Curious about the A.I.

that my friend is something i definatly agree on, physics in multiplayer will be ammazing.

btw, did u see the most recent post in the email thread. It says taht valve made the strider pilotable at one point for their own amusment. Cant wait to see a mod of that into multiplay :D

Originally posted by Apos
Monkeys can make AI more or less difficult. Interesting is way way way more important.

Interesting AI should always combine with difficulty. For example, enemies that throw grenades back at you is both a combination of thinking and making it harder on you, the player.

I have to agree with Commie and say that people are expecting too much from the AI. I can definitely see them climbing up ladders, moving through obstacles, shooting through windows, etc.

I just don't think they will be chasing us by leaping over jumps and flying through windows.

I wonder what the female assassin will be able to do....

How about you play the game first before making these assumptions?

Gabe's already said they'll be able to jump over obstacles while chasing you

And we have seen the ant lions jump from the ground onto other differing heights. Which is cool

Well the Ant Lions just came through the roof. Lol. That particularly is not A.I.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Well the Ant Lions just came through the roof. Lol. That particularly is not A.I.

Not that one, he talks about when they were jumping around, killing soldiers.

yeah, there is actually a part of the demo where an antlion jumps up onto a ledge to get to some combine soldiers. (15:45ish)

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Not that one, he talks about when they were jumping around, killing soldiers.

Yes, but how is this a demonstration of advanced A.I.?

Advanced A.I. would have to be demonstrated in one of the humanoids.

Originally posted by Lifthz
Yes, but how is this a demonstration of advanced A.I.?

Advanced A.I. would have to be demonstrated in one of the humanoids.

It just shows, that now aliens won't be stoped by standing on higher ground and shoting them, but they will actually jump. I mean if aliens can jump, I sure humans will be able to jump too.

I meant it as in they know how to navigate obsitcals. :)

The humanoids would have to use similar technics to jump over boxes and other stuff :)

But yeah, its no the MOST inpresive thing ever

For example, enemies that throw grenades back at you is both a combination of thinking and making it harder on you, the player.

The fact that it's harder is incidental. If you want harder AI all you have to do is bump up simple things like thinktime, damage, and so on. Obviously people want a challenge, but challenging people is not that hard to do at all. Challenging people in an interesting way the real ticket.

OK, I agree that the AI probably was toned down to keep things predictable for the demo, but as far as I know there is no official word on this whatsoever and everyone is acting like it's common knowledge. If anyone can provide a link showing official word on this, I'd like to see it.

I think Lifthz is being pretty realistic about the AI anyway. The whole window-shoot out bit was interesting, but it has a slightly gimmicky feel to it. I hope when we barricade a door the AI doesn't try to open it twice then shoot out a window in the exact same fashion every time. Another thing I'm worried about are the zombies. They seem to have an unhealthy obsession with barrels. In the one scene with the propeller-like device there is a line of about 3 or 4 zombies all marching towards a barrel like idiots.

What did impress me was the friendly AI during the shoot-out. I liked how the one guy put his back on the wall like in Metal Gear Solid.

Seems to me that instead of having one big script, the AI have lots of little scripts available to them.

A monster walks to a room and notices a barrel, a door and a window. This opens open a whole bunch of mini-scripted sequences that the AI can choose.

This is in itself is ok, as long as the AI doesn't ALWAYS choose to do one of these things. What I'm saying is that sure, the AI might see a bookshelf, and there might be one of these mini-scripts detailing how to tip it over onto the player, but I don't want to get stuck in a situation where EVERYTIME I get near a bookshelf I know it will get tipped onto me.

Why? Because in real life most people wouldn't think to do that. One or two might, and that's fine. It's innovative. But if each and every single AI enemy that I come across uses these utra-rare innovative techniques on me, it's going to get a little tedious...

That is my main concern for the HL2 AI. It's great if an AI can do clever things, but it has to be in rare moments of inspiration to really give you memorable moments (As opposed to just annoying you...).

Originally posted by Apos
The fact that it's harder is incidental. If you want harder AI all you have to do is bump up simple things like thinktime, damage, and so on. Obviously people want a challenge, but challenging people is not that hard to do at all. Challenging people in an interesting way the real ticket.

That's harder settings, not harder A.I. Heheh. It's relative but what you said particularly isn't A.I.

My Idea of real good A.I. is just how good the enemies are reacting to whatever you're throwing at em, and how they try to counter. Literal A.I. like that.

If you've played Halo, better yet Halo on Legendary, you'll know what I mean.

Half-Life 2 might have that degree, or perhaps even better than Halo's. My point is just I haven't seen it in display yet to judge. So i'll have to wait until the game actually comes out to test that.

Back