Custom Portal Level Made by Bethesda

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
It sounds like everyone is in love with Portal, even developers like Bethesda which who made a custom Portal level by one of their Level Designers entitled Ren Test2. [br]

[br]You can download the level here, and then follow these instructions:
- Extract the zip contents to your
?Steam\steamapps\?username?\portal\portal\maps? folder.[br]

-In Portal click on ?Bonus Maps? and you should now have a new
category called ?maps/RenTests?. This is where you?ll find all your
Ren_Test maps.

Thanks to our forum member babyheadcrab for finding this.

Havent played Portal in a while...maybe now i will.

I found it an awesome level of difficultness. Had to ask for help on the energy ball and socket puzzle. I'd got most of the way there but the plan needed a little more formulation.

Hopefully the start of loads of developers making maps.

Meh, too easy, completed it around 7 min. Energy ball duration was way too long, cut it to half and that would be a challenge.

Way harder than any of the original portal maps for me.
Took me about 30 mins.

It was tough, but I won through a glitch. The energy ball, I found, was going through walls/getting stuck in floor. Well, when I finally figured out how to beat the energy ball puzzle, I had it...but instead of going into the socket, it went through it, and started bouncing off walls. Granted, after it bounced a bit, it hit the wall where the socket is on the other side, and connected with the socket. So I really don't know how that happened.

Fun map, though. I can't seem to finish it. I get in the elevator, and it fades to black, and that's it, it doesn't disconnect me or anything..haha.

Really cool map. I really had to sit and think for a bit.

I wonder if people won the same way I did.

It took me more time to find the pole switch in the South Western corner of the main chamber (that flips the diagonal sheet so you can momentum-jump) than it took me to complete the rest of the level. This is not a criticism of the rest of the level, just proof that Valve is right when they play test every simpleton in order to see where they should put the 'oi! look at me!' signs.

Beyond that though, a rather satisfying puzzle to wrap your head around.
Wow, even more respect to Valve. Man this is cool. Oh and btw is this the same developer who made ren-test1?
Three posts above you :) Think I'll bookmark that page...

cool level. by the way, this is from a level designer at bethesda done in his spare time, its not made by or endorsed by bethesda.

Great map. Along with Advanced chamber 18 the hardest puzzle maps at the moment. Good stuff.

I feel dumb, I can't figure this out. :/

I'm in the very first room, and I managed to get up to the second level platform using the momentum from placing two portals right above one another and then mid-trajectory firing a portal to the angled panel. I flipped the switch and some sign turned orange with a check...now I'm stuck. I see the "duct" along the ceiling that leads to the switch behind the glass, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the ball in there. I tried jumping from the angled platform into a portal on the ground and propelling myself upwards and forward to pass in front of it, while holding the ball of course, so I could drop it, however it didn't work, or I was unable to get the ball in there. Is this the correct and/or only way to solve this? I can't see any other solution.

I feel dumb, I can't figure this out. :/

I'm in the very first room, and I managed to get up to the second level platform using the momentum from placing two portals right above one another and then mid-trajectory firing a portal to the angled panel. I flipped the switch and some sign turned orange with a check...now I'm stuck. I see the "duct" along the ceiling that leads to the switch behind the glass, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the ball in there. I tried jumping from the angled platform into a portal on the ground and propelling myself upwards and forward to pass in front of it, while holding the ball of course, so I could drop it, however it didn't work, or I was unable to get the ball in there. Is this the correct and/or only way to solve this? I can't see any other solution.
The orange tick after you flip the switch is a sign that you have unlocked the door which is half way up the far wall (iirc). The rest should become apparent.

Nice little challenging level. Really has you think differently than what you're used to in the regular Portal maps. I finished it in about 30 minutes.

Meh, too easy, completed it around 7 min. Energy ball duration was way too long, cut it to half and that would be a challenge.

Sure you completed it in 7 mins... :LOL:

dekstar said:
Made me think more than most of the original maps, but I completed it in about 10 minutes. The first time the room span I was amazed. It was awesomely done.
This is his page where you can download his first test too: http://www.twhl.co.za/userprofile.php?id=5021

You too - I don't believe you finished it in 10 mins.

It took me more time to find the pole switch in the South Western corner of the main chamber (that flips the diagonal sheet so you can momentum-jump) than it took me to complete the rest of the level. This is not a criticism of the rest of the level, just proof that Valve is right when they play test every simpleton in order to see where they should put the 'oi! look at me!' signs.

Beyond that though, a rather satisfying puzzle to wrap your head around.

Three posts above you :) Think I'll bookmark that page...

Actually I think it's proof that you need to look around the room and stop turning sillyness into conclusions about game design.

Actually I think it's proof that you need to look around the room and stop turning sillyness into conclusions about game design.

I found it ok myself...but I dont think the 1st few times I clicked it I realised it was actually changing that part of the wall as there wasn't alot guiding my eye there and I was starring out towards the other direction. So it could have been marked better, but finding the pole itself wasn't too hard.

Anyway good map. The plasma ball took me ages to work out. I was at the point where I was going to try using the companion ball to knock it into my own portal to the side until I realised how to do it properly.

Not finished it quite yet, awesome from what ive seen so far, thumbs up from me :)

good map

lots of the ball clipping through the walls though if it gets deflected

I loved this map, really awesome concept! My only gripe is the weird behaviour of the energy ball - it seems it gets destroyed and recreated every time it hits something? I got killed once because of the glitchiness to do with it. Otherwise great map! Didn't take me much longer than 10 minutes, but it didn't feel too short.

Back