CS:S Beta for CZ Owners Only? Lame.

Ghoetic said:
I mean LOL. You guys think valve want's money lol. valve wants only do make costumer happy i mean like they think like this all who have buyed cz = supported valve white money they think that they will make the costumer happy for buying the game and they give it to cz owner. And what if all who owned cs whould beta test then the whole world whould have "BETA TESTED!!!!!!" it and "BETA TEST ISENT FOR 180000 PPL??? IT IS JUST FOR FEW NOT SHOULD 1249250105 PLL BETA TEST?. Haha.

What the?...

White money?

Contrary to what I said in a previous thread that I wouldn't buy CS:CZ, I have done, but I bought it off eBay (in CD key format) for £10.

The way I justified it to myself was simple... if the beta runs for a month then this is basically the fee for a MMORPG for one month and that seems okay to me, but the fact is Valve are bastards for doing this.

Now that I've bought it, watch them make it an open ended beta!

/me sits here with a key for the 'premier pack' (namley games I dont want) given to me with my XT, and a copy of CS:CZ in the hopes of one day playing a game on the source engine.

Lame, cheap and ass way to earn money, but a company's gotta do what a company's gotta do.

And a HL2/CS:S fanatic's gotta do what a HL2/CS:S fanatic's gotta do.

I find it funny how all of these people are complaining that they are going to be forced to buy CZ to play the beta. Just think about it for a second, if Valve was going to allow for a standard beta testing selection phase then do you really think that it was likely that you would be picked? You seem to be assuming that you were guaranteed to beta test before this when really you weren't. This is really a favour to the majority of people out there who normally wouldn't have had a chance at beta testing it.

Whining crybabies... ;(

You're all acting like the beta was promised to us all long ago as an open beta and suddenly changed to CZ owners only. It's a fücking bonus! A little extra!

Before yesterday, there was no mention of any beta AT ALL, and suddenly you're all acting like you have the god given right to play it!

Now that Valve gives a little extra (whether it's meant to attract buyers or not, is irrelevant, it's a bonus, no matter what) you still find something to WHINE about. If they'd give you a million dollars, you'd still find something to bitch about. Shut the fück up.

Besides, you're a complete retard if you're gonna buy CZ (for full retail price) just to play the CS:S beta for a few weeks if you're not planning on playing CZ after that. I doubt sales will rise much, if you're hardcore enough to buy a game for a betatest, you have to be such a CS fan that you already have CZ.

Is it really THAT HARD to grasp that Valve wants a closed beta, like most beta's are!? Stop acting like participating in a betatest is a constitutional right and it was suddenly hijacked by CZ.
CZ owners make a nice select closed group for Valve to test CS:S with, and even if they're just trying to sell CZ, it doesn't matter, cause it's just not relevant.

And no, I do not own CZ neither do I plan to ever buy it.

ARRGGHH IM ANGRY! lol j/k. I see where you are coming from but at the same time I still think it should be an open beta..

I have to ask, why should you people get to beta test CS:S? What are your reasons? Have you done anything for VALVe other than buying a game 3-6 years ago and have been playing it/its mods since?

Shuzer said:
Play CZ, craig. It's really quite nice.

Agreed. All these ppl bitching it really don't have a clue. CZ is far better than CS 1.6 both in looks, feel and handling. It's cheap as chips as well atm, you can get it from www.play.com for about £13 delivered. :D

PvtRyan said:
You're all acting like the beta was promised to us all long ago as an open beta and suddenly changed to CZ owners only. It's a fücking bonus! A little extra!

Before yesterday, there was no mention of any beta AT ALL, and suddenly you're all acting like you have the god given right to play it!
Who ever said anything remotely close to "We all have the right to play the CS:S beta"? All we're saying is that Valve (and related entities) has enough testers already to make sure this game works on 99% of the computers that meet the requirements and that it is a publicity stunt to get people to buy CZ. It's not unprecedented. Many companies (especially ones that make MMORPGs) do similar things. A while before any outside testers get chosen they announce that an account on the old game (or a CD-KEY if it doesn't use accounts) will get you into the new game's test months before everyone else so that people that are excited about the new game will buy and/or sign up for the old game and effectively pay them to be in the beta test. It's an old trick and it works. It's smart from a business POV, but it gives the kids with more money yet another thing over the kids that need to save up their money for when the game is actually released.

I'm not bitter that they are doing this. In fact, I'm glad that I will be able to play a game on the Source engine early (after a wait of about 3/4 of a year) for $10-$15. I'm just explaining the logic of using CZ as a prerequisite instead of just doing the usual sign-up and random selection process of most public beta tests (or the professional tester route). If you can't possibly see that as a way of squeezing a little more cash out of the CS community then you must be blind or retarded.

I know a lot of people that passed on CZ because they knew a Source version of CS was either going to be made soon or that it was already almost done. Now, with another small delay being hinted at (fall instead of summer) they announce that CZ players will get to be testers for CS:S. Now it's either:

1) Buy CZ and you can start testing CS:S in Summer.
2) Wait until Fall and be forced to split your play time between HL2 and CS:S since they will be released at the same time or wait even longer to play one of them.

It's a tempting offer... one I'm going to undoubtedly succumb to.

Farfege said:
CZ is $40 on STEAM but only $30 here with free shipping. I just got it. I couldn't help myself...

http://www.censuspc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
Ouch, $30? You could probably "buy it now" from ebay for under $20 including shipping... but there are even better deals than that if you look hard.

So its a win-win scenerio.

People who normaly would never have been allowed to beta test are being given a chance (maybe even guaranteed) to test this game, and Valve makes money in the process.

Its a win-win situation and I see no problem with that. It just seems that people can't stand it if it is also a win for Valve, thats the problem here.

I don't know - I might be playing HL2 too much to go out and buy CZ just so I can have a early beta account, but if it gets to the point that leagues start picking the beta up for play and tons of people are playing it, I'll pretty much have to I guess.

The Mullinator said:
So its a win-win scenerio.

People who normaly would never have been allowed to beta test are being given a chance (maybe even guaranteed) to test this game, and Valve makes money in the process.

Its a win-win situation and I see no problem with that. It just seems that people can't stand it if it is also a win for Valve, thats the problem here.

yeah.
i have signed up for betas a fair number of times and never got selected.. i hope this time is different.. but who knows.. pple running out to buy CZ makes me think i will stay un-lucky :(

PvtRyan said:
Whining crybabies... ;(

Now that Valve gives a little extra (whether it's meant to attract buyers or not, is irrelevant, it's a bonus, no matter what) you still find something to WHINE about. If they'd give you a million dollars, you'd still find something to bitch about. Shut the fück up.

Besides, you're a complete retard if you're gonna buy CZ (for full retail price) just to play the CS:S beta for a few weeks if you're not planning on playing CZ after that. I doubt sales will rise much, if you're hardcore enough to buy a game for a betatest, you have to be such a CS fan that you already have CZ.

Is it really THAT HARD to grasp that Valve wants a closed beta, like most beta's are!? Stop acting like participating in a betatest is a constitutional right and it was suddenly hijacked by CZ.
CZ owners make a nice select closed group for Valve to test CS:S with, and even if they're just trying to sell CZ, it doesn't matter, cause it's just not relevant.

QFE!

This post just made my day, thank you PrivateRyan :)

PvtRyan said:
Whining crybabies... ;(

amen man, amen.

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
amen man, amen.

My sentiments exactly, stop whining and moaning, if you don't want to get it or can't afford it, then you get Counter Strike: Source is a few weeks after. Where is your problem?

They said they wanted to keep the numbers under control to limit the amount of data they got back, and the CZ players are going to be active.

There's a sh!tload of animosity in this thread!!

[rant]CS has always been free for those who bought HL. That's fine. I bought HL and OPFOR and I've played CS to death. CS:S is a completely different situation:

1) It's based on the Source engine which was developed at huge cost in-house by VALVe
2) It is a conversion of the origial CS, which was free until the creators sold out to VALVe for $$$'s. If you want to blame anyone for CS not being free, blame them.

Basically VALVe are catering to the main stream CS community with the CZ - CS:S Beta/ What this means is the people who bought and played HL legit, not the leechers who downloaded it and are now complaining beacuse WON is being replaced by STEAM (effectivly ending the cheap-arse leechers free gaming). It's a shame for the people who can't afford the £13 to buy CZ, but for those who have and hence SUPPORTED VALVe (yes, support in the business world is all about spondulics, surprise surprise) it's a bonus. I bought my copy of CZ a couple of days before the CS:S Beta anouncement but I bought it for the imporvements over the tired, stagnated CS1.6. CZ was the first step towards the future of CS. CS:S is the next step. Get with the program or fall behind. Whining isn't going to make a difference.[/rant]

OCybrManO said:
Who ever said anything remotely close to "We all have the right to play the CS:S beta"?

Well... shouting 'OMG it si teh l4me, we canot paly teh b3ta!!~11!' hints to someone here thinking they had the right to play any beta in the first place. How can it be lame if you're not allowed to play it? It's Valve's decision what closed group they pick, like a limited signup for MMORPG's. I'm not going to 'it's lame' when I'm not selected for World or Warcraft, I just fell out of the group, which was determined by a lottery in this instance, and Valve chose to do it with a group of customers. And I don't belong in that group, tough shit, but life goes on.

All we're saying is that Valve (and related entities) has enough testers already to make sure this game works on 99% of the computers that meet the requirements and that it is a publicity stunt to get people to buy CZ.

Even if Valve has a 100 testers on a 100 unique and different systems, it's nowhere near the number of CZ players who all have unique and different systems. And what about a stresstest for Steam prior to the release of HL2?

I'm not bitter that they are doing this. In fact, I'm glad that I will be able to play a game on the Source engine early (after a wait of about 3/4 of a year) for $10-$15. I'm just explaining the logic of using CZ as a prerequisite instead of just doing the usual sign-up and random selection process of most public beta tests (or the professional tester route).

Like I said earlier, in what respect is this different than a lottery? The end result is still a closed select group. And it's a nice treat to paying customers of CZ, who are being a bit screwed over by Valve since there are two retail releases of CS so soon after another. And why would you have more right to get it (you have CZ but lets assume you don't have it) than a paying customer of CZ? What have you done for Valve to support them?

CZ owners have a lot more right to participate in this test than people who don't have it.

Even if there's a commercial motive from Valve behind this to get people to buy CZ, it's not relevant. Because it's a completely FREE oppurtunity, which classifies it as a GIFT.

They could either have made it a lottery for like 20,000 people, or make it a gift to customers of CZ to repay them for supporting Valve.

If you can't possibly see that as a way of squeezing a little more cash out of the CS community then you must be blind or retarded.

Well... Valve can squeeze all they want then, but I doubt sales will go up much, if any.
For example, lets assume when you buy Warcraft 3 now, you get to betatest a special beta of World of Warcraft. What are the chances of someone being so interested in WoW to buy Warcraft 3 for it and not having Warcraft 3 already? Close to zero.

I would call you absolutely mad if you're gonna buy CZ for retail prices to just play the beta for two weeks and not play CZ after that.

And maybe a small group of hardcore fans who don't have CZ yet for whatever reason, will buy it. But that's a really small group, the main group is the casual gamer. Who will most likely will not even know about this beta deal. And since there won't be any stickers on the boxes of CZ in the stores saying 'BUY IT NOW AND PLAY COUNTER-STRIKE: SOURCE', the casual gamer will never be tempted to buy it for CS:S but will go home, install it and will have the nice surprise of a spot in the CS:S betatest. I'd call it a good thing, this little treat to loyal customers. Too bad we spoiled HL owners who just bought a game 6 years ago feel raped when we don't get to play everything we see. Like a whining kid.

I know a lot of people that passed on CZ because they knew a Source version of CS was either going to be made soon or that it was already almost done. Now, with another small delay being hinted at (fall instead of summer) they announce that CZ players will get to be testers for CS:S. Now it's either:

1) Buy CZ and you can start testing CS:S in Summer.
2) Wait until Fall and be forced to split your play time between HL2 and CS:S since they will be released at the same time or wait even longer to play one of them.

Since when is there a delay? Last time I checked, Valve still plans to go gold in August, and so that 'fall' most likely means September, which was known for like 2 months already.
And it's not like that beta will soften up pain assuming it's not going to be released until something like October, since the beta will commence in two weeks and last for only two weeks.

PvtRyan... you just said everything I wanted too, but am way to lazy to type. Well done :)

I totally agree with you btw

James Isaac said:
They said they wanted to keep the numbers under control to limit the amount of data they got back, and the CZ players are going to be active.

yeah well with the news of the beta pple are buying CZ now just to get into the beta
this forum is a small example of it.

2 weeks is the official word. I guess it might go on longer if they find any bugs which require further stress testing to ensure reliablity.

pff.. can they be anymore vague, later this summer? now we still don't know nothing :/

I've just bought CZ from sendit.com for £12.99, not because of CS:S, I'm old enough to have learnt patience, but because my 9 year old son loves to watch me play. I have to deny him this small pleasure because of all of the swearing on the servers by immature grunts. Now he'll be able to watch without the fear of him shouting F*&^ C*&^ to all of his 9 year old friends on the street!

Shuzer said:
Play CZ, craig. It's really quite nice.

I've just had a quick go, and I have to say the bots are pretty decent. Quite enjoyable game :)

Still looking forward to the beta though!

Vormulac, im sure in this messed up world, he already knows every swear word in the book :( i hate it when you see a young kid (2-10) swearing. I'm only 15 myself, but i do find it quite shocking when little kids are swearing, especially when their brothers and sisters are laffing at the fact they taught their little syblings to swear :|

Vormulac said:
I've just bought CZ from sendit.com for £12.99, not because of CS:S, I'm old enough to have learnt patience, but because my 9 year old son loves to watch me play. I have to deny him this small pleasure because of all of the swearing on the servers by immature grunts. Now he'll be able to watch without the fear of him shouting F*&^ C*&^ to all of his 9 year old friends on the street!

Why not just mute any destructive players?

Shuzer said:
Why not just mute any destructive players?

Kids learn the words anyway, do it sooner so he knows not to say it. ;)

BTW sh00000zer I will own you in CS:S, we will def need to play each other. :sniper: :naughty:

DiSTuRbEd said:
Kids learn the words anyway, do it sooner so he knows not to say it. ;)

BTW sh00000zer I will own you in CS:S, we will def need to play each other. :sniper: :naughty:

If you don't own me in CZ, I don't see how you'll own me in CS:S.. :rolleyes: :D

I don't know if anyone has adressed this yet or not... But I was planning on buying a cd-key off ebay and just downloading CZ off of Steam in order to play CS:S. I thought someone might have mentioned you not being able to play CS:S without an 'actual' copy of the CZ... I definitely don't want to go out and buy CZ for $20+ when I could just buy a cdkey for $13 (I know I'm cheap.) Does anyone know what the deal is?

Azrael, as long as the seller has good feedback and you see other customers happy with the same purchases, you'll be fine.

You don't need a physical copy of CZ to play it on Steam.

Shuzer said:
Azrael, as long as the seller has good feedback and you see other customers happy with the same purchases, you'll be fine.

You don't need a physical copy of CZ to play it on Steam.

because as it says in the F.A.Q. CS:S will be added to the 'my games' section of Steam for all CS:CZ users!

Shuzer said:
If you don't own me in CZ, I don't see how you'll own me in CS:S.. :rolleyes: :D

Bullshit, I will nade spam you, make sure I will lag you to death, so your frames are under 10 :naughty:

Its a good marketing scheme though

CZ was way under expectations so it was not selling, i bet valve say a huge increase in sales after this anouncement

I wouldn't bet on it. Only real enthusiasts for hl2/Source Engine are really going to be affected in my opinion. My mates who only play CS for CS, they don't give a shit about a new version of the game.

But yes, its still a neat little marketing trick.

nc17 said:
Its a good marketing scheme though

CZ was way under expectations so it was not selling, i bet valve say a huge increase in sales after this anouncement

If you look around you would notice it was in the best selling PC games charts for some time and still is in some cases.

Back