cs_docks for source (wip)

DjBourgeoisie

Reaction score
Looking at a release timeframe of a month or so from now. These screens are NOT the finished product. :naughty:

cs_docks0001.jpg

cs_docksd.jpg

cs_docks0002.jpg

wow, thats looking good man, keep up the good work

Good work, try to tighten up the water areas though, I always remember swimming around like a moron lost.

looks good.

I think some alpha blending on the ground texture would make it look a bit better.

mrchimp said:
looks good.

I think some alpha blending on the ground texture would make it look a bit better.

I agree, but if im not mistaken, I said these pics were not final :cheers:

Alpha Blend to textures:
Certain textures have "blend" in their name. Click the texture application tool, apply it to a face (ground for example), then click the displacement tab. Then click create and chose the power (how many areas it's subdivided into) then hit ok. Next click that face and then click "paint alpha." Now left click adds the secondary texture and right click goes back to the primary (just click on the face in the 3d view to change that area). You can change the power with the slider.... Hope that helps

Question: How did you make your rock walls so great looking. I'm guessing noise and then manually did the rest making the x-axis greater at the bottom and less at the top?? Also, how did you make the corners connect so well - I'm having problems with displacement rock walls around the map and making them line up in the corners. Thanks

What does alpha blending do? look like?

It will add texture on top of the origional texture and blend them together. If used correctly, it looks very good and adds veriety instead of 1 flat texture across a face.

wow looks sweet man :D Nice job! but you know on the wooden planks which come out, well they have like circular logs stood up on them, i think you should make them thinner. Other than that ACE job :thumbs:

Looks great but far too dark, if you want a popular CSS map make it a bit lighter. :naughty:

i started with hl1 tutorials, they really are quite simular, btw nice map so far DJ, keep it up!

fantastic - I hope other old CS maps get the Source treatment. If not by the original mappers (RIP n0thing) but by talented immitators like you!

Thanks everyone for the feedback, as for the lighting, it is not as dark as you think. In game the gamma is perfect. The only real dark area is the underwater pipe you swim thru to reach the underground sewer system. Coalslaw, tutorials will most likely be of more use than I will be, I am not that good at writing tutorials and there are tons of sites which can help you get started. Here are a few you can pull up. Good luck!

http://www.chatbear.com/board.plm?b=390

http://www.snarkpit.com/editing.php?page=tutorials&game=HL2

Here are a couple more shots, all these screens are outdated and have been improved, but since I am not doing any compiles for a couple days this will just have to do. The lighting in the sewer area for example, is much too dark in these screens, Ive totally redone it and made them much easier to see in.

cs_docks0004.jpg

cs_docksc.jpg

cs_docksa.jpg

cs_docksb.jpg

DjBourgeoisie said:
I agree, but if im not mistaken, I said these pics were not final :cheers:

I'm well aware of that. However I didn't make the presumption you were planning on doing it. I'm sorry if thats offended you in any way.

mrchimp said:
I'm well aware of that. However I didn't make the presumption you were planning on doing it. I'm sorry if thats offended you in any way.

none taken :thumbs:

Defenately cool to see an old map remapped. (R.I.P. N0TH1NG indeed btw. He commited suicide december 6th, 2000)

I was planning on redoing cs_siege, another one of N0TH1NG's maps, but the idea was not very welcome :frown:

Geronimous said:
Defenately cool to see an old map remapped. (R.I.P. N0TH1NG indeed btw. He commited suicide december 6th, 2000)

Meh, anyone that selfish to do that so near christmas can't have had much going on in his head. Think of all the people he'll have hurt and the happiest time of year ruined for his family/relatives for years to come.

Bah Humbug

Thinking straight and mental illnesses do not go hand in hand unfortunatley, and this time of year is the most common time for suicides :(

But anyway, the map looks very sweet indeed, Docks was always one of my favs of the old classic bunch, good work :thumbs:

who are we talking about here? lol

edit:

Oh, he was a well known mapper? what maps did he do? (besides this one)?

very nice map, I only wish it was for hl2dm :(

Hey, that looks awesome man. Great work. Too bad I'm glued to HL2DM now. :p

Back