CVG Write Up of Episode Two...Spoilers!

Well actually the xenians came through first (and I assumed weakened us (except the vorts)) and then the combine came through later.

The key word is "destroyed". As you said Xenians weakened us...but the Combine destroyed us. :p

still haven't implemented depth of field I see or any cinematic effects they previewed with DOD:S a long time ago...

The screenshots are all I wanted as proof.

Still, rubber legged Alyx is what confuddles me.

EDIT: Gawddammit, those hunters look shiney. Like anal probes. D:

The first thing that came to my mind was crusty old boot. But then I looked harder, and it became so bloody obvious: Mecha goddamned Breen is in the house.

:LOL:

anyway: looking that pic closely I noticed that trees in the background are somewhat pixelated, tough not in a "jpeg way"...
maybe they're messing around with some image-based rendering thingie

I'm also trying to figure out what's wrong with this picture

I don't know who've taken the pics, but they should realy learn about the 'newest invention in the 3d rendering' called antialiasing...And those strange artifacts, hmm...

omg aahhhh i havent read the preview yet ......but seen the pics woooty new pics which look awesome

now means i havent read the preview yet do u think i should....does it give too much ep2 story away

given that the things i know already are
alyx doesnt die and is with you quite alot of ep
there is some new character
its set in forest with less linear gameplay
u have strder buster
lookin at pics i assume there is portal storms prob from sending that signal from citadel

+ someone from the main characters die, and it's not Alyx or Gordon (obviously). Phew! I'm glad it's neither one of them two.

PS: You know i just had the strangest enlightment! One character does die, but who said we won't see him anymore? Valve haven't said anything like this, it's just a mind game they throw on us! My bet is that Alyx does dies, but later is revived by the vorts... sounds logical and fits nicely in the storyline.

Episode Three has been in development for as long as Episode Two already.

this is a quote from cvg website

does anyone think valve are gonna do a matrix and release ep2 and ep3 very close together like 6 months apart or summit

+ someone from the main characters die, and it's not Alyx or Gordon (obviously). Phew! I'm glad it's neither one of them two.

PS: You know i just had the strangest enlightment! One character does die, but who said we won't see him anymore? Valve haven't said anything like this, it's just a mind game they throw on us! My bet is that Alyx does dies, but later is revived by the vorts... sounds logical and fits nicely in the storyline.
We need spoiler tags now.SPOILER!!

There is a multi core benchmark test the hl2world boys got their hands on. Some Episode 2 files are in there. Well they say by reading some of the labels, Eli dies by "Fred". Fred sounds like another combine guy only with a sniper rifle. http://www.hl2world.com/bbs/episode-2-spoilers-massive-based-on-techdemo-vt47396.html So far everything in this thread has been confirmed by those file names btw.

That stuff in the hunter close-up might be hunter gore, you can kinda see sparks coming off the hunter in one of the trailers, but this is obviously a vast improvement.

Good lord those are awesome pics!
Looks more like a full game then an episode, as a matter of fact.

Only sad thing is, the episode 3 trailer once we beat it is gonna make me piss my pants, probably...

Hopefully we'll be seeing soldiers with slightly different suits as well, a la Nova Prospekt, maybe they'd come from the other cities, and have different armband symbols and such?

We'll see.

And what did the Combine do with the tau cannon they stol from the buggy?

Tau-elites in episode 3?

No matter how long ep3 has been in development, its going to be delayed.

Fascinating article, though I'll regret reading it (and any other ep2 preview for that matter) when I finally play through the game. Each article means fewer surprises.

That stuff in the hunter close-up might be hunter gore, you can kinda see sparks coming off the hunter in one of the trailers, but this is obviously a vast improvement.

I thought it was from the hunter's plasma fire hitting the player. V:|V

Fascinating article, though I'll regret reading it (and any other ep2 preview for that matter) when I finally play through the game. Each article means fewer surprises.
Same here, but I can't help but read them :(

I like them better, actually.

Of course you do. You never prefer older screenshots or trailers, never :) But what is it you like better about the new forest screenshots? To me these forest screenshots look older than the trailers. I prefer the greener forest from the trailer. The mountains in the back of these new screens are nice though. I guess it would be cool if the forest and its look and feel would slowly change during your journey towards the Arctic. Because it would be a shame if this new forest look would replace the (imo better) old forest look.

The new forest looks more dark and gritty, IMO. Not like a happy tropical paradise.

Remember that there will no doubt be different sections and thus different looks of the forest.

If you meen the boxes on the shelves, these could be only decoy objects.

are we sure that the pic with the hunter in our face isn't just a flash sequence and that stuff is just portal residue or something?

Whats with all the screenshots, they all look like they have been gif-ed or all settings in game were set to low

The shots do look pretty horrible with the fugly looking trees, foliage and low res textures. I hope this isn't the final product. Though, the shots with alyx and the one with the hunter alone doesn't look all too bad.

Even on low settings the things don't get so mixed up. Objects displaced and extremely aliased, shadows erraticaly casted, and even some unidentified things popping up around.
These screenshots look like they were taken from early development stage test levels for Ep2.

Maybe they're making it look as bad as possible, so that when it finally comes out we'll all be blown away?

The new Portal screenshots don't look bad to me, but then there aren't any outdoor environments there.

Aww I just noticed. The Hunters ain't metallic green anymore. Now like metallic...grey.

They went through plenty of revisions didn't they? In the trailer which played after EP1 they were sort of bluish, then another trailer showed them as shiny green and now they are just boring grey. I liked them green. :(

It could just be the light.

No man, look at the screeny of the hunter close up, and the forest ones. They have different lighting but in both the Hunters are grey.

Edit: Hmmm...looking at the outdoor shot again they appear to be slightly greenish. Dirty greenish. But in the 2nd trailer they had a much brighter green sheen.

Back