cs, only multi.

as reliable as the next person. all signs point to it which is why they said that. but it hasn't come from valves mouth yet AFAIK

Jess Cliffe made that statement on CSNation but everybody seems to ignore it or write it off for some reason.

Maybe they mean it's the only source conversion included with HL2?

Maybe they mean it's the only source conversion included with HL2?

Or maybe they are trying to be blunt, and it is the only hl2 multiplayer for now..

Soon they will have tf2, but cs,dod,hl:source will be the first multiplayer components.. so i see it..

Lets hope im wrong :)

Actually you're probably right, Jess Cliffe said it in an interview a while back.

i want to play around with the manipulator in mp. Would hl:source include the weapons from hl2 or still contain the same stuff?

punjabpolice said:
i want to play around with the manipulator in mp. Would hl:source include the weapons from hl2 or still contain the same stuff?
They could make it available to us pretty easy but they might not.

Well, if all we get is CS:S at launch they better at least give us the SDK at/near release so the mod community can really get down to business.

Or someone can just mod it in :) That seems to be the answer to everything these days and its really a piss off.

Vital-Life said:
Well, if all we get is CS:S at launch they better at least give us the SDK at/near release so the mod community can really get down to business.

yea if there truly isn't any hl2mp mode, the community needs to make one.

and thats going to be a hell of a lot easier if valve includes the source map files for the SP levels so we have a base for a hl2mp mod.

It is probably the fact that many of us don't like CS and we don't want to believe that is the only MP shipping with HL2 (I did enjoy the original HL DM though).

Chris_D said:
Jess Cliffe made that statement on CSNation but everybody seems to ignore it or write it off for some reason.

I remember a statement made on CSNation that, on closer inspection, turned out to be rather ambiguous (as usual). Is that what you're referring to? Link?

Well, as alot of us have been trying to say for a long while, it looks extremely likely that Valve are not including any other multiplayer components with HL2. It would be nice if they just came out and gave us a straight answer, but you know Valve. :rolleyes:

they, like many people on these forums, misinterperated the statement they said about it being the only OTHER multiplayer GAME included WITH HL2.

but if valve didn't have a hl2mp mode, wouldn't they have said so by now after the repeated questions? but they dodge the question. only 2 reasons for this.

1. they are just delaying inevitable disapointment of hl2 fans so they stay interested and buy the game. or 2. they do have something

of course HL2 with have its own multiplayer portion. cant people just think for themselves about how stupid they are to think that CS:S is the only multiplayer. Its not even HL2 related.

McFly said:
...cant people just think for themselves about how stupid they are...

i prefer to let other people think about how stupid i am.

:sniper: :dork:

They might have something. I think the reason gamespot is sayin that there's no other mp then CSS is because if you guys remember E3 this year, gabe said something along the lines of "This is hl2s mp" and then showed the CSS bink. I do think that valve will include a DM type game with hl2 weapons and stuff.

Wait, I'm retarded. So does this mean ther will likely NOT be a MP game consisting of the HL2 universe. Now that is ghey! in the fullest sense of gheyness. I could careless about cs:source - it's the same addictive bullshit we've been playing for years with new graphics. ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, what a bummer.

it will have its own multiplayer, people just think the only multiplayer is CS:S because they are CS fanboys.

McFly said:
of course HL2 with have its own multiplayer portion. cant people just think for themselves about how stupid they are to think that CS:S is the only multiplayer. Its not even HL2 related.
I thought the same as you for some time now, but I'm starting to change my ways. It just doesn't make sense that Valve is keeping their yapper shut about multiplayer. It's not SO earth-shattering that Valve wants to keep it to themselves before launch, is it? I doubt it. And usually when a new game is announced multiplayer is one of the first things the developer releases information on to get players interested in it. What did Valve give us? Information on shit we've been playing for years. ;(
The only "new" thing coming out that we know about is TF2. And all that we know about it is that it exists.

yea, but these comments seem to indicate the possibilty, at least, that cs may be it. It won't be the end of the world if it is, but I'd definitely be disappointed. (on a side note, I thought cs:source was going to be a retail product, something not given to us for free if we've bought hl2 - is this wrong - been away from the boards a lot in the last 5 months)

Vital-Life said:
I thought the same as you for some time now, but I'm starting to change my ways. It just doesn't make sense that Valve is keeping their yapper shut about multiplayer. It's not SO earth-shattering that Valve wants to keep it to themselves before launch, is it? I doubt it. And usually when a new game is announced multiplayer is one of the first things the developer releases information on to get players interested in it. What did Valve give us? Information on shit we've been playing for years. ;(
well, they said about a month ago no more previews would be released because they want to keep the good parts of HL2 secret. Thats the way i would want to have it. This way, when you jump into multiplayer, you are shocked at all the features from Source they actually implememted into it.

Well. If there is no hl2mp, VALVe wouldn't have been so quiet about saying "There is no MP in hl2 except than cs:s"

VALVe has only showed us cs:s, not told us that it is the mp of hl2

dis said:
yea, but these comments seem to indicate the possibilty, at least, that cs may be it. It won't be the end of the world if it is, but I'd definitely be disappointed. (on a side note, I thought cs:source was going to be a retail product, something not given to us for free if we've bought hl2 - is this wrong - been away from the boards a lot in the last 5 months)
i dont get this, it doesnt make sense. Valve would never do that. There is no reason to believe Hl2 will have no multiplayer.

McFly said:
well, they said about a month ago no more previews would be released because they want to keep the good parts of HL2 secret. Thats the way i would want to have it. This way, when you jump into multiplayer, you are shocked at all the features from Source they actually implememted into it.
Maybe, but that just seems dumb to me. I'd rather be surprised about single player rather than multiplayer.

but it doesnt mean we cant be surprised about both. we still know nothing about HL2's story, or even all the enemy's we will fight.

This seems strange. Because Valve weren't sure whether they were going to include CS:S with Half-Life 2, yet they were planning a SP-only version and SP/MP version. If CS:S was the only multiplayer then the only thing that would change between the versions would be the ability to play mods.

McFly said:
but it doesnt mean we cant be surprised about both. we still know nothing about HL2's story, or even all the enemy's we will fight.
True, but what I'm saying is - at this point we know more about single player than multiplayer, and that just shouldn't be in my book.

but what made HL 1 is the singleplayer. Sure it will have MP, but promoting SP is probably the best tactic. But if you think about it, they havent even done that. They pretty much are just showing us features in the game that Source allows. They havent released the story or anything. they just like to preview the guns and physics capabilities.

McFly said:
They havent released the story or anything.
They've been hinting at where the story might be headed and showing bits of some of the new storytelling techniques they are using in HL2. They don't want to reveal the story. They want the player to experience the story from the point of view of the main character... not read about it.

i dunno, but im getting ready to petition valve to release the SP source just in case, so we the modding community can get busy making some city17 themed MP. itll be a bitch though to try and establish one definitive hl2mp mod.

poseyjmac said:
i dunno, but im getting ready to petition valve to release the SP source just in case, so we the modding community can get busy making some city17 themed MP. itll be a bitch though to try and establish one definitive hl2mp mod.
dont worry, it will have its own multi. ill bet you on it. :LOL:

McFly said:
but what made HL 1 is the singleplayer. Sure it will have MP, but promoting SP is probably the best tactic. But if you think about it, they havent even done that. They pretty much are just showing us features in the game that Source allows. They havent released the story or anything. they just like to preview the guns and physics capabilities.
Promoting SP is the best tactic? Absolutely not. HL1 singleplayer was great, but multiplayer is what kept it alive. The same will be true with HL2. Single player I know will be great but multiplayer is Valve's meat and potatoes. That's why they claim to be so involved with the mod community.

McFly you talk as though you know for a fact that HL2 has it's own MP, but the simple fact is that none of us know for sure. Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Valve not to include HL2 themed MP, but it makes even less sense for Valve to stay so quiet about the multiplayer aspect of such a huge game release in a time when MP sells games.

We really don't know for sure, but it's looking really unlikely that there will be a multiplayer component other than CS:S.

Vital-Life said:
Promoting SP is the best tactic? Absolutely not. HL1 singleplayer was great, but multiplayer is what kept it alive. The same will be true with HL2. Single player I know will be great but multiplayer is Valve's meat and potatoes. That's why they claim to be so involved with the mod community.
Singleplayer and third party mods sold HL. HLDM wasn't really anything special. All it did was toss HL character models and weapons from singleplayer into a map together.

OCybrManO said:
Singleplayer and third party mods sold HL. HLDM wasn't really anything special. All it did was toss HL character models and weapons from singleplayer into a map together.
Maybe early in HL1's life. But games like DoD, CS, TFC, Sven Coop kept a lot of people involved with HL, including me.

it would be unprecedented afaik. i mean, what game in history has been released, where the MP component that comes with the game was in a totally different universe than the SP? its so weird.

Back