Connect the dots for me

T

Therumblefish

I'm new to the forum and need some help in understanding the full story line of the games. I have seen the sticky's and whatnot and have sifted through the forum for posts and links related to this... I'm just looking for a breif summary of what happened between the first game and half-life 2. Does anyone have a link to a thread or site that answers some of the following questions for me?

=========================================================

*How did the vortigants end up working with the humans? Were they just killing everyone in the original game because they didn't expect to get sucked onto earth when the accident happened at the lab?

*The areas outside the cities are infested with headcrabs and such, I'm assuming that the must have come from the origianl infestation from Black Mesa and have saturated the world outside the cities? But how can this be if the area was bombed?

*Where did all the other new creatures come from? Antlions? Poisonous headcrabs? And what happened to the weird dog-like things from the first half-life?

*Whats up with the giant metal walls that seem to be expanding through the city and crashing everything?

*If the soldiers from the original half life retreated out of black mesa and sealed it off andit eventually got blown up, how did Eli Vance get out from way down in the labs?

*Who does the G-Man work for and how does he manipulate time and keep Freeman in stasis on an interstellar subway car?

========================================================

I know that some of this stuff is meant to be a mystery and might be explained in the next additions to the series, but have some of these questions been answered already? My memory on from the first game might be a little fuzzy, and maybe I missed some info while playing Half-Life 2. Would anyone care to explain what facts have been presented for sure?

Vortigants were apparently under the control of Nihilanth. Now it seems they work for the G-man.

Portal storms happened after Gordon killed the Nihilanth. Xen aliens ended up on Earth. Is that what you wanted or...?

When the Combine invaded and the portal storms happened, I guess the antlions just came with one of 'em.

And the big wall things are apparently consuming resources and minerals from the Earth.

Noone knows about the G-man really.

Eli got past the soldiers somehow, with his daughter I think.

The dog-like things are there by the way. They just happen to remain off-camera in HL2. And if you, Barney, Rosenburg and those other three scientists could get out, why not Eli? He's a man, just like you or me, he puts on his trousers one leg at a... never mind...

I'm certain Gman doesn't manipulate time itself, that would be stupid. He merely alters Gordons perception of time.

Earth is one big wasteland inhabited by all kinds of freakish aliens thrown in via the portal storms.

I don't get that altering Gordon's perception of time idea.

He was able to remove a piece of lint from Alyx and drop it to the ground during the 'frozen' time period. It still seems to me like he froze time.

That's true, I had forgotten he picked that piece of rubble off her shirt. Hmm... that bears further contemplation. Also, the Vortigaunts don't work for the Gman specifically, he manipulates them just as he manipulates everyone else.

The Gman seems to have taken the side of the rebels, since he is in communication with certain Resistance cells, but that is by no means a sure thing. More likely, the rebels (and their Vort allies) don't have a clue who he is any more than Freeman does, but since he periodically appears and gives them intelligence and/or equipment (think Colonel Cubbage and the fortuitous arrival of the RPGs just in time for their base to come under aerial assault), they have learned to trust him. Well, not trust, but at least not to look a gift horse in the mouth.

I based the vortigaunt's allegiance to the G-Man on the line "We serve the same mystery" (?).

I'm not 100%, but it seems to indicate some direct control, not simply manipulation.

Where are you guys getting all this?

I have always viewed the G-man as an enemy. He was partially responsible for the resonance cascade at Black Mesa because he was the one that ordered that the new sample was used in the test. He obviously has some sort of power but he stands back and watched things rather than using it to help all thorugh half-life 1. He forces Freeman to work for him and keeps him in suspended animation. He sends Freeman into city 17 with no instructions or weapons and watches things again.

I guess that him sending Freeman into city 17 with the intent of bringing down the citadel shows that he doesn't approve of the combine, so are we to believe that "the enemy of my enemy is my friend"?

If anyone wants to share with me a link to somewhere that explains things with some quotes from game designers or in-game dialogue it would make me mucho happy.

Oh yeah, someone explain to me the teleportation deal. I know that Xen is used as a passage way when teleporting from one spot to another, but why?

And what's this about the combine wanting Xen? Where did that come about?

Eli should be dead cause there's no way he got out of black mesa on his own, and I still don't know where the hell the Antlions came from...

Vagrant said:
"We serve the same mystery" (?).
wheres that qoute from I don't remember ever hearing it, where can I find the full qoute?

"Oh yeah, someone explain to me the teleportation deal. I know that Xen is used as a passage way when teleporting from one spot to another, but why?

And what's this about the combine wanting Xen? Where did that come about?

Eli should be dead cause there's no way he got out of black mesa on his own, and I still don't know where the hell the Antlions came from"-rumblefish

aYou seriously don't know about any of that?

I have always viewed the G-man as an enemy. He was partially responsible for the resonance cascade at Black Mesa because he was the one that ordered that the new sample was used in the test. He obviously has some sort of power but he stands back and watched things rather than using it to help all thorugh half-life 1. He forces Freeman to work for him and keeps him in suspended animation. He sends Freeman into city 17 with no instructions or weapons and watches things again.-rumble fish

And also g-man didn't order the crystal, the adminstrator ordered it A.K.A. Breen. Also G-man really dosen't show preference to one side or another he is nethier enemy nor ally. the only thing he seems to be definitly against is the combine.

I thought there is a Gman sighting where he is talking to a scientist and you can hear him say something like "I want you to use the new sample in todays test" and the scientist replies "we can't do that, it's not safe!"

I don't think so but I geuss I'll take your word for it. I'm almost certain it was breen though play through the very begining of HL and you'll hear the scientist say they adminastrator demaned we use this sample or something like that.

Samon said:
I'm certain Gman doesn't manipulate time itself, that would be stupid. He merely alters Gordons perception of time.

Earth is one big wasteland inhabited by all kinds of freakish aliens thrown in via the portal storms.

Depends on your definition of manipulate, in this context.

"Lolz like, he is t3h owner of time, and manepulates it" is wrong and stupid.

"He is under time itself, but manipulates it for his benefit" is more like it.

I don't see how its impossible all he has to do is cause a small warp bubble, he dosen't have to effect all of time just time in a certain area.

So what happens when you hit the edge of the bubble? Because your hand is in one time-frame and your legs in another, do you explode violently? Because that would be cool.

*How did the vortigants end up working with the humans? Were they just killing everyone in the original game because they didn't expect to get sucked onto earth when the accident happened at the lab?
The ones in BM were under the control of the...controllers. And scared shitless at that. When they were freed they made peace.

*The areas outside the cities are infested with headcrabs and such, I'm assuming that the must have come from the origianl infestation from Black Mesa and have saturated the world outside the cities? But how can this be if the area was bombed?
They came threw the portal storms which raged globaly after Nihilanth died.

*Where did all the other new creatures come from? Antlions? Poisonous headcrabs? And what happened to the weird dog-like things from the first half-life?
Xen.

*Whats up with the giant metal walls that seem to be expanding through the city and crashing everything?
They are gathering resources for the Dark Energy reactors I think.

*If the soldiers from the original half life retreated out of black mesa and sealed it off andit eventually got blown up, how did Eli Vance get out from way down in the labs?
He's smart, he found a way.

*Who does the G-Man work for and how does he manipulate time and keep Freeman in stasis on an interstellar subway car?
We don't know who his employers are or if he can manipulate time.

Jintor said:
So what happens when you hit the edge of the bubble? Because your hand is in one time-frame and your legs in another, do you explode violently? Because that would be cool.
LOL definately but that wouldn't happen cause if you noticed gordon couldn't move when G-man seemed to stop time.

lastHOPE_lambda said:
LOL definately but that wouldn't happen cause if you noticed gordon couldn't move when G-man seemed to stop time.

Yes he could.

May be eli made some changes to their genes later after the black mesa incident. That could be the reason behind the vortigants keeping on mentioning abt eli. :naughty:

lastHOPE_lambda said:
wheres that qoute from I don't remember ever hearing it, where can I find the full qoute?

Take a look back and reflect on "Route Kanal". So you goin down some train tracks, and you jump down into a canal, full of trash, and your swimming along right? You see a train container/ cargo container up ahead. You climb up a ladder and drop into a hole in the top and you see a citizen and a Vortigaunt powering a TV. After the dude does some talking you hear the Vort say "We serve the same mystery".

Hell you hear Vorts say it ultiple times if you "talk" to them with the use key.

Back