CS:S hiccup when interacting??

S

sixfinman

Does any1 else have a short (<second) hiccup the first time they interact with an object on a map (ie. shooting a barrel)? thanks in advance.

yeah man ... i get that all the tiem ... even when i creat my own server ... i dont know what it is ... i have a fast system too :( ...

hey does anyone know any theads or sites with css pics or vids? thanks

ELIXIR said:
hey does anyone know any theads or sites with css pics or vids? thanks

Just normal CS:S pics? I've got a thread going with some nice shots right now:

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41994

As for the bit of 'lag' between gunshots and physics, yes this has been discussed many, many times before. It was discovered that somehow this actually makes the physical calculations in a multiplayer game less stressful (resulting in an improved framerate). It has also been stated many times that this will NOT be the case in HL2 or it's mods, if the mod creators so choose.

-UnmarkedOne

I think there's a fart in the source engine. It happens to me and a LOT of other people too. It's irritating. I guess it will be fixed in a patch soon.

A barrel is moved on everyones computer if you interact with it (as opposed to say a glass, which is client side physics only). The lag in its movement is just that, lag with the server

Tiddalick said:
A barrel is moved on everyones computer if you interact with it (as opposed to say a glass, which is client side physics only). The lag in its movement is just that, lag with the server

Close, but not quite. Like Platinum said, even if you host your own server (which is obviously going to be a 0 ping situation), you get lag on physicalized objects. This was discussed way back when the CS:S beta started and most everyone got a taste of this less-than-fun part of the Source engine. It really makes no difference, though, and I had completely overlooked it a few days after recieving CS:S.

-UnmarkedOne

well why the hell wont they bother to fix it... will it be that way in hl2 ??? because thats not what i call RESPONSIVENESS ... if you ask me ... :( *ughghg* hope they fix it or have already!!! :O :frown:

UnmarkedOne said:
It has also been stated many times that this will NOT be the case in HL2 or it's mods, if the mod creators so choose.

-UnmarkedOne

READ THE POSTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD :angry:

Robinhood_01 said:
READ THE POSTS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD :angry:

oops missed that part ... not like me ... sorry ... how come some people dont get this problem and some people, like me, do ?

i found turning off anti lag really helped, "cl_lagcompensation 0", if u can get pings of 20-50 on nearby servers u dont need it really, smooth as butter now.

I would imagine that it probably wouldn't do that in HL². I mean when I make my own server and play around, i'm still getting like 50 ping. I think since your playing on a localized machine when you run HL², you shouldn't be bet getting any of that weird lag when you interact with stuff such as tables and barrels. But who knows? Not that I would know or anything.

mrxskinny said:
I would imagine that it probably wouldn't do that in HL². I mean when I make my own server and play around, i'm still getting like 50 ping. I think since your playing on a localized machine when you run HL², you shouldn't be bet getting any of that weird lag when you interact with stuff such as tables and barrels. But who knows? Not that I would know or anything.

lol, well that's good to know, maybe it's a CS:s specific issue. Thanks everyone for your replies, I was starting to worry I was the only one (==> hours of pointless trouble shooting). I'll try that lagcompensation switch too.. I wonder if this will have an effect when I start my own server (which is where I discovered the "feature") :smoking:

The problem IS your ping/latency, create your own server and the effect is greatly reduced, if not eliminated. The problem has to do with prediction. Turn cl_prediction off sometime and you will see what's actually happening in the game instead of what's being client-predicted about your movement and actions. Here's the simplest explanation I can give you: When you shoot a barrel on your client, you have not actually shot the barrel yet on the server. Once the server receives the message that you have fired, THEN the barrel moves on the server and the server tells you about it. The time difference you see between firing and the barrel moving is because your shots are displayed by the client instantly with prediction but the barrel is not predicted, your client has to wait for the server to tell you it has moved.

dscowboy said:
The problem IS your ping/latency, create your own server and the effect is greatly reduced, if not eliminated. The problem has to do with prediction. Turn cl_prediction off sometime and you will see what's actually happening in the game instead of what's being client-predicted about your movement and actions. Here's the simplest explanation I can give you: When you shoot a barrel on your client, you have not actually shot the barrel yet on the server. Once the server receives the message that you have fired, THEN the barrel moves on the server and the server tells you about it. The time difference you see between firing and the barrel moving is because your shots are displayed by the client instantly with prediction but the barrel is not predicted, your client has to wait for the server to tell you it has moved.

yeah ... i know that ... thanks

Deos it only happen the first time you shoot something?

If it only happens THE FIRST TIME then it is a memory issue...
You would have to know about swapping and memory... LIKE ME!!!

it happens no matter how long im in the game ... :( but i do have pc 2700 memory ... 1 gig ...

Steven Q Urkle said:
i guess this is why no HL2dm. the physics are pretty bad online.

when i creat a server it acts the exact same way though!! grr stupid cs:s

Back