City 17 in HL2 Looks a bit like the city in the movie Equilibrium.

Corupter

Reaction score
Well hello folks I’ve been away from the forums for awhile and I’m finally back.

Well back to the topic in hand if you look at various screens from magazines or even in the new E3 HL2 Video:

(http://www.linkmania.ro/filerush/download.php?w=e3-half-life-2-fr.avi&t=1084366728)

you will come across pictures of this man dotted around in various places:

http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img7&image=3427.jpg

There are also other points where we see him on tv screens in the E3 Video.

But it looks ever increasingly like There is a Similarity between City 17 and the city out of Equilibrium, almost like there both run by dicators,

I'm sure that there are many theories about whom this man is and what role he may play in the game itself if not any at all, so i guess lets just all disscuss who the hell this man with grey hair and a cunningly innocent face actually is ?

Edit : Im currently trying to find the pic from the movie Equilibrium so that i can compare it, but if any one else finds it first stick it in your reply, it'll save me the job Ta.

Double Edit: I do realise that there have already been threads speculating and/or pondering about the man in question but i'm pretty sure this thread is reletively different, so mods be gentle i bruise easily !

Yeah, HL2 borrows from a lot of things, but certainly not from something like Equilibrium. :dozey:

I don't really think they are the same. Since equillibrium is far along in the future and in that movie they are forced to take a shot each day not to have emotions.

MaxiKana said:
I don't really think they are the same. Since equillibrium is far along in the future and in that movie they are forced to take a shot each day not to have emotions.

Well i was comparing the fact that City 17 has TV screens dotted around with a dictator like person and the city in equilibrium also has TV Screens dotted around showing there Dictator like dude.

aku ankka said:
Yeah, HL2 borrows from a lot of things, but certainly not from something like Equilibrium. :dozey:

Oh so you've made 20 odd posts and you think that enables you to use that smiley in one of my threads .. god whats the world coming to :naughty:

Corupter said:
Oh so you've made 20 odd posts and you think that enables you to use that smiley in one of my threads .. god whats the world coming to :naughty:

Yes, I was rude, sorry :)

No, a postcount of 20 doesn´t make any difference.

*cough* virtual pe.. *cough cough COUGH*

aku ankka said:
Yes, I was rude, sorry :)

No, a postcount of 20 doesn´t make any difference.

*cough* virtual pe.. *cough cough COUGH*

You havn't seen any of my previous Threads have you...

Well your in for a Grooveh Ride :smoking:

Corupter said:
Well i was comparing the fact that City 17 has TV screens dotted around with a dictator like person and the city in equilibrium also has TV Screens dotted around showing there Dictator like dude.

So does the city in orwells 1984... :dozey:

Funny you say that, because I watched Equilibrium for the first time a few days ago, and I also thought of City 17 :)
In the E3 trailer of this year, you see lots of screens with the talking man (presumably Dr.Breen) like in Equilibrium. And also with the resistance against them.

But I don't think that HL2 drew any inspiration from it, but they just both were inspired by the same themes, fascism, dictatorship and suppression I think.

PvtRyan said:
Funny you say that, because I watched Equilibrium for the first time a few days ago, and I also thought of City 17 :)
In the E3 trailer of this year, you see lots of screens with the talking man (presumably Dr.Breen) like in Equilibrium. And also with the resistance against them.

But I don't think that HL2 drew any inspiration from it, but they just both were inspired by the same themes, fascism, dictatorship and suppression I think.

Spot on totally agree with that !!

You know, it would be silly if a hologram (?) had a clean and sharp image soooo...

Edit: referring to the theory of the flakey/spotty-face

MaxiKana said:
So does the city in orwells 1984... :dozey:

Hmm not quite sure wither thats an attempt at sarcasm,

Sorry its my Nature to assume that every comment after quoting something that i've just posted is a sarcastic jab at my ego.

I have a Doctors note for this phycological defect but they wont give me the pills any more, ever since i pushed granny down the stairs :devil:

Equilibrium is pretty bizarre, the writing and story are so juvenile, but I still like it. I think I'll watch it right now...

The movie equilibrium is actually based on many other movies (and tv shows) with a "big brother" additude, most of which derive from the book 1984, written in 1948 by a russian author showing the possible future of a nazi-german government controlled nation.

The only thing I can see similiar of city 17 from equilibrium is the image of huge tv screens with a closeup of big brother, which is an idea that has been in just about every big brother story long before equilibrium.

You ever seen the episode from the original twilight zone - the one with the lady in the hospital that had bandages on her face, and in the end we see that shes beautiful but the rest of the world is ugly...throughout the episode, we saw the same tv-screen closeups of a big brother preaching constantly. Equilibrium didn't invent this idea, and not even the twilight zone did.

tehsolace said:
The movie equilibrium is actually based on many other movies (and tv shows) with a "big brother" additude, most of which derive from the book 1984, written in 1948 by a russian author showing the possible future of a nazi-german government controlled nation.

The only thing I can see similiar of city 17 from equilibrium is the image of huge tv screens with a closeup of big brother, which is an idea that has been in just about every big brother story long before equilibrium.

true but dont you think that, that similarity may have a hidden depth revealing a few details about what City 17 actually is ?

tehsolace said:

You ever seen the episode from the original twilight zone - the one with the lady in the hospital that had bandages on her face, and in the end we see that shes beautiful but the rest of the world is ugly...throughout the episode, we saw the same tv-screen closeups of a big brother preaching constantly. Equilibrium didn't invent this idea, and not even the twilight zone did.

George Orwell was born in India.

tehsolace said:

Yeah that was one of the few I've seen, it was pretty awesome. And the william shatner one is great too....

Back