Could this be true?

lans

Reaction score
http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_messages.php?board=314159267&topic=15969844&page=0

Ok I don't know if this should be put here, but what the hey. A guy on IRC, is claiming he has found away using the leaked source code from a year back, to hack and play HL2 that he has download from steam, and will be releasing it via torrent on Sunday. Has anyone else heard this? because I personally doubt it (would Valve be that stupid to have not thought of this), or is he just some tool wanting to start more HL2 hype.

This is what the guy has typed. Has anyone else heard this too on IRC?

it's bullshit, nothing that valve has preloaded in encrypted form has been decrypted, and probably won't be anytime soon.

I generally don't believe random guys on IRC, but yesterday there was someone actually talking about the "gaben" password thing. Then the gold fiasco happened. For all we could know, this could be true.

Oops, can someone move this to rumours and speculation, I posted here by accident.

It can't be the final HL2 version because the only thing that's preloaded is textures

If this is true. HL2 will been the most convoluted game in development since Daikatana.

I realy dont think its that easy to "combine" (what a nice word choice) the HL2 preload and the leaked alpha.

for a start the GCF ONLY contains texture data, im sure he is having a fantastic time stareing at 2D images, its bs

Well, seeing as the only things that were preloaded were textures, sounds and the like, it's pretty much impossible for a person to be playing HL2, even if by some stretch of the imagination they were able to use the leaked code as I way to hack into the pre-loading files.

well, some textures are viewable with the beta, but I think there's nothing more that can be done with the preload

I think he was talking about modifying the source into tricking steam to make it download the ENTIRE game. But I doubt that is the case though.

DeltaBlast said:
I think he was talking about modifying the source into tricking steam to make it download the ENTIRE game. But I doubt that is the case though.

I doubt the entire game has been uploaded to the content servers yet.

blahblahblah said:
If this is true. HL2 will been the most convoluted game in development since Daikatana.

I have the same feeling. Diakatana was killed by it's hype, too many accidents during development. HL2 is following the same footsteps which scares me sometimes, but let's hope this is just false.

Back