Conspiracy Theory

Delayed to be hyped more?

• Total voters

Lahire149

Reaction score
Who thinks that valve delayed HL2 just hype it some more/get it out there and be more popular?

No. Valve are above such things.

No to mention the fact that they didn't need to hype the most anticipated sequal ever any more.

Think about it. Compared to other games out there, Half-Life 2 had almost no advertising at all until about 3 weeks to release. Meanwhile, I was seeing Doom 3 posters plastered all over buses...

It already had the most hype in 2003. Delaying it would just lower the hype machine.

Considering that the delays actually DE-Hyped the game... i'd say no.

hi_ted said:
Think about it. Compared to other games out there, Half-Life 2 had almost no advertising at all until about 3 weeks to release. Meanwhile, I was seeing Doom 3 posters plastered all over buses...
Uh, E3 had lots of hype/ads and what not.

bliink
it actually hyped it more for me

Lahire149 said:
bliink
it actually hyped it more for me

There was more of a buzz in the media and industry when they did the E3 showing in '03 than when they released it. And thats the buzz that counts.

bliink said:
There was more of a buzz in the media and industry when they did the E3 showing in '03 than when they released it. And thats the buzz that counts.
true, true

delaying the game had more to do with improving the game and less to do with hyping it me thinks.
yes, i was getting impatient with the delays but i did notice the quality of screen shots pick up too...so it was a good trade off :)

I vote no...because really, who would think delaying it would hype the mass. Granted there are a few (me, lahire, etc) that got more out of it, but that's just a silly business strategy, and Valve aren't really that dumb....

I actually heard someone say doom3 had better graphics than HL2

well let me say this: Bullshit!

bliink said:
Considering that the delays actually DE-Hyped the game... i'd say no.
Quoted for truth.

The hype in 2003 was not normal. Everybody was going nuts. 30 September seemed so close for such a great game. What were we wrong :(

Definately not...the delays annoyed alot of people. It had the adverse effect, pissing off an entire fan base i would hardly consider as an attempt at further hyping the game. I don't see your logic.

Back