CS:S Meca vid shadows

P

Pigglet

I don't know if this has been discussed but in the meca vid's there was only one solid shadow on the player, even when they would be inside dust2 tunnels and there would be 2 lights from diff angles there still was only one shadow, also another thing was the shadow even tho was exposed to light from a bulb was still very dark.

it seems the shadow has no relation to the lights inside, maybe just the sun?

don't know if its been discussed just thought was worth mentioning and if its gonna be fixed?

thnx, :monkee:

It's the same in many HL2 screenshots. Casting multiple shadows is probably very tricky and probably won't be "fixed" (added) in the near future.

Meca vid??

Edit: Btw, Neverwinter Nights has multiple real-time shadows that go in different directions, so it's not really anything special :imu:

There's only one way to fix it! Tell VALVe about it! They may have missed it or something!

They havn't completely implemented fully dynamic shadows into the game. Source is capable of it, but they just didn't do it in CS:S and, as far as we know, HL2. There arn't ment to be more shadows

Evanmontegarde said:
hl2 duznt hav dynanic liting so it cant do dat

HL2 has dynamic lighting.
HL2 does not, however, feature dynamic shadowing.

Anyway, it's not a limitation on the Source engine. It's just not used in CS:S and HL2, from what we've seen.

Hmm I beg to differ..

Dammit I need to start quoting or get faster at posting...

Shuzer said:
HL2 has dynamic lighting.
HL2 does not, however, feature dynamic shadowing.

Anyway, it's not a limitation on the Source engine. It's just not used in CS:S and HL2, from what we've seen.

No Shuzer, no! :)

HL2 has dynamic lighting
HL2 has dynamic shadows
HL2 does not, however, feature dynamic shadows cast by every light.

The shadows of characters are dynamic, a non-dynamic, static one would be the blob of CS. However, since HL2 only uses 1 shadowcasting entity per map, the shadows are not cast depending on the location of lights.

PvtRyan said:
No Shuzer, no! :)

HL2 has dynamic lighting
HL2 has dynamic shadows
HL2 does not, however, feature dynamic shadows cast by every light.

The shadows of characters are dynamic, a non-dynamic, static one would be the blob of CS. However, since HL2 only uses 1 shadowcasting entity per map, the shadows are not cast depending on the location of lights.

You know what I meant :)
People assume dynamic shadows == shadows being cast by multiple light sources. Why make it more technical?

I was going to edit it when I realized what I posted was inaccurate.. but it was too late, and I figured no one would be picky over my statements. ;(

Dynamic lighting is the most broad / overused and unspicific script kiddie word ever.

Shuzer said:
You know what I meant :)
People assume dynamic shadows == shadows being cast by multiple light sources. Why make it more technical?

I was going to edit it when I realized what I posted was inaccurate.. but it was too late, and I figured no one would be picky over my statements. ;(

/me gives Shuzer his coat and hat.

Go now, leave!

Jesus christ everyone talking about dynamic shadows whats the big deal? I don't look at their shadows.

I love games with really cool Shadows ( i know doom3 has cool shadows but am not really into it ) anyway, I hope that they put multiple shadows into hl2 in the future simple because i think they are cool :p
nuff said by me

bAbYhEaDcRaB said:
Dynamic lighting is the most broad / overused and unspicific script kiddie word ever.

:) You are correct. People tend to start flaming when somebody mentions it.

everything has to do with shadow in source engine is going to suck, but i don't mind at all since all i want are half life 2 and css's gameplay.

RogueShadow said:
:) You are correct. People tend to start flaming when somebody mentions it.

DYNAMIC LIGHTING!!111

/me runs away

I don't see why anyone is making a big deal about these HIGHDYNAMICRANGESUPERQUADROBUFFERHYDROPLANE-shadows,

I care about gameplay and shooting of the gun things at various enemies who shout vulgar words into the chatting machine.

edit: lol why do I have a space in BUFFER?

nw909 said:

DYNAMIC LIGHTING!!111

* nw909 runs away

I don't see why anyone is making a big deal about these HIGHDYNAMICRANGESUPERQUADROBUFFERHYDROPLANE-shadows,

I care about gameplay and shooting of the gun things at various enemies who shout vulgar words into the chatting machine.

edit: lol why do I have a space in BUFFER?

i really look forward to play a game online with dynamic lighting and shadowing, the gameplay will be different, the way we spot ennemies will be different, the way we camp will be different...that's why i'm getting doom3

Newbie's Journey said:
i really look forward to play a game online with dynamic lighting and shadowing, the gameplay will be different, the way we spot ennemies will be different, the way we camp will be different...that's why i'm getting doom3

Hate to break it to you, but Doom 3 DM is NOT tactical (well, not in a camper/cs sense)..
I doubt the shadows will provide much of any loss of cover

Newbie's Journey said:

Splinter Cell Pandora Tommorow?

meca leca hi meca hinney ho...........meca leca hi meca hinney ho......

You guys are forkin idjits.

Dynamic shadows will change how CS is played. When you can see a guy coming before he is there, you can shoot thru walls, flash, nade, whatever without him knowing.

Demonmerc said:
You guys are forkin idjits.

Dynamic shadows will change how CS is played. When you can see a guy coming before he is there, you can shoot thru walls, flash, nade, whatever without him knowing.

Um. Who said otherwise, and where?
I'd love for you to point out to me what this has to do with anything in this topic.

It's really complex to do more than 2 shadows you know. It'd be a cool effect though.

with computer hardware as it is today, Its really hard to properly. I would like it see it as an option so 5-6 years from now(people will still be playing HL2 and its mods) when the hardware can do it, so can the game.

By then pink I'm sure they will have upgraded source via steam anyway, unless, as some people have said, it is already capable of multiple shadows.

It's only important for football games anyway so you get those nice 4 player shows in a star shape anyway ;-)

If the shadows kill my fps as much as it did in farcry, you can expect it to be on the lowest setting or not on at all. :D

Mojo-Night speaketh the truth.

So does Lep. Shadows are nice for people with the computers to cope, the rest of us lowly mortals would watch our computers die.

The Source engine and current hardware are both capable of multiple dynamic shadows on a single object that depend on the position of the light sources. Watch the scene in the 5th Yahoo video of "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" at about the time where you first start shooting the gargoyle. The light directly above him is casting a dark shadow while a light near the back window (or the light from the window) casts a light shadow out in your direction. I wonder if HL2 mods will be able to do those kinds of shadows instead of the regular one-direction shadows. I guess the question is "Will we have that kind of access in the SDK?"

If they made it available for bloodlines to do it on the source engine I can;t see why they would keep it away from mod devs.

Well, Troika licensed the Source engine... so they got access to everything. The modding SDK does not include all of the source code.

OCybrManO said:
The Source engine and current hardware are both capable of multiple dynamic shadows on a single object that depend on the position of the light sources. Watch the scene in the 5th Yahoo video of "Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines" at about the time where you first start shooting the gargoyle. The light directly above him is casting a dark shadow while a light near the back window (or the light from the window) casts a light shadow out in your direction. I wonder if HL2 mods will be able to do those kinds of shadows instead of the regular one-direction shadows. I guess the question is "Will we have that kind of access in the SDK?"

Rick said that we would be able to create Doom 3 like lighting with the SDK. While I'm sure that's a bit exaggerated (Doom 3 = per pixel lights, HL2 isn't) I'm sure it's possible to let every lightsource cast a shadow.

Yeah, I thought I heard that somewhere but I couldn't find it.

In Conclusion: Source Owns.

But Valve decided the time was not yet ripe for fully dynamic lighting in such a huge game since there is no increase in image quality and a large decrease in performance.

:p

There are no dynamic shadows in the source engine, Rick Ellis said it would be possible for a mod team to add and it might be added in a future engine upgrade

Back