Crytek lays the smackdown on next-gen consoles

After upgrading to a DX10 capable rig (Need to upgrade my 2 year old mobo too, unfortunately), I might not have to upgrade for 5 years

it seems like console games are purposely dumbed down in general quality because the people who buy the games don't have a clue as to what's happening. :/

My opinion is almost completely polar to yours - pc gamers being far more insular and unaware when it comes to games while console users (at least the ones I know) enjoy a wider variety of better quality, orignal and innovative games.

So let me get this straight, Crytek laid the "smack" down, because they were to lazy to code for other API's? Color me impressed...
I made the title sensational because I could and it would get people interested. It seems to have worked well enough.

In all honesty, I know this isn't going to last. They'll make it for X360 and PS3 at some point.

I didn't mean visually. I should have been a bit clearer - many games that look more appealing/original/innovative/fun.

Which in the long run, is so much more important and its pretty clear what Crytek are aiming for. Visuals. That is all I've seen with Crysis and to be honest, I couldn't give a shit. I'd pass up Crysis anyday for something more innovative and fun.

Bull Goose Loony
^^^rofl, what game exists that LOOKS better than crysis?

Seriously.
e3-2006-new-gears-of-war-screens-20060509031016166.jpg

mass-effect-20060512020812888.jpg

:thumbs:

mmmmmmmmm Mass Effect :)
Yes indeedy. This thread is such a PC fanboy wankfest. I love PC gaming, but come on people, consoles do things well too. It's time to get over the stereotype that they're for children.

Ironically, it's almost always children that hold these views.

It's time to get over the stereotype that they're for children.

Most 360 owners I know are 20 or younger. Most game players I know over 25 are PC gamers with perhaps some old school consoles.

Yes indeedy. This thread is such a PC fanboy wankfest. I love PC gaming, but come on people, consoles do things well too. It's time to get over the stereotype that they're for children.

THANK YOU! Thats what my original post was getting at!

Most 360 owners I know are 20 or younger. Most game players I know over 25 are PC gamers with perhaps some old school consoles.
That's funny, I must have typed 'children', but you read it as 'young adults'. 16-20 year olds are not children.

I dont follow.

Are you saying they dont want to make a DX9 version?

And how would that be marketing. Im pretty sure saying "Hey, we dont give a shit about you console gamers" isnt a very good marketing statement for their game.

What I'm saying is that they aren't going to port over their DX9 version of Crysis to consoles. In the quote it just talks about them not being able to get their DX10 version up and running on consoles, which is perfectly understandable. It's pretty much "We would only port Crysis over to consoles if we could have it running at the MAX graphics settings on DX10" because they want the "ideal experience"

I consider it indirect marketing, mainly just making the point that "PC's are uber and everyone shouldn't bother with the consoles" which I think is bullshit for them to even imply.

Right now, the next-gen consoles (excluding Wii, sorry... Not that I'm implying it's not next-gen but that it's just not relevant to my argument) are more powerful than 90-95% of the PC user market, obviously over the next few years that will radically change where 90-95% of mainstream gaming PCs are more powerful than consoles.

Just going back to my point... Crysis has a total possibility of getting ported, if they port the DX9 version (which looks f*cking fantastic still). I'm going to guess though that Microsoft is going to use Crysis for their new Games for Windows marketing campaign next year with Vista (cause I hope everyone realizes that DX10 won't be available for WinXP... You have to upgrade to Vista to get DX10)

Agreed!

That's funny, I must have typed 'children', but you read it as 'young adults'. 16-20 year olds are not children.

I view any age group who acts childish and immature as children. Just because some of them play mature rated games doesnt mean they are mature. 16 year olds cant drive, 17 year olds cant join the military and 20 year olds cant even drink. With some (possibly many) exceptions, I dont think people are any more mature than children until they have been given the responsibility of living on their own without help, and are forced to mature in both action and thought.

But this is a discussion for elsewhere.

I consider it indirect marketing, mainly just making the point that "PC's are uber and everyone shouldn't bother with the consoles" which I think is bullshit for them to even imply.

I understand your point now and mostly agree. But I dont believe that it is marketing in any way. If they were a PC company who also sold desktop computer and such, then it might be. But as a game developer, they want to open themselves to the largest markets. And kicking out the entire console community would be a really really dumb idea if they could help it. I think something else is going on.

I like this.

Why? Because of all of Sony's bullshit talk about the so called amazing power of the PS3 and how Cell would cure AIDS and give daily blowjobs. Where did we hear that before? (hint: PS2)

I don't hate consoles, I love Nintendo and Microsoft's cool too. I just hate Sony's arrogance and hyping.

My opinion is almost completely polar to yours - pc gamers being far more insular and unaware when it comes to games while console users (at least the ones I know) enjoy a wider variety of better quality, orignal and innovative games.
I chuckled a bit, cuz the opposite is true for me. (RL pc gamers, not forum nooblets)

Any DX9 builds running on the PS3 or X360 will look better than DX9 builds running on PCs.

*runs*

Run faster. :sniper:

So what Crytek is saying, is that you'll need a 5000 dollar computer just to run the game. Not a smart move. I don't care if they release it on consoles or not, it's not smart to say that the next-gen consoles are too weak. I bet that most people have a computer that's relatively the same power as the Xbox 360. So listen to crytek and save up for that 5000 dollar computer.

So it's a hobby of sorts to keep a high-end gaming rig. What's the big deal? And you don't need 5K to do it either.

Which in the long run, is so much more important and its pretty clear what Crytek are aiming for. Visuals. That is all I've seen with Crysis and to be honest, I couldn't give a shit. I'd pass up Crysis anyday for something more innovative and fun.

I give plenty of shits about graphics. And all we've seen so far are trailers showcasing graphics. Face it: if you're looking for innovation, you're just going to have to look to non-FPS games. XIII excluded, of course.

PC 4ever.

:D

Dig it.

FTR nobody I know prefers consoles or PCs. All of my friends have a PC or two. All of my friends have a console or two.
All of my friends play both their consoles and PCs regularly.

I don't understand what is with console/PC allegiance.

It doesn't really matter, it's just quite nice that crytek are focusing on pushing the PC's capability. So in conclusion, DX10 Crysis ftw.

Didn't ATi say they could update the api through a patch?

You all should be lucky there are games like these driving hardware to new heights.

Oh shit, a game I won't be able to play on PC, I now can't play on console either D:

Despite the fact that it'd already been all but confirmed for PC only and noone was really holding out any hope for a port D: D:

Also I had little interest in the game to begin with D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D: D:

(yeah, I'm really not going anywhere with this)

I give plenty of shits about graphics. And all we've seen so far are trailers showcasing graphics. Face it: if you're looking for innovation, you're just going to have to look to non-FPS games. XIII excluded, of course.

Did he actually say XIII was innovative? He's being sarcastic right? Tell me i'm slow right?

MuToiD_MaN said:
Face it: if you're looking for innovation, you're just going to have to look to non-FPS games.
*cough*gameforwhichthissitewascreated*uncough*

EDIT: Ignore

Well console next-gen is the same as PC next-gen.. You can't buy a computer 2 years after a console is released and expect it to play the nex-gen, you need to buy a computer when the next gen computer stuff comes out (DX10). Everyone who has 6800GT or whatever should've waited until DX10 came out, because they just have the best hardware of last-gen, it's not next gen :|

What I think, computer gen goes up every 5 DX versions.. next gen after 10 will be 15, then 20..

That's what I'm doing. Waiting until a (decent) DX10 card is released. My PC should be able to hang on until then.

Warbie, yes the one's you know. But the majority of console gamers aren't "'Ardkore" like you and your friends, in fact the majority are probably rather casual. That's the whole point in consoles after all, it's a box that you can pickup, plug-in and play. You don't need good knowledge of the hardware and how the software works. I'm not bashing consoles here, I'm just saying you can't really put the sterotype on PC gamers are insuler when a majority of console gamers will happily eat up FIFA '06, '07, '08 etc not really caring that there's no real difference between the games. Console's have their market share of "hardcores" too though, like you, and like certain types of PC gamers are happy to try different things.

I guess what I'm saying is that the division is not between console and PC but between Casual and Hardcore.

Yea, that was definetely a thin rumor.

Anyone who knows about how DX10 works would have known that it couldn't have worked basically because no card is even DX10-capable yet (yet a console released last year magically can get a software upgrade and voila?)

This will be the same for PS3 and Wii... Neither will be able to support DX10 100%.

This will be the same for PS3 and Wii... Neither will be able to support DX10 100%.
PS3 and Wii use a modified open gl api to render there graphics. So of course they wont support Dx10 even 1%!

Well you never know with Sony. ;)

To my defense though for not doing my homework before posting, it's totally possible that Sony could change their dev environment over to DirectX as nothing in the hardware is stopping them from doing it (hardware is API independent)

Also, could you show me some info on Wii using OpenGL? I didn't find anything on Wikipedia about it, so perhaps you could add something to the article so everyone knows about it :)

Well if Sony did do that...well Microsoft owns DirectX they'd have to license it!

Anyway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct3D_vs._OpenGL
"OpenGL, on the other hand, has implementations available across a wide variety of platforms including Microsoft Windows, UNIX-based systems such as Linux and Mac OS X, and game consoles by Nintendo and Sony such as the PlayStation 3 and Wii. With the exception of Windows, all operating systems that allow for hardware-accelerated 3D graphics have chosen OpenGL as the primary API."

and some extra random info,
What many people may not know is that the team that created the GPU for the Wii also created Flipper for the Gamecube. That company was originally known as ArtX. What's important about ArtX is that almost all of them came out of SGI, the famed Silicon Graphics, the creators of the OpenGL Application Interface.
ATI bought ArtX.

Back