CS:S map downloading problems

Fuse Kazuki

Reaction score
When I try to download a map like fy_iceworld_css it says something like Cannot find the map. Disconnecting. Do I need a client or something to fix this?

because they are.

they prolly pirated the whole thing anyways.

Wha..?

BigWalnutZ said:
illegal map...? sheesh.
Illegal how? Are we not allowed to play any other maps besides those supplied by Valve? Or is that feature not enabled yet, or something?

Are all servers not running the official maps hacked servers (as in using a hacked version of CS:S/source)? Wouldn't that be incredibly easy for Valve to kill if that were so?

Any enlightenment on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I'm having the same problem by the way...

maps can't be made w/o the SDK...AFAIK it hasn't been released yet...therefor they must be made with a stolen sdk

BigWalnutZ said:
maps can't be made w/o the SDK...AFAIK it hasn't been released yet...therefor they must be made with a stolen sdk
Interesting. I don't remember every having to download a SDK in order to make maps for Half-life. All I needed was WorldCraft (I believe thats the right name). And if I am not mistaken WorldCraft will also be used to make Source-compatible maps (although it will be an updated version).

Now, granted, Source is a whole new engine, so things certainly could have changed, but it doesn't make any sense to me. And yes, the SDK has not been released yet.

EDIT: All I remember the SDK for Half-life containing was code to allow mod-makers to writer their own, or modify the existing code. The texture files were already on your computer, and I can't think of anything else you would need to make a map (a simple map, at least).

Pi Muh Ro i believe his nam eis ...he is much more informed with this than me...i am just relaying what has been said in MANY other forums here.

BigWalnutZ said:
Pi Muh Ro i believe his nam eis ...he is much more informed with this than me...i am just relaying what has been said in MANY other forums here.
I don't doubt your telling what you know, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Especially the fact that Valve is allowing hacked versions of CS:S to work over Steam.

EDIT: Thanks for responding, by the way.

Totalkrusher said:
I don't doubt your telling what you know, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Especially the fact that Valve is allowing hacked versions of CS:S to work over Steam.

EDIT: Thanks for responding, by the way.
they definately are allowing cracked versions. there are a b unch of people using steam-like setups to run cs:s without buying the game.

Those maps are illigeal, moron. :upstare:

Thanks for reporting yourself, though. :imu:

Seriously, those maps suck. Don't even bother downloading them. They don't work because unofficial maps are still not allowed.

I use those maps all the time, if I bought the game... why can't I play availlable maps? If you try joining an iceworld or custom map server the server usually has a url to get the map in its name. Check that out.

Totalkrusher said:
Interesting. I don't remember every having to download a SDK in order to make maps for Half-life. All I needed was WorldCraft (I believe thats the right name). And if I am not mistaken WorldCraft will also be used to make Source-compatible maps (although it will be an updated version).

Now, granted, Source is a whole new engine, so things certainly could have changed, but it doesn't make any sense to me. And yes, the SDK has not been released yet.

EDIT: All I remember the SDK for Half-life containing was code to allow mod-makers to writer their own, or modify the existing code. The texture files were already on your computer, and I can't think of anything else you would need to make a map (a simple map, at least).

Hammer/Worldcraft was part of the SDK. All Hammer is does is provide a nice graphical interface for writing the text files that contain the map information. The compile tools (also part of the SDK) are then used to make it playable.

Valve haven't released an SDK, Hammer or the compile tools. Those people making maps are using the Hammer and compile tools from last year's stolen build.

Stop throwing names about ffs, especially you pointblank of all people.

Fuse Kazuki, last year half life 2 was leaked with the update hammer tool - the people who made the fy_iceworld_css used the leaked tool to create the map.

Therefor you will get no help here.

There's a (3rd party) complier avaible. Cant remember the guys name (he's well knowin in the mapping / modding world). I think Chris_D was in the IRC room when it was being talked about. The program was / is legit.

Don't quote me, i cant quite remember lol

Yombi said:
There's a (3rd party) complier avaible. Cant remember the guys name (he's well knowin in the mapping / modding world). I think Chris_D was in the IRC room when it was being talked about. The program was / is legit.

It's not possible to make a 3rd-party compiler without access to the source (which was also in the stolen build last year)*

*for the smartarses out there - yes, it's technically possible, but would require so much time, effort and skill that the ends don't justify the means.

Pi Mu Rho said:
Yombi said:

It's not possible to make a 3rd-party compiler without access to the source (which was also in the stolen build last year)*

*for the smartarses out there - yes, it's technically possible, but would require so much time, effort and skill that the ends don't justify the means.

Yombi said:

too late

hmm guess this could be call spam so I should add my own views on this.

Any custom maps made with the leaked hammer are a. Illegal as valve has asked, nicely I may add, us to not use the leaked files and b. offen really bad maps.

how can it be illegal to ADD content as long as you don't chage anything existing?

because that content is made with illegal tools. You should not be in posession of those tools in the first place.

For crying out loud. Lots of noobs who come in here thinking we are half-life 2 earth (World, whatever). Look, it's simple:

When half-life 2 was leaked, the Hammer editor thingy got leaked with it. People who downloaded the illegal build (Who were breaking the law), thought it would be funny to make maps with it. Those maps sucked anyway, but VALVe thought that it wasn't very nice that this was happening. So they asked nicely if anyone would not use the hammer to create maps (Given it was an old, sh*tty version anyway). People did not listen and maps were made. We, being very impressive friends with VALVe, like to stay in their good books, so we don't condone ANYTHING to do with the stolen build, including maps, the Half-life 2 beta, and other things for that matter.

Also you lot should be banned from these forums for downloading the illegal maps. Oh, and we should throw you into the garbage - I mean half life 2 world site.

Have a nice day.

dekstar said:
For crying out loud. Lots of noobs who come in here thinking we are half-life 2 earth (World, whatever). Look, it's simple:

When half-life 2 was leaked, the Hammer editor thingy got leaked with it. People who downloaded the illegal build (Who were breaking the law), thought it would be funny to make maps with it. Those maps sucked anyway, but VALVe thought that it wasn't very nice that this was happening. So they asked nicely if anyone would not use the hammer to create maps (Given it was an old, sh*tty version anyway). People did not listen and maps were made. We, being very impressive friends with VALVe, like to stay in their good books, so we don't condone ANYTHING to do with the stolen build, including maps, the Half-life 2 beta, and other things for that matter.

Also you lot should be banned from these forums for downloading the illegal maps. Oh, and we should throw you into the garbage - I mean half life 2 world site.

Have a nice day.
Who said anyone was downloading the maps? Fuse Kazuki was just asking why he could not download any custom maps. He didn't know they were illegal... just calm down...

pixartist said:
how can it be illegal to ADD content as long as you don't chage anything existing?
Maybe before posting totally uneducated responses, take a minute to read the replies.

I never got a message stating to not download the maps. No one ever told me it was illegal(from valve otherwise I don't care what you say). I never got a disclamer. I don't see what harm I'm causing since it's coming out the 16th anyways.

BigWalnutZ said:

Who really gives a shit though, it's not hurting anything to download and play those maps.

Soundwave said:
Who really gives a shit though, it's not hurting anything to download and play those maps.

Thank you for that, for some reason it is found immoral to play something you have paid for.

There's a whole lot of point-missing going on here.

who cares unless Valve says it's wrong? show me where before you tell me anything else.

I don't need to. The maps were made with tools from the stolen build. If you have any morals at all, that should tell you all you need to know.

Pi Mu Rho said:
There's a whole lot of point-missing going on here.

I wasn't trying to say halflife2.net should let people openly distribute beta and "illegal" map info and locations here. I understand there's a reason you guys do that. I'm just saying as a whole, there is nothing wrong with downloading a map like scoutzknivez for CS:Source, it hurts nothing.

Soundwave said:
I wasn't trying to say halflife2.net should let people openly distribute beta and "illegal" map info and locations here. I understand there's a reason you guys do that. I'm just saying as a whole, there is nothing wrong with downloading a map like scoutzknivez for CS:Source, it hurts nothing.

If it has something to do with HL2.net looking bad I'm sorry. I don;t want it to look like that one forum that starts with an mand ends with a t.

Back