then you're doing it wrong. 13 rounds of ammunition is easy to achieve with any modern double-stack pistol. Both Glocks and XDs have that same capacity.

I wouldn't say it's unreliable after a lot of rounds, in fact I've heard the exact opposite. There are plenty of perfectly functioning Brownings that are over 20 years old. Also, considering the average joe would prefer a glock over any other pistol means I'd have a lot of competition trying to get replacement parts and ammo.

I wouldn't say it's unreliable after a lot of rounds, in fact I've heard the exact opposite. There are plenty of perfectly functioning Brownings that are over 20 years old. Also, considering the average joe would prefer a glock over any other pistol means I'd have a lot of competition trying to get replacement parts and ammo.

The reason they don't break is no one puts them under high stress, they're a target pistol. I don't know about you, but I'd like to think my life is worth more than 200 dollars. There are far better pistols available with both higher calibers and higher durability. The XD and Glocks have 13+1 for .45ACP with the extended mags, Hi-Power is only available in 9mm and .40S&W. If you get an XD or Glock in 9mm they have 16 and 17 rounds, respectively.

Since when is the Browning Hi-Power an unreliable target pistol that isn't to be taken seriously? It's been the standard sidearm of scores of militaries for decades. Admittedly, the Hi-Power is outdated (having been introduced in 1935) and possibly a bit heavy compared to all the polymer framed pistols around nowadays, but otherwise I've seen nothing but respect for it in gun circles.

Maybe you have your reasons for saying the HP is a dirt-cheap piece of crap, but that's the first such thing I've heard.

Since when is the Browning Hi-Power an unreliable target pistol that isn't to be taken seriously? It's been the standard sidearm of scores of militaries for decades. Admittedly, the Hi-Power is outdated (having been introduced in 1935) and possibly a bit heavy compared to all the polymer framed pistols around nowadays, but otherwise I've seen nothing but respect for it in gun circles.

Maybe you have your reasons for saying the HP is a dirt-cheap piece of crap, but that's the first such thing I've heard.

Oh shit, I do look foolish.

I confused this with another pistol entirely.

I was thinking of Hi-Point pistols, which make cheap shit target pistols for less than 200. I always confuse the Browning Hi-Power/Hi-Point with the Hi-Point company knockoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if the name of the company was to take advantage of the original Browning.

Don't feel too bad, that's far from the most stupid misunderstanding I've seen this week. :D

lame-o: I think your choices make a lot of sense. The AK-108 in particular would be good if you live in a Western country, since it's chambered for 5.56x45mm, which would probably be easier to find than 5.45x39mm.

It's an intelligent (and slightly pretentious) discussion about guns and how effective they would be in a survival situation.

It's an intelligent (and slightly pretentious) discussion about guns and how effective they would be in a survival situation.

Because of gun nuts. Thread is meant to be about weapons. Yankees :rolleyes:

I'd happily take a Steyr Aug and a UMP (the pistol. UMD? UMS? UPS? UMS?) into post-apocalyptica.

Or was that CS:S...

"An expert with a stick is deadlier than a newbie with a rifle" - Something I made up but heard something similar elsewhere.

I'd happily take a Steyr Aug and a UMP (the pistol. UMD? UMS? UPS? UMS?) into post-apocalyptica.

Or was that CS:S...
You're probably thinking of the Heckler & Koch USP, yes?

usp9mm.jpg

Because of gun nuts. Thread is meant to be about weapons. Yankees :rolleyes:
True, but you have to admit that in the kind of apocalyptic scenarios we're considering here, guns would inevitably be the most practical weapons available, while melee weapons such as knives would be primarily used as tools unless no more suitable weapons are available.

A good crossbow could be useful, though.

[Accidental double post]
I meant to edit my last post, but wrote a new one instead, sorry. :/

True, but you have to admit that in the kind of apocalyptic scenarios we're considering here, guns would inevitably be the most practical weapons available, while melee weapons such as knives would be primarily used as tools unless no more suitable weapons are available.

A good crossbow could be useful, though.

Nuclear submarine, I choose you!

Glock 31. 15 rounds of 357 sig for secondary. Great penetration, good accuracy, manageable recoil and great power. Not bad range either. Highly ergonomic.

Glock-31.jpg

For primary I choose the AK-108. Almost no recoil and great accuracy combined with 900 rpm. Low stopping power. Sigh. Oh well. I chose an assault rifle because they are versatile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ak_107

EDIT

Oh f*** it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M240

If I run out of ammo in this thing I will just take something else. There are plenty fish in the sea.

Also I picked a KM2000. Know nothing about knives but it looks nasty. May as well have a trusty knife. I might need it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KM2000

thumbnail_43.jpg

Off topic with the knives an all so I decided to throw in some grenades as well. Everyone loves grenades.

It's durable, the Tanto-style point will punch through car-doors without so much as nicking.

I kinda like japanese blades, but that tip for an all round knife doesn't convince me. Sharpening it requires two different moves instead of just one.

The tip isn't hard to sharpen, I've got one.

If I had to choose one blade, though, it would be a Kukri.
Kukri%2C_karda_%26_chakmak.jpg

Those kind of weren't what you were supposed to pay attention to.

Then you probably should'nt've included them. This is internet, details will be illuminated.

Then you probably should'nt've included them. This is internet, details will be illuminated.

They arnt Kukri, they come with it, the sheath holds all three. One is a small utility knife and the other a steel to keep the blades sharp.

This thread just keeps getting better.

So who else has a knife choice? Might as well go into survival tools as well as weapons at this point...

If you have Kukiri then I'll have Jarate.

Back