Christians want disclaimer on Da Vinci Code

Ome_Vince said:
What does this disclaimer have to do with censorship?
There's nothing so terribly wrong with putting up a disclaimer saying something is fictional, about something that is damaging..and..fictional?
Yes, there is something wrong with officially labeling movies as "fiction" and "nonfiction"... even moreso if it's government sponsored (what lobbyists want). The same people fighting for a disclaimer on this movie would be holding protests all over the place if a similar disclaimer was put on The Passion of the Christ or the Bible (as I joked about earlier)... despite the fact that there is no actual concrete evidence of the existence of God. Also, how would you go about determining if something was "historical fiction" or "history" when all you have to go on is the biased word of the people involved in the struggles? Should "fiction" just be anything that doesn't follow the view of the majority? What happens if a film-maker decides to release a movie about the evils of our government? If the government had control over the labels, they could just slap "fiction" on it to lessen it's impact... which would be a form of censorship. It's a complex issue. IMO, the only realistic option should be limiting it to self-censorship. It shouldn't be a requirement.

VictimOfScience said:
Hahaha! Do we now need a disclaimer on all movies that come out then??
No. Unless, of course, somebody asks for one.... :E

Really the only reasone movie publishers use fictional disclaimers is to prevent somebody from suing them, ie "zomg, you made a movie that clearly represents and ridicules my entire life! Now my lawyer is going to pwn you!"

So it would actually be in their best interests to put a fictional disclaimer on the Da Vinci Code.

OCybrManO said:
Yes, there is something wrong with officially labeling movies as "fiction" and "nonfiction"... even moreso if it's government sponsored (what lobbyists want). The same people fighting for a disclaimer on this movie would be holding protests all over the place if a similar disclaimer was put on The Passion of the Christ or the Bible (as I joked about earlier)... despite the fact that there is no actual concrete evidence of the existence of God. Also, how would you go about determining if something was "historical fiction" or "history" when all you have to go on is the biased word of the people involved in the struggles? Should "fiction" just be anything that doesn't follow the view of the majority? What happens if a film-maker decides to release a movie about the evils of our government? If the government had control over the labels, they could just slap "fiction" on it to lessen it's impact... which would be a form of censorship. It's a complex issue. IMO, the only realistic option should be limiting it to self-censorship. It shouldn't be a requirement.
It doesn't matter who decides whether movies are labeled fictional or not. As long as the media isn't controlled by the same entity, they will (or at least should) expose false labels.

EDIT: sorry, double post. :eek:

Teta_Bonita said:
It doesn't matter who decides whether movies are labeled fictional or not. As long as the media isn't controlled by the same entity, they will (or at least should) expose false labels.

EDIT: sorry, double post. :eek:
... not if FOX News has anything to say about it. :p

We'll make a deal: we'll put a disclaimer about how Da Vinci Code is fiction if you put the same disclaimer on Genesis, Noah, and and so on.

If memory serves, the credits of just about every fictional movie I've ever watched ends in a disclaimer to the tune of "The events and characters in this movie are fictional. Any similarity to any actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental."

Do they want something special?

Steve said:
If memory serves, the credits of just about every fictional movie I've ever watched ends in a disclaimer to the tune of "The events and characters in this movie are fictional. Any similarity to any actual events or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental."

"You're going to hell if you watch this movie...oh wait too late".

Steve said:

i think i've only ever seen that on the end of programs like law & order, csi and so on.

if they want a simple 'this movie is fictional' message just before the movie starts, i'm completely fine with that, actually, i'm completely fine with them adding whatever labels they want to movies and as far as i'm concerned, this is being blown out of proportion by anti-censorship nazi's. :p

i really don't see why/how people make such big deals out of this, don't they have something else to do ? i'd rather sit and there and just think, rather then go off on some [more or less] useless crusade.

Women want a disclaimer on Angry Lawyer - "May cause moments of extreme euphoria"

-Angry Lawyer

Men also want a disclaimer on Angry Lawyer - "may cause moments of extreme euph- er, pain"

:eek:

Christians want an extra disclaimer: "May incite moments of adultery or sodomy" D: D: D:

-Angry Lawyer

When I went to see the Silent Hill movie there was a preview for the Da Vinci Code. During the preview a obese black woman in the back stood up and screamed "It's all a pack of LIES! Every bit of it!"

The theater immediately erupted in laughter.

Da Vinci Code
Fact of Fiction

This two part video series will begin next Sunday...
That was on my church bulletin this morning :|
I wanted to cry.

TheAmazingRando said:
When I went to see the Silent Hill movie there was a preview for the Da Vinci Code. During the preview a obese black woman in the back stood up and screamed "It's all a pack of LIES! Every bit of it!"

The theater immediately erupted in laughter.
Pwnt.

We actually had a guy on the talk show I used to produce to talk about the Da Vinci code.

He basically refuted all the "historical facts" in the book. He said he wouldn't have any problem with it at all, except that he claimed that the author claimed all the information about the church in the book to be true.

from Dan Brown's website Da Vinci Code Q & A:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?

If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html

Right. But basically this guy...I believe he was a priest, was claiming that a lot of these facts were either tampered with (dates wrong, etc.), or not facts at all.

heh well facts and religion arent exactly cosy bedmates :naughty:

but yes I see what you're getting at ..the facts presented in this movie may or may not be facts since they deviate from the supposed "facts" presented in the bible

Well, no. I'm not even talking about the bible.

This guy was saying historical stuff about the Catholic church was being misrepresented in the book.

Like, documented, real historical stuff was being skewed and junk. 'N' stuff.

I dunno. All I know is that this is just giving Christians a bad name. It's a work of fiction, ffs.

Steve said:
Well, no. I'm not even talking about the bible.

This guy was saying historical stuff about the Catholic church was being misrepresented in the book.

Like, documented, real historical stuff was being skewed and junk. 'N' stuff.

There are some historical things in the book that he got somewhat wrong. I don't if any of it was about the catholic church though.

Sainku said:
There are some historical things in the book that he got somewhat wrong. I don't if any of it was about the catholic church though.
True, and much of his analysis of the art in the book requires a pretty big leap of faith too, interestingly enough...:p

CptStern said:
from Dan Brown's website Da Vinci Code Q & A:

HOW MUCH OF THIS NOVEL IS TRUE?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction. While the book's characters and their actions are obviously not real, the artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals depicted in this novel all exist (for example, Leonardo Da Vinci's paintings, the Gnostic Gospels, Hieros Gamos, etc.). These real elements are interpreted and debated by fictional characters. While it is my belief that some of the theories discussed by these characters may have merit, each individual reader must explore these characters' viewpoints and come to his or her own interpretations. My hope in writing this novel was that the story would serve as a catalyst and a springboard for people to discuss the important topics of faith, religion, and history.

BUT DOESN'T THE NOVEL'S "FACT" PAGE CLAIM THAT EVERY SINGLE WORD IN THIS NOVEL IS HISTORICAL FACT?

If you read the "FACT" page, you will see it clearly states that the documents, rituals, organization, artwork, and architecture in the novel all exist. The "FACT" page makes no statement whatsoever about any of the ancient theories discussed by fictional characters. Interpreting those ideas is left to the reader.

http://www.danbrown.com/novels/davinci_code/faqs.html

But there are idiots too, you know...

"Foucault’s Pendulum" by Umberto Eco is a much better (though more demanding) read, and covers a lot of the same territory.

I agree that it is a badly written book, and all this fuss is pointless. These guys are just making themselves look bad by making all these efforts to stop the da vinci code.

Basically... they want to put a label on something that is already labeled fiction, saying that it's fiction.

WTF?

Wanting disclaimers is only going to encourage more people to read the book.

Foucault’s Pendulum" by Umberto Eco is a much better (though more demanding) read, and covers a lot of the same territory.

That looks like my post in IMDB.!!!!

this brings up an interesting moral dilemna ..is there any validity to the claims that this is desrespectful to the church if it's a work of fiction?

They would've had more to croak over with "Evangelion", a TV-Tokyo anime series. It's about the dead sea scrolls, EVA's [captured/contained Angel/Human Souls in machinic armor/restraints], and angels. Each one of the creatures in that show (I should say Angels) are specifically designed after those described in the dead sea scrolls. Correct me if I'm wrong, Anime Guru's.

at what point does artistic licence stray into sacred ground?

It does'nt, and they're should be no boundaries protecting 'sacred grounds' about anything religious for that matter. I mean, how are we going to enjoy our culture and life styles as human beings, if we can't poke fun of it once and awhile?

Back