cs, only multi.

Also, this list of Quotes was taken right from Halflife2.net's own "Valve Speaks" pages.

They are submitted in order from General 1 and General 2, the other pages without relative information as far as I could see. Also, remember that I don't know when these were posted and no timetable was apparent. They could be old, and possibly outdated, but if so, they were never corrected.

Will there be music played during single player and multiplayer games?

Gabe Newell: Yes there is music for single player. We haven't said anything about multiplayer.

Will there be a co-operative mode?

Gabe Newell: We aren't doing a cooperative mode, but a couple of MOD teams want to do one so we'll work with one of them.

The physics in the single player look absolutely fantastic, but how will physics work in multiplayer? Won't there be a problem with sending all the physics information packets to all the players? Are you perhaps scaling the physics engine down for multiplayer?

Gabe Newell: Well, the simple answer is that there are client-side and server-side physics behaviours. You use client-side when maintaining cross-client coherence isn't important. This cuts down network traffic while maintaining the appearance of physical simulation throughout the world.

So the physics appear to the player just like they do in the single player game without scaling it down, but objects that aren't required to have a correct placement in the world (like soda cans, small rocks, and so on) will be handled client-side, but bigger things (like a crate that's thrown on a player with the gravity gun, or a mattress falling down to block a hole in the ground) will appear in the correct spot for all players?"

Yahn: Yes, it's definable per-object, so exactly what's client vs. server simulated is tuneable.

Is the hl2 single player lip sync technology utilized in multiplayer communications in hl2? Simply put does the in game models mouth lip sync with yours when you speak?

Gabe Newell: Yes. We use a cheaper algorithm in multiplayer.

Will ragdoll physics be incorporated into multiplayer as well as SP?

Gabe Newell: "ragdoll" physics is a term used to describe physics being used to animate dead bodies. It is physics reduced to a simple presentation of one client behaviour, and is usually implemented client-side (i.e. it can't affect multiplayer or game state). In Source, the whole point is to incorporate the physics into the game. Physics works in single player and multiplayer.

Will you be able to shoot out vehicle's tires in single or multiplayer?

Gabe Newell: There's nothing in the physical simulation that would preclude this, but we don't do this. You could also fail springs or shock absorbers trivially, but we don't do this. Exploring more complex vehicle dynamics is the sort of thing the MOD community will do well.

This seems to point to MP play for HL:2.

And, if that weren't enough, here's a quote from Chris_D, in an article right here on Halflife2.net's own pages.

07/04/04 - Half-Life Decade or Half-Life Decay? - By Chris_D

" From what we know about Half-Life 2 it will have a very similar formula. It has a story written by novelist Marc Laidlaw, the original and expanded design team, the same characters and I’m sure, the same attention to detail. The game will also have a similar multiplayer experience to it, one with improved net code and even more support for mod teams. Already we have over 300 mods in development, some will make it, most won’t but still for a game that is unreleased with only a modelling application as yet while we wait for the full Software Development Kit, that is still an outstanding following already."

That was one paragraph of the article, the only one dealing with multiplayer. I realize that this is one person's point of view and there is no official confirmation to back it up as far as I can see.

Well, I've done a bit of looking and that's just around here. To me it seems as though Valve is indeed including a multiplayer mode but lately have been keeping it a secret. Here's hoping they spring the big surprise when the game is released.

when asked about co-op, they said they were not doing it, but they didnt say no MP.

The only reason I think that there might be MP for HL2 is because CS:Source seemed pulled together at the last minute almost...

I know it wasn't, but...still.

Also, since it's a port...it seems kind of odd.

I dunno, we'll have to wait and see.

Doesnt anyone remember that interview where they told us the problems they had with trying to get the manipulator into MP because the the lag with the physics we would get.

maybe CS:S is the only MP but its bigger and better than we thought, maybe some levels are in city17 with battles that have CT versus combine. with drivable vehicles. ehe i wish

poseyjmac said:
maybe CS:S is the only MP but its bigger and better than we thought, maybe some levels are in city17 with battles that have CT versus combine. with drivable vehicles. ehe i wish
^^^^^^^^that idea :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
:sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
no

McFly said:
^^^^^^^^that idea :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
:sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper: :sniper:
no

:sniper: my one sniper kills all your snipers cause he has wallhacks.

McFly said:
when asked about co-op, they said they were not doing it, but they didnt say no MP.

I read a few quotes about co-op and the latest news i've read was that Sven Co-op was doing it in some way. So that Valve could focus on the rest of the game I assume. I've never played the old Sven co-op game. Actually, I've never played Counter-Strike either, but i've seen it played and had no interest in that style of game. If it comes iwth HL2, then I'll likely try it on a new engine, but I'm not getting excited about it.

BTW - HL2 preload is supposed to start around 10:00 EST if my calculations are correct. Watch out for spoilers!!

i wish sven wouldnt do it, they just made a screwy mod where you run around and kill cartoons. I wish Valve would do it themselves.

McFly said:
i wish sven wouldnt do it, they just made a screwy mod where you run around and kill cartoons. I wish Valve would do it themselves.

Sounds screwed up. I'd like to se a Serious Sam-type mod wher eyou just run around grabbing ammo and killing things. I like the mindless mayhem once in a while.

McFly: seriously, ignore zany insanity map packs and play some of the military campaigns if it annoys you that much, because I completely sympathise with your position. Saying that the entire mod's purpose is to "kill cartoons" is exactly the sort of stereotype that's killing that community off...

Dunno why so few people try and play through the original HL though- only problem with the current SC conversion is the damnable revistable maps, as currently there's no way to cache specific situations (like previously flipped switches, moved pushables or broken breakables etc.) like you can in singeplayer. Apparently, HL2 will support that- meaning proper, seamless co-op, I'd hope.

Meh, even if SC doesn't pull through, and even if Valve doesn't, I'm sure I'm ultimately going to rely on the "amateur" community for all the best content. But don't leave us hanging Gabe...

the problem is that no one plays the SP campaign in sven because its just so buggy. it comes to the point where it is unbearable to play. if Valve were to make it, im sure we can expect better quality work with people who have a better understanding of the Source code.

Yeah; Sven's SP campaign (well it ain't SP if more people are playing it, but you know what I mean) is too easily screwed to hell by beginners or outright lamers. Admittedly it's great fun when you have a private server with people sensible enough to know the game's limits, and I'm sure the team will pull off a great HL2 co-op conversion, but we can't deny that everyone on the entire planet would've preffered Valve to produce their own co-op. Except id, maybe :LOL:

Here's hoping though that Valve continues to be supportive to the mod community. Cheers!

*breaks glass*

Back