Civil Defense Drills...

Companion Cube
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQfcmBS9B0&feature=related

This is what a Korean CD siren sounds like, if you haven't heard it. Note the F-16 that flies overhead in the middle of the video. It's WAY loud; you cannot hear anything except for the siren and the roar of the fighter jets overhead.

We're having a nationwide full-on CD drill tomorrow, evacuations and et cetera, with CD workers handing out gas masks.

I've heard this siren for all my life, every year, and they still get me every time. It strikes fear into your very mind.

It's awful, and yet it's necessary. The drills are directly related to our lives.

I think the first time I was aware of the sirens, I was in 3rd or 4th grade in elementary school. I was old enough to be aware that something is very very wrong. Indeed, nothing is more terrifying for a 4th grader to learn in school that North Korean special forces were caught infiltrating and killed several policemen and soldiers, and then to be caught in an civil defense drill as he is returning home, as I was. As the F-16s screamed overhead, their silver fuselage glaring in the sun, and the wail of the horrifyingly loud sirens that never seemed to end, I cannot describe the sheer terror that I felt.

The 20 minutes of utter horror, I was crying in the middle of the street, unable to move, until a policewoman picked me up and carried me to safety. Of course, nothing happened that day. The sirens stopped wailing, the fighter jets stopped roaring, and everything returned to normal. But I will never forget that fear. I changed that day. I became very well aware of my own mortality.

Someone said that war is death; it is inevitable, however much you may prolong peace as you may with life. In the end, death will come. We have to be prepared, even if it means scaring the living shit out of elementary schoolchildren. The sirens are a reminder of the mortality of peace.

I’ve grew up since that day. I'm no longer the little kid crying in the street. Now I realize that peace is nothing but a delusion, a fantasy that we use to create the illusion of safety. There is no such thing as peace, but a state of affairs maintained by the precarious balance of arms that stays the hand of war. There can be no peace as long as the enemy lives.

I don't know why I wrote this. Another rant, I suppose.

I've never told you this before Numbers, but I love you and every almond eyed person in your god-damned country. Stay strong, stay vigilant, stay awesome.

Those sirens really are scary, I'd hate to hear them around here.

Hopefully you'll only ever hear them as part of a drill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQfcmBS9B0&feature=related

This is what a Korean CD siren sounds like, if you haven't heard it. Note the F-16 that flies overhead in the middle of the video. It's WAY loud; you cannot hear anything except for the siren and the roar of the fighter jets overhead.

We're having a nationwide full-on CD drill tomorrow, evacuations and et cetera, with CD workers handing out gas masks.

I've heard this siren for all my life, every year, and they still get me every time. It strikes fear into your very mind.

It's awful, and yet it's necessary. The drills are directly related to our lives.

I think the first time I was aware of the sirens, I was in 3rd or 4th grade in elementary school. I was old enough to be aware that something is very very wrong. Indeed, nothing is more terrifying for a 4th grader to learn in school that North Korean special forces were caught infiltrating and killed several policemen and soldiers, and then to be caught in an civil defense drill as he is returning home, as I was. As the F-16s screamed overhead, their silver fuselage glaring in the sun, and the wail of the horrifyingly loud sirens that never seemed to end, I cannot describe the sheer terror that I felt.

The 20 minutes of utter horror, I was crying in the middle of the street, unable to move, until a policewoman picked me up and carried me to safety. Of course, nothing happened that day. The sirens stopped wailing, the fighter jets stopped roaring, and everything returned to normal. But I will never forget that fear. I changed that day. I became very well aware of my own mortality.

Someone said that war is death; it is inevitable, however much you may prolong peace as you may with life. In the end, death will come. We have to be prepared, even if it means scaring the living shit out of elementary schoolchildren. The sirens are a reminder of the mortality of peace.

I’ve grew up since that day. I'm no longer the little kid crying in the street. Now I realize that peace is nothing but a delusion, a fantasy that we use to create the illusion of safety. There is no such thing as peace, but a state of affairs maintained by the precarious balance of arms that stays the hand of war. There can be no peace as long as the enemy lives.

I don't know why I wrote this. Another rant, I suppose.

you shouldnt be afraid; they usually announce "THIS IS NOT A DRILL" if it wasnt a drill so you have nothing to worry about ...unless they announce that it isnt a drill during drill time then it's panic time

The sirens are scary. Numbers is scarier.

I'm not particularly surprised that South Korea raises their children in fear like this. It actually makes sense, considering how crazy the place is. I mean, almost all of our crazy people running the USA were raised in similar circumstances with bomb drills where they made children hide under the desk and told them it was so the roof wouldn't fall down on them and kill them. Healthy times.

Your sirens sound very much like the sirens they implemented at UT Austin (and other large universities) several years ago, in case of shooters on campus. Oddly I only ever was out once or twice to catch monthly testing (and missed the vast majority of dorm fire drills). It did create a very "duck and cover" atmosphere.

And I'm just barely old enough to have experienced disaster drills in elementary school. We'd go out in the hall and cower along the walls with our legs tucked under our bodies, heads bent over, hands over back of neck thing. We must have been way behind the times or something, because this was in the early 90's. Was never forced to watch the Bert the Turtle video though :p.

you shouldnt be afraid; they usually announce "THIS IS NOT A DRILL" if it wasnt a drill so you have nothing to worry about ...unless they announce that it isnt a drill during drill time then it's panic time

Yeah the non-drill sirens are even worse; an overwatch-esque female voice announces THIS IS AN EMERGENCY ALERT for about

The sirens are scary. Numbers is scarier.

Yeah, this thread might have been a justification for my supposedly unbalanced views. :p

Your sirens sound very much like the sirens they implemented at UT Austin (and other large universities) several years ago, in case of shooters on campus. Oddly I only ever was out once or twice to catch monthly testing (and missed the vast majority of dorm fire drills). It did create a very "duck and cover" atmosphere.

And I'm just barely old enough to have experienced disaster drills in elementary school. We'd go out in the hall and cower along the walls with our legs tucked under our bodies, heads bent over, hands over back of neck thing. We must have been way behind the times or something, because this was in the early 90's. Was never forced to watch the Bert the Turtle video though :p.

Pneumatic sirens sound the same everywhere around the world I guess, prolly because they use the same mechanism?

My local volunteer fire hall goes off every day at 6pm. I've heard it all my life but sometimes I have these auditory hallucinations where I think I hear the siren and its not there at all. The sound is scary yes, and I never liked it. Worse time was when there were tornadoes smacking down in our town and the power went out, and you could see them off in the distance when a flash of lightning lit up. Scariest moment because it only makes you feel like your going to die

Scary stuff numbers! :| Hope all goes well.

Worse time was when there were tornadoes smacking down in our town and the power went out, and you could see them off in the distance when a flash of lightning lit up.
I would shit and cry, that sounds absolutely horrifying.

Siren would have been scary if those guys would have let me ****ing hear it properly. But yeah, can't be nice if you're actually there...

My local volunteer fire hall goes off every day at 6pm.

Had something like that in my hometown. Used to go off every saturday at noon (so much for sleeping in), and then periodically throughout the week whenever there was actually an emergency, which was pretty often. It was on the other side of our block and about 3 places down, so it wasn't exactly quiet either. Eventually we just learned to tune it out; our cats never adjusted. :p

Creepy, similar to Silent Hill's siren.

Back