Computer animation Colleges

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Im not sure where to post this, but Im guessing this is the best place. Im in my 3rd semester of college, and have finally decided that it was a stupid idea to go to CCSU for graphic design since it was more affordable. I really want to do Computer Animation for games or movies (ideally fmv movies for games :E ), and my school doesnt have a degree in it. All they have here is like 2 courses for it, which is retarded.

So my question is, what are the good schools that focus on this type of thing. I want to stay in or around New England if possible, and I saw that RIT has a program thats exactly what I want to do, but its freakin 33 grand a semester (where ccsu is 3 grand a semester... yay for 11X increase!!). How aboud Gibbs? I was looking at their Visual Communication program, and they have Animation stuff in there, but its mixed with other stuff. If 5 grand per term (i think 3 terms is a year) and its only a 2 yr program. However, they dont talk much about the animation, and dont show any galleries or anything, so im afraid that it may be a skimpy program for what I want to do.

Ive also heard of The Art Institutes, but dont know much about them. Do you guys know anything about these schools, or some other ones?

Best thing in my opinion, skip the schools. A degree is fancy, but if you can't do shit then no one will take you. Passing them is the easy part. I suggest learning on your own. Construct small experiments, release them, get feedback, improve and release again. 30% of the people (my figures may be wrong) have been selected from the net due to their work released. CliffyB for example. Or even Minh Le and his Counter-Strike work.

TheGrimSweeper said:
http://www1.sheridaninstitute.ca/programs/0506/pbaaa/

One of the best schools in North Amercia for computer animation.

Many gradutates working in Industrial Light and Magic, Dreamworks, Pixar etc.

hey that's not too far from me ...ya sheridan is one north americans premiere animation schools ..it was set up by disney to churn out people to work for them ...graduate from an animation program at sheridan and you're guarenteed a job ..in fact I think they have something like 90% by year 3

also search out Full Sail ..it's supposed to be good

http://www.fullsail.com/

Full Sail looks awesome. Thanks for that link CtpStern. I also liked Sheridan institute.

those who can't, teach ..
You won't learn more then the teacher can teach you.

In the carreerpath that I am taking wich is conceptart, this applies... I can learn more on the internet, then on an art school. wich feeded my desision of taking a year break from school after this one, and using the year to build my portfolio and get my name out, instead of going to art school.

Uhh I heard horror stories about FullSail, whenever I hear people talk about them I get a chill. I say get acquainted around www.conceptart.org there's a whole forum section dedicated to schools. And to the poster that says that homeschooling works, I beg to differ, partly because in the school atmosphere you may lose around 100,000 dollars for the four years of schooling, but youll gain so much on meeting deadlines, getting connections: people in the business, animators, illustrators, and etc. Also youll be constantly engaged into a competitive atmosphere, whilst getting critiques. Its worth it just to go school because in the long run it'll pay off other than wasting time sitting home trying to figure out how to do this and to do that.

But right now the best/ good animator school tends to be Ringling in nice Sarasota Florida located right under Tampa. Theyre pouring money into the 3d animator major.

Here is a helpful link maybe to guide you:
http://forums.awn.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=school

Thanks for that link nofx. But what kind of stories have you heard of full sail? I was looking at some of the jobs that their graduates get, and pretty much every big time blockbuster movie and game has had a full sail graduate lol. LOTR, Spiderman, Call of Duty and a whole page of them. And I have tried learning myself. Going on forums, doing tutorials, buying $60-$80 books on it... and its just not the same as having someone over your shoulder helping out. Not to mention it seems that they have some serious hookups.

I attend ringling school of art and design, they are right now starting up a minor in concept art.

The school is really good and lots of big companies come by looking for fresh talent.

only downside is the hefty price tag. around 25,000 a year. I'm gonna be up to my ass in loans by the time i'm out

How long is the program at ringling? And what kind of degree do you get? At full sail its a two year bachlors degree, and costs about 58 grand. Ill be up past my ass in loans.

The minor in concept art is really cool though.

Back